April 2009 Booked Out

fivestar

Such disappointing news from our Travel Agent to say cabins all booked out for the Dubai to Istanbul in April on the Spirit and have to be wait listed. Obviously a popular segment for the Spirit and unfortunately we can only travel during these dates.

They recommended another cruise line to do the same trip and I almost fainted - couldn't think of not travelling on Seabourn for this journey!!!!

From past experience does anyone think it is worth wait listing for this journey in the hope that something may turn up?

Dear Five Star,

We cruised on the Spirit Dubai to Istanbul 2006 and had the most wonderful time. We met a few couples who were wait-listed and managed to get a cabin so you certainly have a chance. As wripro said some people do drop out once the final payment is due.

Good luck.

Off to pay the deposit tomorrow and let you all know what happens. If all goes according to plan then I will be back on this board asking hotel recommendations. Don't want to start the ball rolling just yet but i cannot stop feeling excited that I may be cruising with Seabourn once again.

Clarky, since you have done this trip I will definately be in touch, thanks:)

There is so much unrest in Turkey, and with yesterday's fatal bombings in Istanbul, one wonders whether cruise ships will be altering their itineraries. Certainly if the violence in Itanbul continues into 09, there will be cancellations and changes with all the cruise lines.

There is so much unrest in Turkey, and with yesterday's fatal bombings in Istanbul, one wonders whether cruise ships will be altering their itineraries. Certainly if the violence in Itanbul continues into 09, there will be cancellations and changes with all the cruise lines.

not for me :)

We have been to Istanbul with Seabourn twice and would not think of missing it because of violence in the non tourist parts of the city. From what I can tell most of the activity has taken place outside of the major tourist areas. Our first time in Istanbul was a week after 9/11 ( we felt very safe and very welcome by all of the Turks we met). A short time after our second visit to Istanbul there was the bombing at the Jewish synagogue( this was the only bombing that I am aware of that was anywhere near a toursit area). Only difference from the first trip was that I did notice more young women wearing head scarves. We always stayed at the FourSeasons in the Sultanhamet because a) it was charming and b) it was a convenient location for seeing everything without resorting to taxis( directly between the Aya Sofia and the Blue Mosque). There are bombings in London and people still feel safe there. It would be a shame if Seabourn over reacts and takes Istanbul off their itinerary.

Well maybe I will get onboard afterall if some travellers are unsure of the location!

I would have stopped travelling years ago if I was concerned or scared off. There are so magical places in the world for DH and myself to explore. One never knows what tomorrow will bring and that's the excitement of travel and the joy of living.

Archived