Boston Freedom Trail

judbusluc

We are going on the CB on the first Canada New England cruise in a couple weeks. We are interested in Freedom Trail in Boston. We are trying to decide if we should take the ships tour or do it on our own. Where does the ship dock in Boston? How easy is it to get to the Freedom Trail? Is there a shuttle? How easy is it to navigate on your own? Thanks in advance?

We are going on the CB on the first Canada New England cruise in a couple weeks. We are interested in Freedom Trail in Boston. We are trying to decide if we should take the ships tour or do it on our own. Where does the ship dock in Boston? How easy is it to get to the Freedom Trail? Is there a shuttle? How easy is it to navigate on your own? Thanks in advance?

You might get more answers if you go to the ports of Call board and scroll down to New England forum. There is a wealth of info for Boston on that site.

Marilyn

The ship docks in Boston at the Black Falcon cruise ship terminal which is about two miles southeast of the downtown area. There are several trolley systems that run continous tours of the freedom trail as well as other attractions. These are very informative and entertaining. The freedom trail can be walked but it is quite a bit of walking for a one day stop. Google the Boston trolleys for more info.

You'll save a lot of money if you do it on your own. It will also will give you the flexability of staying longer at one place and/or skipping other places. Be sure to eat lunch around Faniuel Hall. Many wonderful food carts.

I have done it many times, even with 200 eighth graders in tow. Unless you have little stamina it is totally doable on your own. There is an information booth on Boston Commons where you can get information while there. Be sure to get some New England Clam Chowda!!!! Faneuill hall or the Union Oyster House are good places for that....You certainly don't have to walk all the way to Bunker Hill. We took the busses at the pier to begin our walk. It was a very inexpensive way to walk (but I had already done it many times before, so if you prefer, just take a tour, but I would not do a ship's tour as there are so many options much less expensive. The Boston Duck tours are also fun.....

We did that walk in 2003 and if/when I go back to Boston I will do it again, swollen feet and all. I wasn't on a ship, but I can't for the life of me see why you would want to do it with a tour group. It's almost a personal kind of experience.

Enjoy!

Tee

I absolutely agree to do it on your own ---- there are so many shops, restuarants and sights along the trail, you'll have a chance to linger where you want and skim by what you don't want to see. It's not essential to walk the whole thing, either---- too many people rush through it and don't get a chance to really savor the experience. Most of the best sites like Fanueil Hall and the Old North Church and Paul Revere's House are fairly close together, and the latter two are both in the North End, Boston's old Italian neighborhood with fantastic Italian restaurants and pastry shops. Around Fanueil Hall, you'll find plenty of places to stop for chowder or a lobster roll if you enjoy that. When you travel with a group, you're at the mercy of the schedule. I would use that podcast or buy a good guide book and just let the day unfold. You won't be too far from the ship, you can just walk until you're ready to go back and then hail a cab.

I was in Boston last month. I'd recom. doing the Freedom Trail on your own, and start at the Old State House. From there, if you desire, you can take a walking tour w/ a National Park Ranger. Or just continue on your own - there are several sights very close to the Old State House. Then walk over to Quincy Market for lunch. After lunch, go to the Revere House, Old North Church, and if time remains, the ship. If you go inside the buildings / ship, depending on how much time you have in port, it would be difficult to complete the entire trail. If you just follow the trail w/o going inside, then it is easily completed in a short time.

We did that walk in 2003 and if/when I go back to Boston I will do it again, swollen feet and all. I wasn't on a ship, but I can't for the life of me see why you would want to do it with a tour group. It's almost a personal kind of experience.

Enjoy!

Tee

we did it several years ago when we went to Boston for Memorial Day weekend. I can't imagine walking the trail with a tour group, either. I agree that it is almost a personal kind of experience.

Archived