Bilbao

sej67

Has anyone taken public transportation from the cruiseship to downtown Bilbao? Celebrity's site says their 5 hour tour includes 45 min. one way to the Guggenheim. Since we're in port 11 hours, I think I can make better use of my time if going on my own.

Has anyone taken public transportation from the cruiseship to downtown Bilbao? Celebrity's site says their 5 hour tour includes 45 min. one way to the Guggenheim. Since we're in port 11 hours, I think I can make better use of my time if going on my own.

Check your docking position & whether a shuttle will be provided. If so, you're in business for doing things independently. In May/08 the Prinsendam docked in the Port of Getxo (15km from Bilbao) and a free shuttle was provided downtown to Plaza Moyua, about a 25-min drive. From there, it's an easy walk to the Guggenheim (closed Mondays). Behind the Museum is a lovely promenade along the Bilbao River that leads directly to Old Town. Here you can discover the treasures of Cathedral of Santiago, Iglesia San Nicholas, Gothic Church of San Anton & Arrianga Theatre. Not to mention tons of tapas bars offering unique Basque cuisine.

We were on the Millenium in May 07 and Celebrity provided a shuttle from Getxo, where the ship docked, to the downtown area. We did the exact same "tour" that MightyQuinn did. It was an easy walk to the Guggenheim and along the river to Old Town. There was a tram that also ran along the walkway behind the Museum that you could take toward the Old Town area if you didn't want to walk.

We weren't sure what to expect in Bilbao but we really enjoyed our visit there. Unfortunately, I don't have the web sites anymore but I was able to find some good information and maps online. If I remember correctly, the city also ran a tour bus you could take to see some of the outlying sites.

Archived