Gate 1-Symphony-Nov. 29-Xmas market

steviem1

Have never been on a river crusie. Has anyone traveled with Gate 1 on this ship. Itinerary is from Budapest to Prague. Will it be too cold to be up on deck watching the sights? Has anyone taken this particular cruise? Ready to book--but still concerned about making the decision.

Stevie

We did one of the Christmas Market trips with Grand Circle and had a wonderful time. Yes, it was cold with occasional rain for part of the trip, but we did take appropriate clothing and didn't let the weather stop us from enjoying the trip.

You might check the dates for when the Christmas Markets will be open. A brochure from Vantage says the markets are generally open December 2 to December 23. So do check to see if you might miss out on a couple of markets early in your trip.

• 3 weeks later...

With Gate 1 on the Symphony in March, we rarely used the sun deck because it was indeed chilly, but we simply didn't have good luck with the weather - including rain and SNOW.

I just wrote the following in response to a different post:

I went on MS Symphony, sister ship to the Royal, in March with GATE 1. We had snow by Nuremburg!! Went from Nuremburg to Amsterdam. We knew it was going to be early in the season, but it was great because the ship was not full, and the sites definitly were not as crowded as in the summer. Don't know what October would be like, but I would definitly go shoulder season.

No compliants with Gate 1 or the ship. I am on the young side (egads - 40), but was traveling with my parents - 69yrs. It was a little too "relaxing" for me, but it was just right for my folks. We all had a good time. There were various ages on the boat, most were definitly over 50, but there were plenty of folks in their 50's and 60's as well as 70's and up.

Dinner was not formal; most of us just changed clothes from what we wore during the day. It varied. Some people were more dressy, but most were kinda like "business casual." Food was great (I LOVED the soups), and they really did give you all the free wine you wanted with dinner (red, white, or blush).

I did not join in any evening activities after dinner, so can't comment on that.

I would have liked more time at each destination visited, but you can't see everything when you have to move along the river. All in all it was a great way to travel with my folks, and I may do another one going downstream from Nuremburg.

Last year we took the Thanksgiving trip with Gate 1, sailing on the MS Bolero. . It went 2 days earlier than yours. We never went on top, but we did spend a good amount of time in the lounge when we were cruising between cities. The weather was not bad; dress warmly. Was a VERY nice trip.

Archived