The Thomson Experience

Hello Everyone!

Iv herd alot of good things about Thomson Cruises, and after seeing there fares, I had to ask how they stack up!!! So what makes them good/bad etc. Also can someone please explain or link me to something about them getting the Summit/Galaxy RCI ship :confused:

Are the roumors true??!

Sorry for asking so much! :p

Hi,

What I like about Thomson cruises is that you get all the nice touches (gala dinner, midnight buffet, chocs on pillows etc.), superb service from friendly and welcoming staff, good attention to hygiene and housekeeping, good food and excellent entertainment. It's very relaxed but at the same time you can dress up a bit if you want to and not feel out of place. And most of all it's not pretentious. All this at a good price too. We've met lots of lovely people on Thomson and most share this view.

I picked up a review some weeks ago which I posted on another thread re entertainment but I think you will find it interesting reading as you are seeking to 'place' the Thomson brand.

http://www.cruiseserver.net/travelpa...elebration.asp

I think this professional reviewer has really summed Thomson up - it's not about new, glitzy ships (theirs have a faded kind of elegance - but very well maintained) but more about creating an atmosphere and level of service which has produced very loyal, repeat passengers.

Sorry, can't help with the rumours re recent acquisitions - but there is a thread on here (not too far down) which discusses this issue. It might be under the 'Dropping Emerald' thread.

If you have any more specific queries - just ask :)

Just checked the link and it doesn't seem to be working - I'll try again;

http://www.cruiseserver.net/travelpage/ships/th_celebration.asp

That seems to be ok.

Also checked the Emerald post - that is the one where there's some info on which new ships Thomson are rumoured to be acquiring.

Thanks alott!! :D

I just wanted to ask one question. I have two cruises in mind going to the same place and itenanary. One on Ocean Village will cost me 1700 pounds pp while the Thompson will cost me 1700 for the largest room available for all 4 people. Is the diffrence so much? Is there one?!

Again sorry for the barracade and thanks!! :p ;)

Is the 1700 on Thomson include 2 @ the 'quoted' price plus 2@ the reduced occupancy price in a 4-berth? I'm not familiar with the rooms for 4 on OV to compare - but there does seem to be a big difference in the prices and that would make me think that despite Thomson's competitive prices, there is something very different in what you'll be getting.:confused:

I do know that there are some 4 berth cabins on Celebration/Spirit which are really no more than 2-berths with drop down bunks over each bed so you have no more room in those than in a 2-berth cabin but there are 4 of you in it!!! i.e. somewhat cramped to say the least. Perhaps ok for 2 adults and 2 children - but you need to know exactly what you are getting in terms of floor space to decide on whether you are getting like for like in terms of cabin size (should tell you in the brochure). Perhaps it's a different type of cabin though and other posters will be able to give you more info types of cabins/suites which can accommodate 4 so you can judge. (But if it's a suite, I would have thought the price would be higher on Thomson than what you're quoting.)

As for the ships, there will be more facilities for younger people I would imagine on OV. There again, I think you will need to check carefully what facilities both ships offer and decide whether the differences are important to you. There are so many variables, it's really hard to pick your way through it all - but good luck anyway! :)

Is the 1700 on Thomson include 2 @ the 'quoted' price plus 2@ the reduced occupancy price in a 4-berth? I'm not familiar with the rooms for 4 on OV to compare - but there does seem to be a big difference in the prices and that would make me think that despite Thomson's competitive prices, there is something very different in what you'll be getting.:confused:

I do know that there are some 4 berth cabins on Celebration/Spirit which are really no more than 2-berths with drop down bunks over each bed so you have no more room in those than in a 2-berth cabin but there are 4 of you in it!!! i.e. somewhat cramped to say the least. Perhaps ok for 2 adults and 2 children - but you need to know exactly what you are getting in terms of floor space to decide on whether you are getting like for like in terms of cabin size (should tell you in the brochure). Perhaps it's a different type of cabin though and other posters will be able to give you more info types of cabins/suites which can accommodate 4 so you can judge. (But if it's a suite, I would have thought the price would be higher on Thomson than what you're quoting.)

As for the ships, there will be more facilities for younger people I would imagine on OV. There again, I think you will need to check carefully what facilities both ships offer and decide whether the differences are important to you. There are so many variables, it's really hard to pick your way through it all - but good luck anyway! :)

It says its about 210sq feet. Anyway I probably will have to cruise with a budget line, im spending all I got on my trip to antarctica and will have to save up for a while for australia new zealand and south pacific in 2010. Problem is im only 14 and so when I book a cruise it has to be in the summer or December holidays... when prices are sky high. But anyway thank you very much for all the info... I'll see if I need anything else :p

Oh also by the way... since im not from the UK do they allow non UK passengers onbaord??

Archived