What to buy in Halifax and Saint John, NB?

Our cruise in October will stop at these two ports. We plan to buy gifts to bring back for family and friends that represents the Canada/New England area. I'm looking for a special items (food or craft) that you fellow cruiser bought to bring home. Our stop in Saint John will be short because of a long excursion that we booked so we probably will only visit the City Market. Our cruise also stops at Newport, Boston and Bar Harbor.

Our cruise in October will stop at these two ports. We plan to buy gifts to bring back for family and friends that represents the Canada/New England area. I'm looking for a special items (food or craft) that you fellow cruiser bought to bring home. Our stop in Saint John will be short because of a long excursion that we booked so we probably will only visit the City Market. Our cruise also stops at Newport, Boston and Bar Harbor.

A great gift from the Saint John City Market would be a bottle of pure Canadian Maple Syrup. If you are buying something for tea drinkers, maybe a Tea Cozy with a local theme on it. You could get a unique blend of coffee beans from Java Moose - like the Fog Horn blend (a local favorite). Pat's in the centre isle has alot of sweaters/jackets etc... with Saint John or New Brunswick or Canada embroidery. If you have Irish hertitage a great store to visit would be The House of Tara located in Market Square (not to be confused with city market). Locals sell hand made jewelry outdoors at Loyalist Plaza. Constipated from the food on ship? - find out what "Dulse" is in the city market and eat half a bag (it's an acquired taste). A gentlemen also selld ceramics made from Bay of Fundy clay - he is typically in the entrance to the city market.

A great gift from the Saint John City Market would be a bottle of pure Canadian Maple Syrup. If you are buying something for tea drinkers, maybe a Tea Cozy with a local theme on it. You could get a unique blend of coffee beans from Java Moose - like the Fog Horn blend (a local favorite). Pat's in the centre isle has alot of sweaters/jackets etc... with Saint John or New Brunswick or Canada embroidery. If you have Irish hertitage a great store to visit would be The House of Tara located in Market Square (not to be confused with city market). Locals sell hand made jewelry outdoors at Loyalist Plaza. Constipated from the food on ship? - find out what "Dulse" is in the city market and eat half a bag (it's an acquired taste). A gentlemen also selld ceramics made from Bay of Fundy clay - he is typically in the entrance to the city market.

Acey---you forgot to mention the pure maple sugar candies----to die for. Available at Slocum and Ferris in the City Market.

Dulse is also great for a sore throat, although I think it is something you have to grow up eating in order to appreciate the taste. It is always fun to watch the expression on the face of someone tasting it for the first time.

In Halifax, although you can't take it with you, don't miss the chance to get a Cow's Ice Cream cone at the waterfront stand behind the Historic Properties. Have lunch at Salty's and then go next door to Cow's for your ice cream.

There is going to be a lot of vendors set up right next to the boat dock in Halifax. Lots of stuff from local vendors there, stuff actually made by people in Canada. I hate bringing back stuff that says 'made in China' :-)

These are a little pricier than your typical souvenirs but two beautiful items we've bought in Halifax are crystal and Nova Scotia tartans.

The crystal is right at the waterfront shops at Nova Scotian Crystal.

http://www.novascotiancrystal.com/

The tartans are also at the waterfront shops. I don't think they are made in Nova Scotia (England maybe?) but the Nova Scotia tartan pattern is beautiful.

Also try the shops at the Pier 21 museum. My mom got a couple of handcrafted bowls there.

Viv

nice stuff, but really expensive and highly breakable, not something I would want to have to schlep home with me. I collect shot glasses and/or thimbles, cheap, small, easy to transport and doesn't take up alot of room at home (I don't drink, so they are for decoration only!)

In 2004, at the Halifax dockside market, I bought books written by local authors who autographed them for me. I don't know if they are always there, but the books made nice gifts and they weren't big and heavy.

Halifax has many nice shops near the pier. The pier itself has a massive covered shopping area that is very nice with tons of gifts. You can shop in your extra time with NO worries that you are cutting it close to departure as the ship is right there.

We bought some nice things in town returned to the ship and I went back out to shop for extra things at the pier area by myself. Something normally I wouldn't do.

If you like pewter, Aitkens Pewter in Brunswick Square Shopping Centre in Saint John has lovely little Christmas tree ornaments which depict some of the better known landmarks in Saint John. They are New Brunswick made and easy to carry when you are travelling. They also have a great collection of other pewter items.

Archived