Price of an updo?

Hi Girls :D

Hope this is the right place to post this, and i'm sure it has been asked before but i cant find it now i need it :( ,

Does anyone have any idea how much it costs to have an 'updo' on the Explorer of the seas?

Cheers

Mo

Depends on length of hair and detail of updo, but you're looking at anywhere from $35-45.00. I believe the advertised price is $45.00 but the stylist only charged me $35.00. I gave her the extra $$ in tips.

Depends on length of hair and detail of updo, but you're looking at anywhere from $35-45.00. I believe the advertised price is $45.00 but the stylist only charged me $35.00. I gave her the extra $$ in tips.

Did they do a good job? I've only had an updo once (I can't for the life of me do one myself) and it was very pretty and I'd like to try it again. What I don't want is for it to look really severe and tight... like an old schoolmarm bun. Does anyone have a good site to go look at some updo pictures so I can get some ideas of what I do want? I've checked but all I seem to find are bridal updos which are a bit more... complicated than I need. My hair reaches to about the middle of my back, if that helps.

Thanks so much!!!!

I'm not picky regarding my hair but.. I have used many a stylist while onboard and ever had any luck. From their inability to properly wash it, or style it. I found them all over priced and under qualified. Quite simply, a mess each and every time. 3x I rewashed and did myself.

Save your money, wear it another way or get a friend or SO to do it.

I found the most amazing hair clip by Ficarre (I think that is how you spell it) I have extremely thick long hair and this one clip holds it all up in a fun french twist. Anything that sticks out I just take a curling iron to and style. It sure does save me a lot of money not to mention time.

Did they do a good job? I've only had an updo once (I can't for the life of me do one myself) and it was very pretty and I'd like to try it again. What I don't want is for it to look really severe and tight... like an old schoolmarm bun. Does anyone have a good site to go look at some updo pictures so I can get some ideas of what I do want? I've checked but all I seem to find are bridal updos which are a bit more... complicated than I need. My hair reaches to about the middle of my back, if that helps.

Thanks so much!!!!

I have always been happy with the results. My neice (21) also had hers done on our last cruise and they did an excellent job. So you don't have to worry about looking like an old school marm.

My hair is probably about 3-4 inches shorter than yours. Sorry I don't have any pictures. But fellow cruisers have always commented on my hair on formal night.

Your stylist will ask you a few questions, such as the type of dress you're wearing, etc., before they get started to get a feel for what kind of updo you're looking for.

I found the most amazing hair clip by Ficarre (I think that is how you spell it) I have extremely thick long hair and this one clip holds it all up in a fun french twist. Anything that sticks out I just take a curling iron to and style. It sure does save me a lot of money not to mention time.

http://www.stone-bridge.co.uk/ficcare-clips-34-c.asp

Sue is this the sort of thing you mean? I cant really see from the pics just how this would work...... may get one anyway and give it a go :D

'Cheers'

Mo

I'm not picky regarding my hair but.. I have used many a stylist while onboard and ever had any luck. From their inability to properly wash it, or style it. I found them all over priced and under qualified. Quite simply, a mess each and every time. 3x I rewashed and did myself.

Save your money, wear it another way or get a friend or SO to do it.

I wish I could do my own. But having a spinal cord injury did a bit of a number on my fine finger dexterity. I have lower shoulder length, now, fine hair. OTOH, I have had terrible luck with the "wash and set" on X. I first have to have my poor DH move me around from chair to chair. Then after asking for just a few large rollers on top for some lift they swirl you away from the mirrors... Next thing I know I leave, heavily hair sprayed, and looking like Laura Petry in the Dick Van Dyke Show. I may just try the ceramic brush and bring my own blow dryer. My stylist here has dealt with people with disabilities before and taught me a few tricks I can do. Yea, rather spend it on souveniers.

Liverpoollou -

What you need, Mo, is a "Classy Klypz". They're on sail in stores in London for around £10, so I'm sure you'll get one in Liverpool. It's hard to describe, but sort of consists of two interlocking combs, over which are stretched elasticated beads and diamantes. You can wind your hair up into a pleat, then put the Kliptz over it, or leave some down. It's really secure for the evening and comes in a selection of designs and colours.

Hope this helps

Trudi

Subcruiser : Where did you get the Ficarre clip, in a store or online, I would really like to get one for my daughter. She also has thick long hair, last time we checked to see how much it would cost to get her hair done in an updo they said $75 , and it would involve tying knots in the hair to make it shorter and easier to manage, OK so no.... , they are not tying knots in her hair!!!

We just did it ourselves and it turned out pretty good , and so if we could find a clip that would even make it easier. YIPEE....

Thanks for any information.

Cori

I wish I could do my own. But having a spinal cord injury did a bit of a number on my fine finger dexterity. I have lower shoulder length, now, fine hair. OTOH, I have had terrible luck with the "wash and set" on X. I first have to have my poor DH move me around from chair to chair. Then after asking for just a few large rollers on top for some lift they swirl you away from the mirrors... Next thing I know I leave, heavily hair sprayed, and looking like Laura Petry in the Dick Van Dyke Show. I may just try the ceramic brush and bring my own blow dryer. My stylist here has dealt with people with disabilities before and taught me a few tricks I can do. Yea, rather spend it on souveniers.

Your disabilty has nothing to do with NOT being able to do your hair!!:D

I'm not disabled but when it comes to "hair".... I'm all hands and useless shoulders:D !!!! The terrible time you had on X must have been Mercury!!! The worst dame on the planet, she was from the UK.....Don't get me started on the facial I had on the Princess Grand!! And wouldn't you know, I was her very last customer, she was packing it in and leaving the next morning and going back home to never work on another ship!! hee hee

Archived