No verndahs left for 2009 Alaska cruises?

Tarheel72

Checking the southbound Seward-Vancover sailings for summer 2009 on HAL webiste shows all Verandahs closed out on every sailing? Does this sound right or are they just off line today? On the other hand, is a Verandah class cabin necessary or is an outside cabin just as good? I heard that you spend lots of time on deck viewing anyway? Any past Alaska cruisers care to comment on that?

This has been a big gripe of ours with HAL.

In 2003 and 2006 our TA fought tooth and nail to get us our S suite that we wanted for both North bound and South bound (big bucks). Finally after 2 months of calling HAL and her talking to numerous supervisors, they released the Suite we wanted.

HAL is under the impression that everyone going on a cruise tour wants a balcony or verandah. But we have found that not to be the case. In fact in 2006 very few of the land people booked anything higher than an outside - most had insides. They had already paid a big price for the land tour and many of them had 3, 4 and 5 in their families and they were not going to book verandahs and etc.

Next Alaskan cruises for us will be Princess.

On the North and South bound Alaska itineraries, the verandahs are held for cruisetour guests.

OK, I understand your answer. When do they finally release these for booking without a Cruise Tour?

If I planned on a trip to Denali prior to sailing do you think it is better to do a cruise tour as opposed to doing it on my own? One problem I have is the Cruise Tour starts in Fairbanks and that means I have to incur added travel costs to get from Anchorage to Fairbanks. Otherwise I can just arrange to go to Denali from Anchorage, spend a few days, and then return to Anchorage where I can catch a HAL shuttle at the airport for transfer to the ship or book the Alaska railroad to Seward.

Thanks

On the other hand, is a Verandah class cabin necessary or is an outside cabin just as good? I heard that you spend lots of time on deck viewing anyway? Any past Alaska cruisers care to comment on that?
We think on R & S class ships the way to go is a Lower Promenade cabin that gives quick access to outside on either side of the ship. And, in AK, we spend very little time in our cabin anyway.

I have to incur added travel costs to get from Anchorage to Fairbanks. Otherwise I can just arrange to go to Denali from Anchorage, spend a few days, and then return to Anchorage where I can catch a HAL shuttle at the airport for transfer to the ship or book the Alaska railroad to Seward.
Why not fly direct to Fairbanks (probably connecting in Seattle) ?

Checking the southbound Seward-Vancover sailings for summer 2009 on HAL webiste shows all Verandahs closed out on every sailing? Does this sound right or are they just off line today? On the other hand, is a Verandah class cabin necessary or is an outside cabin just as good? I heard that you spend lots of time on deck viewing anyway? Any past Alaska cruisers care to comment on that?

For our June 15 NB cruise, HAL released the verandahs at the beginning of March. They were only available for a few days. You can go on a waiting list for one.

This was our first cruise and we are always thrifty travellers. The cost of a verandah just didn't seem worth it to us. We had an outside and loved it. The only time we were in our room was to unpack, sleep, change clothes and pack up. We truly wanted to be out on deck or in the crow's nest for the panoramic view at every possible opportunity. We went to Alaska to see Alaska, and I believe being out on deck is the best way to see it. We were on the Volendam which took the small craft route. It was awesome. We love scenic places and we were rewarded with an especially scenic cruise, which was most enjoyed on deck. IMHO

If I planned on a trip to Denali prior to sailing do you think it is better to do a cruise tour as opposed to doing it on my own? One problem I have is the Cruise Tour starts in Fairbanks and that means I have to incur added travel costs to get from Anchorage to Fairbanks. Otherwise I can just arrange to go to Denali from Anchorage, spend a few days, and then return to Anchorage where I can catch a HAL shuttle at the airport for transfer to the ship or book the Alaska railroad to Seward.

Thanks

I would suggest doing the tour on your own. We did 9 days post cruise by ourselves and it was great. We stayed in B&Bs and got the opportunity to speak to many Alaskans. It is easy to get around Alaska. No need for a GPS. If you are going to Denali, spend at least 2 nights there. We spent three and were happy we did.

I highly recommend the railroad to Seward from Anchorage. It is one amazing journey!!! It is supposed to be the most scenic railroad stretch in the mainland of Alaska. We were in awe the whole time. Very, very scenic!!! If you could give yourself an extra day in Seward, that would be great too. We spent two days there and loved the area.

I second the recommendation on the railroad from Anchorage to Seward. It is a fantastic experience.

We just did a southbound on the Volendam and were very pleased with our outside cabin. We had a window and could look out, but spent a lot of time outside on the lower promenade. It is great the have room to walk around-switch from port to starboard easily, etc.

Verandah's willl likely be available in the spring. The same with many hotel rooms. I found a lot of non-available in Nov.-Feb., then found lots of rooms later. I guess they were held by tours????????:)

Archived