Teens on Summit Xmas Cruise???

as41shots

We're thinking of booking the Summit Dec. 20 cruise with another family. We have two boys 14 and 18, their boy is 14.

While I fully expect that there will not be as many kids their age as on a Royal Caribbean cruise, I'm thinking there should still be plenty of kids to keep them happy.

Any thoughts? I'm especially curious about the 18 year old category because he will be too old to participate in the teen activities, but too young to participate in some of the other activities (which is a good thing :-)).

Our first ever cruise was on Horizon to Bermuda about 8 years ago, and since then we've done 2 on RCCL and an Alaska cruise with both sets of grandparents on HAL. Always thought X was a notch above, but since that was our first time we were easily swayed by the service, the food, and Bermuda.

Your input and guidance is much appreciated. Thanks.

Christmas is a popular family cruising time, especially with older children. You will find lots of multi-generational groups and every age range will be represented. I think they may even have some kind of get-together for the 18-20 year olds to give them a chance to meet others. It's a tricky "in between" age but you're choosing a great time to cruise with him.

We took our 19 yr old last year on Summit to Hawaii over Xmas--he loved it! We made new friends thru our cruise connections who also had an 18 year old son and we linked our bookings and got a table for 6; the boys loved it. (We all even went to specialty restaurant twice as a group with the boys). Now for the rest of the story: teens this age feel as if they are adults so you need to empasize your family's rules (what time they get in and how to communicate (we used notes) so you knew where they were late at night and that they were safe. New Year's Eve was an issue for many parents as X put out trays of unsupervised champagne close to midnight and the kids (including ours) lifted multiple trays easily. Otherwise drinking wasn't a big issue as their X cards were punched.

Archived