Missing debarkation due to travel delay

jean212

sorry - I meant embarkation! and I will look for the person's review who missed the ship. We have a 2 hour time frame to get to the ship. We've never done this before and are starting to sweat. But we did purchase insurance.

sorry - I meant embarkation! and I will look for the person's review who missed the ship. We have a 2 hour time frame to get to the ship. We've never done this before and are starting to sweat. But we did purchase insurance.

here is the thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=807052&highlight=imsailing

Has anyone missed boarding the ship due to an airline delay? If so, what did you do?

With the mess that todays airlines are facing, shortage of fuel with US Airways etc, many planes removed from the fleet, cancellations, weather delays and lost of luggage etc. You should plan on flying in a day or 2 early.

Fred

thanks for your answers - at this point, we haven't decided what to do. We may just book a one way to get down there earlier, and just lose the first ticket. We were assigned these flights because we used an airline promotion from a cellphone purchase; by the way, we'll be flying out of Dulles, so it's not like leaving from another country (Canada). Thanks again.

aren't you checked in once your funpass is complete?

Bill

No... your paper work is complete, as far as Carnival is concerned, but you still have to present your identification credentials prior to boarding the ship. Unless you're VIP that can take a while...

thanks for your answers - at this point, we haven't decided what to do. We may just book a one way to get down there earlier, and just lose the first ticket. We were assigned these flights because we used an airline promotion from a cellphone purchase; by the way, we'll be flying out of Dulles, so it's not like leaving from another country (Canada). Thanks again.

Be aware that if you "Just Lose" your first ticket and don't take that flight, your return flight reservation will automatically be cancelled by the airline.

It's not just Canada. We really thought we'd miss our ship last fall and we were booked to fly the day before. After we were delayed we could not make our connection and all other flights that night and the next morning were booked. We spent a VERY stressful couple of hours at the airport trying to decide what to do. The earliest the airline could get us in was 4pm the next day - the same time the ship sailed.

We were just getting ready to see what our options were to meet the ship in Cozumel three days later when, by some miracle, something opened up on the first flight out the next morning and they were able to get us out in time to land in FLL the next morning. So we went back home for the night, slept very little wondering if we would be fogged in the next morning (common in our area when it rains) and luckily the flights were only slightly delayed so we made it.

But I won't even book an evening flight the day before now. We had been in six months of drought here and finally got our much needed rain - for the three days right before we left and it backed up the whole air system. I had backup flights planned out and they were all full when we needed them.

In Mar. 2000, almost our entire family missed a sailing of Costa's Atlantica from Miami due to an American Airline issue in Houston. We had purchased all air through the cruise line. Costa re-routed our "re-scheduled and much delayed" flight onto Key West later on that evening and put us up in a hotel in Key West for the night along with breakfast the next morning. We joined the ship in Key West on the next day.

Costa reimbursed us for one day of the cruise and long distance phone calls made from ship-to-shore to the one family member flying in from another city. Costa also provided our group of 12 with a one hour complimentary cocktail party. American Airlines vouchered us the cost of the flight to Miami.

The key to the above post is "March 2000". While cruises lines may choose to accomodate delayed travellers, they are not contractually obligated to do so. In this day and age, it is less and less common to see such extraordinary customer service afforded to passengers. The moral: Buy insurance, have back-up plans.

There was a thread on here a couple of years ago about some people missed the boat in Mexico? The woman told the story of their trials and tribulations driving thru Central America without documentation trying for many days to catch up with the ship. The story went on for thousands of words and dozens of posts by her. It was a grabber, sad, funny, pathetic, frustrating and a good read.

The moral of the story was, "You DON'T want to miss the ship!!!!!"

Dan

I travel often for work and vacation. With the travel airlines changing

the way the do business. When I travel anymore there a few things

I will keep in mind.

1. When cruising I will travel AT least the day before with a early AM

departure. Giving me time for airline bumps and cancellation.

