When Life Hands You Lemons - Make Limoncello

Sandytoes

After reading this thread and not having ever tried Limoncello before, I went and bought some, popped it in the freezer and waited for it to get very cold. I poured me a bit, tried it and unfortunately hated it. I'm apparently not tough enough for Limoncello!

I have an almost full bottle of highly recommended Limoncello chilled in the freezer if anyone that likes it shows up.

So is it half full or half empty? ;)

~

It could be the brand you bought.

I bought one cheap and not so cheap. :rolleyes:

We prefer the not so cheap. :p

The $10 bottle (bought in St Thomas) tasted like straight alcohol. No lemon flavor.

The $25, goes down real smooth...:p..:D

We were on the TP last summer and on Italian night they offered the Lemoncello.. we bought shots for whomever wanted them at our table of 8.... I think 6 of us went for it....

Our waiter filled our glasses at least 3 times each.... I seem to recall the waves being huge and impairing my walking out of the dining room that night ;).

We only paid for the first round, the rest were free - pretty much until the bottle was empty.

Here's the recipe as I got it from Princess. But I found this way to strong so have adjusted the recipe as shown below. You can adjust it to your desired sweetness level.

Ingredients

1 liter grain alcohol

16 lemons

300 gram sugar

1 liter water

Directions

Peel the lemons making sure that there is no white part. Place the lemon peel inside of thebottle containing the grain alcohol and let it marinate for at least ten days. After ten days separate the alcohol from the peel (throw away the lemons peels). In a skillet pour the water and sugar at the same time and bring it to the boiling point, make sure that the sugar is melted completely. Slowly add the lemon flavored alcohol. Let is simmer for a few minutes. Take it off the flame, cool and place in the refrigerator. To be served very cold.

Adjusted recipe:

2 750 ml bottles of Everclear

24 lemons

7 cups sugar

11 cups water

Steps are the same.

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe...our first batch is complete, and the flavor and aroma are both amazing!

Our waiter filled our glasses at least 3 times each.... I seem to recall the waves being huge and impairing my walking out of the dining room that night :D:D:D.

We only paid for the first round, the rest were free - pretty much until the bottle was empty.

:D

Boy, were you lucky to get such good service

I was only refilled once....:(

• 4 weeks later...
We bought the cream lemoncello in Sorrento once and didn't drink it for a couple years and it went bad. The cream part of it separated from the rest. So if you buy it drink it soon. I was waiting for a special time to have it. Boy was I bummed.

Lemoncello needs to be kept in the Freezer. :D

On our Alaska cruise on the Star Limoncello was available at dinner as well as at Italian night, but only in the dining room, we tried at one of the bars and they didn't have it. We do have a lovely collection of those cute, colorful little glasses that you can take home:)

Cook your favorite pasta. (I use angel hair)

Saute fresh shrimp in butter and a little garlic.

When shrimp are done (4 min), add 1 cup Limoncello (more or less to taste and the number of people)

Mix and toss into the pasta.

With a salad, white wine, and garlic bread, you have a Limoncello Pasta meal fit for a queen.

I got this "recipe" from Generoso, my favorite maitre d'.

Thanks for the recipe. I tried it and my son, the chef, raved about it. It was delicious and a real winner!

Anyone else have any other recipes?

Thanks again,

Arlene

After reading this thread and not having ever tried Limoncello before, I went and bought some, popped it in the freezer and waited for it to get very cold. I poured me a bit, tried it and unfortunately hated it. :eek: I'm apparently not tough enough for Limoncello! :confused: I have an almost full bottle of highly recommended Limoncello chilled in the freezer if anyone that likes it shows up. :)

I didn't care for it the first time I tried it, but evidently it's something that grows on you. I've liked it ever since. You might give it a few more tries. If you still don't like it you can send it to me!!

I heard that at the chef's table they finish off dessert with a shot of Limoncello, and hopefully I can try it there. I'm not a drinker for the sulfites make me have migraine headaches, but I think I'm just going to plan on taking my medicine with me and going for it. It sounds like it will be worth it, besides I don't get a headache until the next day anyways.

On our Alaska cruise on the Star Limoncello was available at dinner as well as at Italian night, but only in the dining room, we tried at one of the bars and they didn't have it. We do have a lovely collection of those cute, colorful little glasses that you can take home:)

I heard that at the chef's table they finish off dessert with a shot of Limoncello, and hopefully I can try it there. I'm not a drinker for the sulfites make me have migraine headaches, but I think I'm just going to plan on taking my medicine with me and going for it. It sounds like it will be worth it, besides I don't get a headache until the next day anyways.

I also get migraines.

You don't have to worry, it's a lemon alcoholic drink ( not a wine)

Princess makes their own Limoncello

and no sulfites are added.

Enjoy!

Archived