What did you buy to bring home from Bar Harbor or Newport?

cs4225

We will be cruising these two ports in early October. I was wondering what we could buy for gifts to bring home that would be special for the region. From my research it seems that anything blueberry would be a good gift from Bar Harbor. Any suggestions?

Bar Harbor, yes, anything blueberry - muffin mixes, waffle and pancake mixes (anything from Stonewall Kitchen - made in York Maine), maple syrup (although that's a liquid), lots of wooden items- like bowls, salad tongs, ceramics - beautiful pottery, lots of art - paintings, prints of the area, Christmas ornaments. You name it - it's there. Lots of things that are nautical in nature.

I went to Bar Harbor as a kid 20 years ago and remember getting a cool as a moose sweatshirt. I swear the store was even called cool as a moose. It came with a cute sunglasses pin that you wore over the moose's eyes! If that store is still around something from their for kids or adult kids would be memorable.

• 2 years later...
State stone in Maine is tourmaline and there are several stores in town that sell it - be sure to look for watermelon tourmaline (has both pink and green to the stone)

I was reviewing my previous posting and came upon this old one. We really enjoyed Bar Harbor and after our tour to Acadia Park we spent the rest of the day in town. We stopped at one of the jewelry stores that sell tourmaline and my wife found a pair of tiny watermelon tourmaline earrings. Even I thought it was nice and if it was priced right ($150 -$300) I may have bought it but I only told her much later. The salesgirl came to assist us and she checked the price on the tag $1500. I never bought it but we did buy a bunch of blueberry jam at another store and the flavor was intense.

In Bar Habor we got our ever-grateful lab "Rio" a wonderful souvenir at Bark Harbor which also has kitty gifts. They donate portion of their proceeds to animal welfare..

http://www.bark-harbor.com

Very cute pet boutique.

For Christmas souvenir we got ornaments at Christmas Spirit Shop, also on Main St.

Archived