2. If you with in one day - 2 day drive, I will drive if possible.

3. If you can not get a direct flight. Don't let the airlines book you

on a flight with a connecting lest than 90 minutes. I have missed TOO

many flights while sitting on the 1st plane waiting for a gate to open.

4. Check and recheck you flights. They change your flights with out notice

anymore.

No... your paper work is complete, as far as Carnival is concerned, but you still have to present your identification credentials prior to boarding the ship. Unless you're VIP that can take a while...

But how does it really work though? They can't just at 2:30pm tell anyone that shows up after that, "sorry no cruise".:confused: can they?

Lots of planes arrive late and Carnival air has some people landing way too close to that 90 minute mark.

If you weren't at the original point of embarkation how would be allowed to catch up with the ship?

These rules get more and more confusing as time goes on.:confused:

Bill

You mean embark....(getting on)....:D

Boarding and embarking are one in the same.....To board the ship means to get on it....

You cannot embark if you do not board......:rolleyes:

For the OP...By insurance...In todays economy and with what the airlines are doing it is worth the $60 or $70 to do this....Then you won't have to worry if the worst happens......

Boarding and embarking are one in the same.....To board the ship means to get on it....

You cannot embark if you do not board......:rolleyes:

For the OP...By insurance...In todays economy and with what the airlines are doing it is worth the $60 or $70 to do this....Then you won't have to worry if the worst happens......

Sorry...I read the title like I thought it was supposed to be........LOL.......Oh well.....;)

But how does it really work though? They can't just at 2:30pm tell anyone that shows up after that, "sorry no cruise".:confused: can they?

Lots of planes arrive late and Carnival air has some people landing way too close to that 90 minute mark.

If you weren't at the original point of embarkation how would be allowed to catch up with the ship?

These rules get more and more confusing as time goes on.:confused:

Bill

Actually they can deny you boarding after submission of the manifest. The Govt did not make any allowances for the cruiselines to submit an update like they did for the airlines. Now the cruiselines can hold off submitting the manifest but it will delay the departure time as they have to wait 60 minutes for the list to be vetted.

I see on Carnival's website they have clarified the rules again.

*You must be checked-in 90 minutes prior if you havent filled out the Funpass.

*You must be checked-in 60 minutes prior if you have filled it out.

*The manifest must be submitted 60 minutes before sailing.

Now on my ticket for my Aug 30th sailing it says the latest time for check-in is 2:30pm for the 4pm sailing.

Dave

Dave is right about the manifest time limits. There is no leeway, and filling out an online check-in will at least get you on the manifest preliminary list, but you do have to physically show up within the time frame to get on the submitted list.

There have been posts on other lines (I recall it was Port Everglades) about folks showing up at the piers 58 minutes before sailing only to find the gate closed, even though the ship was at the dock and did not sail for nearly another hour. And no, they did not open the gate and let them on and they did watch their ship sail away without them. (Can't recall if they met the ship at the next port or not)

Flying has become so stressful and uncertain that our family won't do it anymore. We live in the Toronto area and choose to cruise out of New York because it's an easy eight hour drive for us. We always go a few days early and have the added bonus of spending time in a fantastic city before our cruise. This might not work for everyone but it makes a great cruise experience for us.

Be aware that if you "Just Lose" your first ticket and don't take that flight, your return flight reservation will automatically be cancelled by the airline.

This is very important advice for the OP to heed! The only option to this is to pay the change fee and any fare difference, or just take the risk that you'll arrive with enough time (that's not a risk I would be comfortable with myself).

You never know what can happen with the weather. We got off the Triumph on Sunday, July 13 and had a 12:40 flight to Atlanta out of Ft. Lauderdale. There were huge storms in Atlanta, and the Atlanta airport completely closed down for hours. We finally left Ft. Lauderdale at 5:10 (couldn't get a gate when we landed, so we did not get to a gate until 8:30). Anyone who had to go through Atlanta on Sunday enroute to a cruise probably missed the ship. We always take a flight the day before a cruse-you just never know what will happen.

Archived