Have Only Sailed Eastern-Need Advice On The Western

GTO-Girl

We are going to take our 5th cruise this February on the Glory Western route. I admit we are "creatures of habit" so previously all of our cruises have been Eastern, except one that was Southern.

We will be going to Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya and Nassau. I know absolutely nothing about any of these ports (except Nassau) so I have been on the Ports of Call boards researching each location. I wanted to know if you guys have an opinion on what's your favorite thing at these ports?

We are both mid 50's and to be honest we mostly like to shop a little and go to the beach. I have back issues so we are not able to do anything that would be too hard.

Any suggestions and opinions would be most welcomed.

Dianne

Cozumel you can catch a cab at the end of the dock and head to Paradise Beach. Nice beach, good food, clean restrooms, and you won't spend more than $15 total on the cab. You could head back into town and have the cab drop you downtown. Lots of shopping to choose from. You can ask on the Cozumel boards about anything specific you may be looking for.

2828846910064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

Belize: we always do a private tour that involves being in the water. I have also done a boat tour up the Belize River that was beautiful.

Costa Maya: our favorite port ever, but we have not been back since hurricane Dean. We always took a bus into Majahual and spent the day on the beach.

2346576190064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

In Belize, we did the Mayan ruins. It wasn't difficult. We just took a bus to the ruins, walked around the site (can climb it if you want to), had lunch and took the bus back to the port. I think there are also beach excursions available too but I'd definitely do some kind of excursion there unless you plan to stay in the port area.

Cozumel is a good place to shop. You can walk downtown from the piers or take a taxi and shop. There is a museum downtown too. There are all the restuarants of course and the bars like C&C, Senor Frogs, Margaritaville etc... Or you can take a taxi to Chankanaab or any of the beaches.

I haven't been to Costa Maya but before the hurricane, my mom did go there and just went to the beach in the port area there. I've seen her pictures, but I don't have any idea what it's like now.

We are going to take our 5th cruise this February on the Glory Western route. I admit we are "creatures of habit" so previously all of our cruises have been Eastern, except one that was Southern.

We will be going to Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya and Nassau. I know absolutely nothing about any of these ports (except Nassau) so I have been on the Ports of Call boards researching each location. I wanted to know if you guys have an opinion on what's your favorite thing at these ports?

We are both mid 50's and to be honest we mostly like to shop a little and go to the beach. I have back issues so we are not able to do anything that would be too hard.

Dianne

We are also in our 50's.

Costa Maya: Had a blast right off the ship in the "tourist area". Will be interested to see how it has changed since Dean blew it away. HUGE saltwater pool with swim up bars. Lots of good food and reasonable prices (for a tourist trap). We have been there twice.

Cozumel: Mr. Sanchos. Take a taxi. Nice beach, not too crowded. Food and drink prices reasonable. Downtown has some pretty neat shops. Prices get lower if you venture farther out, but brush up on your Spanish. My wife actually got "tired of shopping". Amazing..........

Belize: We did some shopping in the "tourist" area, then two of us ventured outside the guarded, gated area. More shops, but pretty spooky! Especially the weird looking guy chopping coconuts in the air with a machete:eek: . Went back inside after a couple of blocks. We also checked out the water-side bars, samplig the local brews. Cashew wine is just plain gross!. Did find the Lighthouse beer pretty good. Actually, too good. I ended up dancing on the bar with the tequila girl. Since there were several from our ship there as well, I had comments all week:o . Did I mention I am over 50?? what happens in Belize, stays in Belize (?)

Enjoy your cruise!

We did Bannister Island in Belize great place to lay on the beach all day. We really enjoyed it. It is something that we booked through the ship and were tendered directly to the private island never stepped foot on the mainland. Hope you have a great time.

In Belize, we did the Mayan ruins. It wasn't difficult. We just took a bus to the ruins, walked around the site (can climb it if you want to), had lunch and took the bus back to the port. I think there are also beach excursions available too but I'd definitely do some kind of excursion there unless you plan to stay in the port area.

What did you do for lunch? Was this with the cruise tour or an independent?

