Miami question

We are flying into MIA before boarding the NCL Sky and have planned to order a bar set up (vodka) in our room. I'm concerned about obtaining mixers though. We'll be in a taxi, so I want to keep my shopping trip short and sweet. Are there any quick in and out groceries or convenience stores right on the route from the airport to the dock? We'll just want things like OJ, Bloody Mary Mix and Sprite, probably.

Thanks!

ee

We're flying into MIA, then taking a taxi to the NCL dock. We'd like to pick up some mixers to go with the bottle of vodka we're going to purchase as a bar set up for our room. Are there any quick in and out groceries or convenience stores directly on the route between the airport and dock? We'll just need things like OJ, Bloody Mary Mix, Sprite, etc...

Also, I've been told that there is a set fee for the trip to the dock, but if we're making a quick stop, how much extra should we give the cabbie or will he tell us, or will he just say that we can't stop?

Thanks!

ee

The cabbie is probably the one to ask about a place to stop.

Click Here for a link to a fare calculator. It shows a flat rate of $21 from airport to seaport.

If you stop along the way it may be metered which could change the fare to $40+ if I'm using the calculator correctly.

Charlie

From MIA, you get right on the freeway. You get off downtown and wind through some of the surface streets just a bit. I don't recall the exact route the cabbies take, but your best bet would be a CVS or Walgreen on a corner.

As for a cab making a stop on a fixed fare, I would not be surprised if you hear a big fat NO. On the fixed fare, they want to keep moving back and forth all day. Flat rate fare is $24. If you insist on a stop, your rate may go from fixed to metered instead. Who knows. It will also depend on the driver and his mood and how busy things are at the time of your arrival.

Do reply back and let us know what your experience was. :)

Thanks, Angela

That's kinda what I was afraid of. I guess I'll just have to be crafty with getting extra juices in the morning each day. The last thing I need at the beginning of my vacation is a cabbie throwing attitude at me. (And I do understand, they have to keep moving to make their day's fares...I would however make it worth their time, but convincing them of that is not always easy.)

ee

Thanks, Angela

That's kinda what I was afraid of. I guess I'll just have to be crafty with getting extra juices in the morning each day. The last thing I need at the beginning of my vacation is a cabbie throwing attitude at me. (And I do understand, they have to keep moving to make their day's fares...I would however make it worth their time, but convincing them of that is not always easy.)

ee

Show him "worth his time" incentive upfront. He won't want to wait for you at a downtown store..too much trouble finding a spot to sit. Best bet getting off an exit early, I'd think.

Too remember you can get all the mixes on board. Some complimentary.

You know, there is a Winn Dixie grocery store at the corner of NW 37th Avenue and NW 7th Street right by the airport. If your driver continues south on 37th Avenue (which he will take when leaving the airport and heading for the freeway that will take you downtown to the port), just a couple of blocks south of the freeway is a Winn Dixie at NW 7th Avenue/NW 37th Avenue. You can then turn around and go back two blocks to the freeway and be on your way, if your driver will do that.

A CVS or Walgreens will be faster, in and out, though. And I'm sure there is one on every corner in that area too. The next exit is 27th Avenue where I'm sure you can find a chain drug store.

He won't want to get off at 22nd Avenue since you can't get back on the freeway there. 27th Avenue will be your last opportunity to exit before finding yourself downtown where parking becomes an issue.

Not sure whether all that helps or totally confuses you. :confused:

That is exactly the sort of info I was looking for. I'm going to print that off and take it with us. (Now I just have to hope that our cabbie speaks English well enough for us to get our point across with the excellent directions you gave!)

I also like a previous poster's point about "upfront incentive"!

As long as our flight gets in when it's supposed to (fingers crossed and double crossed), we should have time for a quick stocking up on our way to the dock.

Thank you all so very much!!

ee

Archived