Car rentals

tupper10

Was that an aspersion on Aussie drivers and/or tourists??? We found the worst roads were the supposed main highways which carried lots of traffic (and trucks) driving very fast but which were narrow, winding and had their fair share of pot holes/ broken edging.

Take it whatever way you want. I am an Aussie (Melbourne), it was an Aussie, and I had given way to an approaching vehicle which had crossed and then started off when it was clear. We were driving down the West Coast at the time.

Driving in Italy was a pleasure compared to some of our experiences in our home country.

David

I was quite concerned reading one of the posts since we are using Pegasus to rent our car In Tauranga. I contacted them and we do have the collision insurance for the day and full insurance which is confirmed. We are also renting the car for only one day which is a Saturday. As I recall new people took over this franchise which are all individually owned since people on these posts had problems with the cars and I was also going to go with Hertz/Avis and do the taxi thing. I would check them out again. They are very responsive to emails.

I received an email back from Pegasus confirming that they don't have any collison/full insurance to waive the $2912. Who did you book this through as my email back is from Pegasus. They even checked with their insurance broker to see if they could accomodate and they couldn't. They recommended that I have an add on to my Trip Insurance for Car Rental?? Thanks

Angela

I am not sure what US policies include but we have a section to cover rental car excess (up to $5000) and so do not take the excess waiver when we are O'S. But as the car rental firms point out - they will bill your CC and then it is your responsibility to get the money from the travel insurance company.

Hi we are back again - we want to know if there is a car rental company that picks you up at the dock in Auckland so we can drive to the glow worm caves and then catch our flight out at night. We will have all of our luggage so though we would do a private tour we don't know what to do with our suitcases. The ships tour gets back too late for us to make our flight - off by 20 minutes and they said no - so we are on our own. Thanks for the anticipated help.

We are looking at renting a car in Tauranga and it is on a Saturday. The only company that I can find is Pegasus. I am concerned about the insurance. You can't purchase any additional coverage if you are in an accident unless you rent for 4 days which means you are responsible for up to $2812 in damage. Has anyone rented from Pegasus and did you experience any problems? It could really put a damper on your vacation if someone hits you or something hits your windshield and you have to pay $2800. Any suggestions would be appreciated. We are a group of 6 travelling and want to go to Waiotapu Thermo Wonderland.

Thanks

:)

You can get travel insurance from csa travel protection which is as far as I know the only travel insurance to cover rental cars. That should help the excess reduction issue, but at a cost, of course.

You can get travel insurance from csa travel protection which is as far as I know the only travel insurance to cover rental cars. That should help the excess reduction issue, but at a cost, of course.

I ended up just booking with Avis in Tauranga to be safe as they have the reduced insurance for $20 and then I don't have to worry. Thanks everyone for your help!

Angela

Hi

I have just booked a car in Tauranga with Pegasus. Karen from Pegasus was very helpful and will meet us when we dock at 7.00am on 16/01/09 with our car.

I checked out my insurance which will cover the excess. I am from Australia and we just had to get premium cover which included lot more than basic cover anyway.

Colleen

• 2 months later...

I, too, will be arriving in Tauranga on a Saturday and was looking to book with Pegasus... does anybody know if it's a problem that we'll be returning the car in the late afternoon? It doesn't look like they're open then... Thanks.

Hi Kald

I have booked a vehicle with Pegasus for the cruise special price of $90, and that includes pick up at the wharf and then when I return the vehicle I leave the keys and vehicle with an assigned person at the wharf, so it doesnt matter what time it is back. They will tell you who to leave the vehicle with when you pick it up. I assume your deal will be the same set up.

Hi Kald

I have booked a vehicle with Pegasus for the cruise special price of $90, and that includes pick up at the wharf and then when I return the vehicle I leave the keys and vehicle with an assigned person at the wharf, so it doesnt matter what time it is back. They will tell you who to leave the vehicle with when you pick it up. I assume your deal will be the same set up.

The only reason that I booked with Hertz instead is that Pegasus doesn't offer the insurance waiver and I didn't want to take any chances.

Yep, just booked the $90 special with Pegasus. Isn't it nice to see a company that identifies a need and creates a product to address it specifically? If only someone would do that on Phillip Island... still trying to arrange transport there.

As for the insurance... I'm going to take the risk. I've been driving on the left for about 6 months now and it's not that big a deal. The biggest problem most North Americans will have is turning on their wipers instead of their turn signals...

As for the insurance... I'm going to take the risk. I've been driving on the left for about 6 months now and it's not that big a deal. The biggest problem most North Americans will have is turning on their wipers instead of their turn signals...

The biggest problem for Nth Americans will be Roundabouts. No matter what, the natural instinct for them will be to look left at a roundabout, whereas in Aust the oncoming traffic will be from the right.:eek:

In light of what others have said, I see no point in "taking the risk"....Not just the risk in dollar terms (which can be enormous) but also the inconvenience etc. Remember, the car rental Coy will have your Credit Card details and will have no hesitation in charging costs of repairs.

cheers

I have booked my rental through Pegasus ($90 cruise deal) and recieved the confirmation from Karen. It says:

INSURANCE DETAILS:

An insurance excess of $2812. incl gst applies for multi-vehicle accidents and $2812. incl gst for a single vehicle accident which can be reduced by paying an extra daily fee of $15.00. Windscreen cover is available at $5 per day (min 4 day hire), but is included in 1 of our insurance options. We do not charge for extra drivers, but all licences must be sighted at the time of hire.

So the excess reduction is either available or they need to update their documentation.

We used them at the beginning of the year and found them to be very friendly and easy to deal with.

I have booked my rental through Pegasus ($90 cruise deal) and recieved the confirmation from Karen. It says:

So the excess reduction is either available or they need to update their documentation.

We used them at the beginning of the year and found them to be very friendly and easy to deal with.

I confirmed with them, the excess is only available on rentals of more than 4 days. For daily rentals they don't have any excess reduction policies available.

Angela

Archived