Splendour of the Seas - 9/17/04 - Mediterranean

We were on Splendour 9/17/04 and I have half written a review - did it onboard while lying in that lovely hot sun under cloudless blue skies. I did mean to complete it once we got home, but the best laid plans............:rolleyes:

I will get round to typing (with one finger:) ) and posting it asap, but in the meantime, any questions.....ask away!

Thanks for all of your help - I read that 'most' meals are included with the cruise - do you have to pay for some? - what are the charges for alcohol and are there packages for that... what were the highlights and any activities you heard about/did that you would recommend?

Aug. 28th sailing for us! It was a great trip and actually exceeded my expectations (we've been on Celebrity, NCL, Cunard, HAL and Orient Lines)! We had a mini suite and my parents had an inside right across from us. All of us were happy with our cabins...I was a bit surprised that there weren't any "suite" amenities, but then we brought everything but the kitchen sink with us anyway! LOL!

The food was much better than we had heard it might be, so that was nice! I'd skip the wine tasting...Two "Woodbridge" wines and Korbel for the champagne was the pits! Drinks were around $6-7- unless you had the drink of the day which would be $4.75. We brought a lot of our own wine and paid a corkage each night and our liquor bill was still over $1,200 for the 7 nights!!! (that did include gratuities, but we gave eveyone an extra envelope because service couldn't have been better!).

Time just went by too quickly, for sure!!!! You'll have a great time!

[We had a mini suite and my parents had an inside right across from us. All of us were happy with our cabins...}

We have a balcony reserved for Feb when the Splendor comes to Tampa and I had been reading about the room are not decorated very nicely. How did you feel about the rooms? We have 3 rooms on the 10th floor with a tubs for our grandchildren.(thinking that would help their moms with bathing the children) I have read that the ship balconies need to be painted. I was wondering if you have any pictures that you will be posting? Did you have any dealing with the children's programs?

Thanks for any help!

LKITT, The rooms were not decorated badly at all! The beds were awfully hard and the sofa bed was really bad...our room steward brought a second matress to add to the other which helped. They really will try to fix any problem like that which you might encounter, so it's hard to complain! My parents liked their beds in their inside cabin...ours was way to hard for us so I'd bring the waffle mattress "thingy" again next time.

My computer crashed so my pictures are now on my son's computer until my new one arrives. I'll post them on webshots as soon as I can so you can see for yourself! :)

Our son did the teen club at night most nights and then the group would just wander. The younger kids are in the same room only before his group would meet. The kids group seemed to be having a good time but I guess during the day, most didn't show up...I talked to one of the leaders who told me with the port intensive itinerary, it was like that most of the days. I really believe that the kid's programs are made by the staff on board at the time, so it's really the luck of the draw!

My parents are ready to go back on the Splendour because they felt so at home...amazing to get that feeling on a ship that had over 2,000 passengers, isn't it?!!!

Cruisingoose,

My husband and I are also booked on the Splendour of the Seas 9/17/05 cruise. It is great to have something to look forward even if it's in 10 months.

Suekay,

Did you do any private shore tours or did you book them on the ship? What tours did you do?

Did you stay in Barcelona? If so, what hotel ? Would you recommend it?

I there! - this is cruisin's husband David here - we are probably going to be booking the cruise in a couple of weeks - nice to see someone on the board is going... will be staying in Europe another week after - going to Budapest and Oktoberfest in Saltzberg - are you guys staying over as well?

Look forward to finding out more about this cruise and hearing from you soon!!

Obviously you are Canadians right? LOL

Hi

Yup we're Canadian !

We have family in Belgium so we will be there the week before the cruise. We hope to go to Amsterdam for a day or two and visit friends in Luxembourg. The plan is to get to Barcelona the day before the cruise.

I cannot believe we are waitlisted for the 2nd seating and the cruise is still in 10 months. Wow these European cruises are popular!!

For the second year running, we stayed at the Hotel Continental on Las Ramblas. We had a balcony room so we could people watch after an exhausting day sightseeing. They are currently installing A/C in all the rooms, but with an overhead fan, we didn't need it in late September. I am repeating the same cruise next September, but this time with my Mum who is a very light sleeper, so we will get a room at the back of the hotel with no balcony (it can be VERY noisy at night with revellers on Las Ramblas) Hotel Continental is NOT a shiny glass, chrome and marble experience, but is a cheap, very "local" hotel in a perfect position. The decor can only be described as fussy (or Laura Ashley gone mad according to one guidebook)My husband admitted that his first thought was "OMG!!" - but he soon came round to liking the hotel in a fond sort of way, and was happy to stay again this year. The rooms are clean with plenty of hot water, tub/shower, fridge, microwave and safe. The beds are very high with comfortable all-foam mattresses. There is even a free continental breakfast of cereals, toast, pastries, hard boiled eggs, tomatoes and kiwifruit, with tea and coffee 24/7.

I think the late was 9:30 if I'm not mistaken! They actually broke it down into 4 seatings.... 6:30 and 7:00, 9:00 and 9:30....correct me if I'm wrong on this Splendour Alumni!!! :confused: This was only for the European sailings from what I have read!

You are correct on the seating times. I just returned home from the 10/23 cruise yesterday. If you have any specific questions on the Splendour Med cruise then feel free to PM me as I don't check this category too often.

Also check "Europe" under Ports of Call where there is a lot of good info. I ended up doing all the ports on our own from info found there and saved about $1000 vs. shore excursions w/RCCL

• 3 weeks later...

Just found out that we are no longer waitlisted for second seating. I'm glad since it will permit us to enjoy the early evening drink!!!

I'm really the early bird... I've already registered my husband and I for the Meet & Mingle for this cruise.

Anybody else booked for this cruise?

Archived