We've been to Cozumel four or five times and have always done the same thing: rent a car at the dock (usually a convertible) and drive to the east (Gulf) side of the island. Stop for beers/sodas at the cantina where the road first meets the ocean, watching the surf blow through the blowholes in the reef, then drive along the ocean up to Playa Linda for a fish sandwich and a swim. This is a private beach, and the only one with a flat bottom on the ocean side, so you can actually swim in the waves. Then we drive back across the island to shop, etc., in town. Then return the rental car very contented.

There are virtually no buildings on the ocean side of the island (because of repeated hurricanes), so the drive along the ocean is especially beautiful.

We don't snorkel, so we prefer the eastern side of the island. Snorkelers, however, enjoy snorkeling in the protected waters of the western side of the island.

A rental car, with insurance, CDW, prepaid gas, etc., runs about $100 a day, which is still a lot less than buying an excursion from the ship.

We've been to Cozumel four or five times and have always done the same thing: rent a car at the dock (usually a convertible) and drive to the east (Gulf) side of the island. Stop for beers/sodas at the cantina where the road first meets the ocean, watching the surf blow through the blowholes in the reef, then drive along the ocean up to Playa Linda for a fish sandwich and a swim. This is a private beach, and the only one with a flat bottom on the ocean side, so you can actually swim in the waves. Then we drive back across the island to shop, etc., in town. Then return the rental car very contented.

There are virtually no buildings on the ocean side of the island (because of repeated hurricanes), so the drive along the ocean is especially beautiful.

We don't snorkel, so we prefer the eastern side of the island. Snorkelers, however, enjoy snorkeling in the protected waters of the western side of the island.

A rental car, with insurance, CDW, prepaid gas, etc., runs about $100 a day, which is still a lot less than buying an excursion from the ship.

What's CDW? We plan on doing this in November. Do you think we need to pre-book if we want a jeep? Of course, I'd take a convertible too. Even tho I drive one of those at home.

What did you do for lunch? Was this with the cruise tour or an independent?

It was with the tour. They stopped at a resort on the way back and we had chicken, rice and beans and I think coleslaw (don't remember for sure). They also gave us the best fruit juice I've ever had. I'd buy gallons of it if I could.

Dianne

Cozumel has many nice beaches and good shopping. And you have to stop by Carlos and Charlies even just to see the sillyness.

Belize has one of my favorite places to have a great lunch. It is called the Smokey Mermaid. You can google or yahoo it. They have great food. the best are the lobster dishes and seafood. They will serve off the dinner menu even at lunch/afternoon. It is a very nice courtyard at a colonial house/hotel. They even have a tree house area.....

Costa Maya is great for relaxing. Huge pool with swim up bar. Local native Mexican shows and shops. The restaurant under the big tiki hut building makes great shrimp tacos....

Nassau is Nassau....

There are many wonderful thing to do in Cozumel! If you like the beach, but don't want crowds I suggest you make reservations for Nachi Cocum. It's an all-inclusive resort. The beach is absolutely beautiful. They also have a swim-up bar at the pool. When I went it was $49 for adults.

Passion Island is also an all-inclusive beach. It's a little island in which you need to take a ferry or the Twister boat ride to get to. When we went it was $70, but that was with the Twister boat ride. It may be less if you go via taxi/ferry. I have more info (and pictures) on this excursion on my Legend review which is in my signature.

I recently went to Mr. Sancho's. This is a wonderful beach that also has a pool. It's not all-inclusive, but has reasonable prices. You don't pay to go to the beach. They just would like you to buy food and drink. I believe I spent $40 for 3 of us including tip on food and drinks. There's more info and pictures in my Imagination review also in my signature.

In Belize I have done cave-tubing through a private company. This was many years ago, so I don't remember the name of the company. They did an awesome job, and pointed out all kinds of interesting things on the way to the caves.

I've also gone snorkeling to Bannister Island. This was booked directly with Carnival. The reef in Belize is amazing. This was an awesome excursion.

Most recently we went horseback riding through the jungle. This was also a great excursion. I suggest if you do this you bring bug spray, because there are tons of mosquitoes in the rain forest. Belize is a beautiful country with much to do on land as well as in the water. I have pictures of the horseback riding tour in my review of the Legend. This excursion was booked with Carnival.

Unfortunately, I have never been to Costa Maya. (I was scheduled to go, but the ship couldn't dock due to rough waters.) I have heard it is a beautiful port. I would probably go to Majahual if I were to go.

Archived