Ketchikan

scooton

What interests you?? My husband and Uncle have chartered a fishing trip with Magnum Charter..My Aunt and myself are going to do the Chefs table..There is a zip line you could do...Shopping, Duck Tour, Lumberjack Show, Deadliest Catch Crab Boat....Lots of stuff to do!

We also used SE Sea Kayaks several weeks ago. We enjoyed the trip; their equipment is in good condition, our guides knew a lot of the local history and marine biology, and they are very safety conscious.

We did the lumberjack show - mainly because of time constraints in port. We were surprised that we really enjoyed it, although very 'hokey'. I got a chip of wood signed by the lumberjacks & it's a great souvenir! I really liked the port with the buildings on the side of the mountain.

We did the Bear Creek Zipline...not as "hard" as the other one offered. My 6 yo DD was too scared though, so my DH went down with her and did the walking tour. My 8yo DS loved it, but got scared after 3 ziplines, so he went with the guide. Patrick, the guide, was AWESOME!! I would go ziplining again in a heartbeat!

Some others in our group did the Totem poles, and were disappointed.

My SIL and cousin went kayaking and had a great time! Saw a lot of whales!

If you don't want to spend a lot of money, Ketchikan is a great place to just wander. We always make our way back to Creek Street and along Married Man's Trail (the creek runs through there and there is a fish ladder at the end which is great to watch if the salmon are running) then work our way up to the Totem Heritage Center and then cross the little bridge and walk through the City Park. Or, have a cab take you to City Park and work your way back since this way you are going downhill.

We also used SE Sea Kayaks several weeks ago. We enjoyed the trip; their equipment is in good condition, our guides knew a lot of the local history and marine biology, and they are very safety conscious.

What type of clothing did you wear? Does the kayak seat 2 people?

I am considering doing this next year.

Thanks,

Kay

Does anyone have recommendations for shore excursions for Ketchikan?

We're doing whale watching in Juneau and dog sledding in Skagway. Not sure what to do in Ketchikan though.

Apart from the usual tours etc,you may want to take a walk up Creek St to the Funicular -which takes you up to a hotel overlooking Ketchikan Town and Harbor.

Have always found it interesting and especially on a fine day in Ketchikan[that means little or no rain!!!] a great vantage point to take photos of your ship etc.

Then you can stroll down past the Salmon run [still amazes me to see salmon climbing 'ladders' back to their spawning grounds]

Just another addition to your list...

Lu

What type of clothing did you wear? Does the kayak seat 2 people?...

They use 2-person kayaks for the guests; if there is an odd number of people in the group, I believe one of the guides will go with a guest in a 2-person kayak. You can wear whatever you like - I'd suggest jeans, layers on top, and sneakers. They provide a waterproof outer layer and kayak skirt, so you don't need to wear anything special. They suggest that you NOT wear hiking boots because it can be hard to fit them into the footwells in the kayaks. I'm not an experienced kayaker, though I'm reasonably fit and good with boats in general. I felt completely comfortable after the orientation they gave, and had an absolute blast on the trip. Do it!

I did the float plane over Misty Fjords which was beautiful even though the skies were overcast. We landed on a lake and had a chance to get out of the plane and hear the quietness of the place. It was worth the price.

My wife and I did the four wheel jeep adventure/canoe trip last year. It was a blast and I would do it again. They severed calm chowder/ cowboy coffee and smoked salmon YUM :) Later our tour operator did a walk explaining the rainforest. Raincoats were provided thankgoodness

We are beginning to plan a cruise with our inlaws for their 50th ann next year. HE FREEZES all the time, she's the opposite! So caribbean wouldn't be good for her. Also, she can't do alot of walking, so we thought Alaska would be a good cruise as there is alot of beauty all around from what I've heard. If we go, what excursions would be good for them?

We just returned from our cruise. We spent the day Ketchikan just walking around. We took a taxi up to the hatchery and then also walked to the totem pole museum. We walked back to town then down creek street and we also did married man's trail. It was a great day.

We are beginning to plan a cruise with our inlaws for their 50th ann next year. HE FREEZES all the time, she's the opposite! So caribbean wouldn't be good for her. Also, she can't do alot of walking, so we thought Alaska would be a good cruise as there is alot of beauty all around from what I've heard. If we go, what excursions would be good for them?

I have not taken this tours, but I have heard good things about the Ketchikan Duck Tours and there is also a horsedrawn trolly tour. Those might be good for someone with limitations on walking.

We did the Bear Creek Zipline...not as "hard" as the other one offered. My 6 yo DD was too scared though, so my DH went down with her and did the walking tour. My 8yo DS loved it, but got scared after 3 ziplines, so he went with the guide. Patrick, the guide, was AWESOME!! I would go ziplining again in a heartbeat!

Some others in our group did the Totem poles, and were disappointed.

My SIL and cousin went kayaking and had a great time! Saw a lot of whales!

My husband and I did the "hard" zip...Rainforest Canopy with Alaskan Canopy. It was such a blast. Seven lines and three suspension bridges. The scariest part was waiting on those tiny platforms with the other zippers way up in the trees...I swear they were swaying.

We did the SE Kayaking the last time we were in Ketchikan and it was wonderful. Two enthusiastic thumbs up for either of these excursions; if you're looking for a little lead in your tank. ;)

Archived