Just Making Sure... ;) - Cruise one week away

JHaze

Hey Everyone,

I've read a lot of the various posts on this page and have it pretty much narrowed it down to going to Orient beach and maybe going to Maho to see the planes land. However, I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss any "MUST SEES or MUST DOS" while in St. Maartin. For example, I went to Jost Van Dyke and the Soggy Dolllar and ordering a pain killer is what I would consider a must do. Thus...

1) Are there any must see/do bars on Orient Beach. I have read about the Pirate and printed off their online coupon. I read the bikini beach bar is typically quite crowded, as probalby most of orient beach will be. Any recommendations?

2) I read Orient beach is something like $6 or $7/pp each way. What would it cost to go from Orient to Maho and from Maho to back to the the cruise port? Also, is this a good plan or am I missing something.

I thought about Bernard's tour, but it is just my brother and I (

27 and 25) and our trip is a week away on the Carnival Valor and I'm sure he's booked. Not to mention, we have no need to do any shopping in St. Maartin.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Jack

Hey Everyone,

I've read a lot of the various posts on this page and have it pretty much narrowed it down to going to Orient beach and maybe going to Maho to see the planes land. However, I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss any "MUST SEES or MUST DOS" while in St. Maartin. For example, I went to Jost Van Dyke and the Soggy Dolllar and ordering a pain killer is what I would consider a must do. Thus...

1) Are there any must see/do bars on Orient Beach. I have read about the Pirate and printed off their online coupon. I read the bikini beach bar is typically quite crowded, as probalby most of orient beach will be. Any recommendations?

2) I read Orient beach is something like $6 or $7/pp each way. What would it cost to go from Orient to Maho and from Maho to back to the the cruise port? Also, is this a good plan or am I missing something.

27 and 25) and our trip is a week away on the Carnival Valor and I'm sure he's booked. Not to mention, we have no need to do any shopping in St. Maartin.

Thanks,

Jack

1. Most of the bars are similar on Orient. We personally enjoy those at the Waikiki and Bikini Beach end which have better chairs (with pads) but are also a little more expensive. It's also less crowded and IMHO a nicer part of the beach.

2. Not sure of the rate between Maho and Orient but they are on opposite ends of the island. I don't think during a cruise stop that you really want to spend that kind of time in a cab. Maho is neat to see because of the landings but the beach does not compare otherwise to Orient.

I hope this helps.

Hey Everyone,

Thanks,

Jack

If I were you I would go to Baie Rouge beach and than to Maho on the back to the ship.

Thanks for the replies... Much Appreciated!

Haven't heard anything about Baie Rouge Beach. Any must go to bars or drinks there? What makes it so great and is it on the french or dutch side?

Also, Orient Beach is walkable right? Also, is the orient beach area made up of smaller beaches like Bikini Beach, etc. or is that just the name of the Bar? Just Curious.

Thanks,

Jack

When you say refer to Orient Beach as "walkable" I'm not sure if you mean you can walk to it from the port or you can walk up and down the beach.

If its the former, then no, its not walkable. You'll have to take a cab. Orient Beach is on the French side of the Island and the cruise port is on the Dutch side.

But I see that you have already referred to the cab fare in your post indicating that you know a cab is necessary.

If you mean the later, then yes you can walk up and down the beach and enjoy the sites.

Don't forget to allow plenty of time to get back to ship. The traffic can get congested late in the afternoon.

I have also read that some cabs will do an island tour pretty cheap. You may want to have a cab initally give you a go around the island including a quick stop at Maho and then drop you off for the rest of the day at Orient. I had seen the list of cab fares on a St. Marten web site a while back. You may want to do a google search. It was a list of all the cab rates to take you to and from where ever you might be interested in going.

Thanks for the replies... Much Appreciated!

Haven't heard anything about Baie Rouge Beach. Any must go to bars or drinks there? What makes it so great and is it on the french or dutch side?

Also, Orient Beach is walkable right? Also, is the orient beach area made up of smaller beaches like Bikini Beach, etc. or is that just the name of the Bar? Just Curious.

Thanks,

Jack

Here is some information about Orient Beach that I found very helpful.

Hope it helps you too. :)

http://home.carolina.rr.com/photos2005/SmallOrientPanorama.htm

Archived