Captains dinner night

Quite a high proportion of the men wear DJ's - but this has varied from about 40-50% and 70-80% on the cruises we've done (perhaps fewer formally dressed on Med cruises). But suits are equally acceptable and you wouldn't be refused entry in jacket and tie - perhaps even just shirt and tie - but you may feel in a significant minority - if you're comfortable with that though, then that's ok too.

Ladies generally have quite smart trousers/glittery tops or summer dresses/cocktail dresses and evening dresses for the formal night. There's quite a mix but people do tend to make an effort and it is rather nice having an excuse to get the glad rags on! Although it's classed as a 'formal' night (on the basis that people get a bit more dressed up) the atmosphere is actually very relaxed and friendly - and informal if that isn't a contradiction! The dining room and fabulous waiters on Celebration make everyone feel at home and make dining an occasion. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

P.S. I remember on another thread ages ago the discussion of formal wear was raised and someone said *&* (a very well known UK high street store - don't know whether I'm allowed to mention it by name) were doing a budget range of DJ's at £50. I was very sceptical but went in to look and sure enough. Not bad - and not too great an investment for all the cruises you'll be doing in the future!!!!!!

Just me, my mum and sister are going, may have to have a good shopping trip, a smart top and trousers sounds better for me, don't wear dresses much, and hate high heeled shoes, more into feeling comfortable

Oops! Sooooooooo sorry - just jumped to the conclusion that you were asking about men's formal wear. Wota mistaka to maka!!:D

Of course I should have remembered from previous posts about you going with your mum and sister. Honestly, for ladies just about anything goes - even T-shirts have sequins these days so you can looked 'glitzed' up very easily. Just go and enjoy yourself and why not have an excuse for a good spending spree?

I hope this isnt a silly question but would you take children (9 and 5) to the captains dinner or to the waiter service restaurant or do you think we will be better off sticking to the informal buffet ? First cruise booked on the celebration in February and excited but nervous too !

Not a silly question at all - and welcome to the board. :)

But I'm not sure quite how to advise. :confused: I can't say I've seen younger children at the Captain's Dinner - but that's not to say it's inappropriate. Usually the cruises we go on don't have many children on board i.e. not school holidays. Is your five year old happy to sit and wait for several courses to be served - if so, why not enjoy the dinner as a family? Give it a try one night early in your cruise and then make a decision about the Gala night. I'm sure the waiters will make a big fuss of the children. Perhaps the children's club offer alternatives for younger passengers too. I'm sure someone other posters will have experience of this and be able to tell you more.

But enjoy your first cruise - lots of help here if you're unsure of how things work - just post up your questions. :)

Archived