Questions to help me on Ventura N813

janem2

Guys,

Going on my first cruise in a couple of weeks and have been reading these threads for a while now -- gotta be honest and say I wish I hadn't booked Ventura... but will go all out to try to have a great cruise. I have some questions I hope some of you can answer:

1: What time is breakfast from in the dining room (not self service). I am hoping to be able to dine there and then get off the ship at 8ish when it docks in various ports.

2: I understand you can use the ship's towels onboard at the pools. Do they allow you to take the towels off for use at the beach?

3: Do you get (or can you request) mint tea bags in the room - or should we take our own

4: Anyone stayed in a balcony on Riveria deck? Are these decent balconies?

5: Do all the quizzes take place in the smoking area of the ship? Reading the threads it sounds like they may...

6: I understand there should be taxis outside the ports - how do people cope with getting a taxi back to the ship from the quieter areas? Do taxis return? Thinking of Maspalomas (sp?) in particular as we would like to visit that beach

7: Its my birthday whilst in Vigo..any good recommendations for maybe a Turkish restaurant or ice-cream parlour? Anything but a fish place really..

8: Any hints and tips about using the spas?

Sorry to be so greedy with the amount of questions -- I promise to post an honest review when I get back as a thanks...

TIA

J

: What time is breakfast from in the dining room (not self service). I am hoping to be able to dine there and then get off the ship at 8ish when it docks in various ports.

2: I understand you can use the ship's towels onboard at the pools. Do they allow you to take the towels off for use at the beach?

Yes you can take them off the ship.

3: Do you get (or can you request) mint tea bags in the room - or should we take our own

No need to take your own just go to the buffet area and you can get them there.

Yes OK same size as others apart from D deck.

5: Do all the quizzes take place in the smoking area of the ship? Reading the threads it sounds like they may...

6: I understand there should be taxis outside the ports - how do people cope with getting a taxi back to the ship from the quieter areas? Do taxis return? Thinking of Maspalomas (sp?) in particular as we would like to visit that beach

We normally just ask the taxi driver to return for us. Or do not pay on outward trip and say you will pay on your return, that way they come back for you.

7: Its my birthday whilst in Vigo..any good recommendations for maybe a Turkish restaurant or ice-cream parlour? Anything but a fish place really..

Just use the Free one it has a sauna and steam room in there is one for ladies and another for gents. The one you pay for has heated beds and nice smelling showers etc.

Guys,

Going on my first cruise in a couple of weeks and have been reading these threads for a while now -- gotta be honest and say I wish I hadn't booked Ventura... but will go all out to try to have a great cruise. I have some questions I hope some of you can answer:

1: What time is breakfast from in the dining room (not self service). I am hoping to be able to dine there and then get off the ship at 8ish when it docks in various ports.

Sorry to be so greedy with the amount of questions -- I promise to post an honest review when I get back as a thanks...

TIA

J

Hi Jane, we too have booked on Ventura , we sail October 10th (N817). After reading so many negative reviews, like you, I wondered if we booked the right cruise? Hubby and myself talked it over, we gave it a lot of thought and decided to go ahead as planned.

Just go on your cruise, be open minded and you never know, it may be absolutely brilliant! Fingers crossed, maybe you will be able to give me some useful tips and positive reviews on your return...I do hope you have a wonderful holiday.

Janet

Just go on your cruise, be open minded and you never know, it may be absolutely brilliant!

Janet

thats the way i approach every holiday or cruise i go on... irrespective of the reviews on this and other sites..

a great attitude and i for one would like to thankyou for taking the time out to post..

Just to clarify some points.

Breakfast times in the restaurant vary depending on docking times. Tends to be a bit earlier when in port to allow time to get breakfast and still get off the ship. Check opening times the day before. On sea days its normally around 8am and port days can be as early as 7am

Towels. In your cabin you will find white towels hanging up for cabin use and there are also blue towels for swimming pool use, which you can take off the ship if you want

Brian

i have one of those 'travel towels' for my holidays and beach days..

they pack to almost zero, weight about the same and are mega absorbant and dry in minutes... that and they do XXL sizes so they are suitable for all..

can be found in all good outdoor shops, and even amazon if you look hard enough... a bit pricey, but i've had mine for years now and don't go anywhere without it... stops having to carry around bulky bags all day once you've been to the beach

With regards to taxis:

On my first cruise, we were seated with the ship's engineer and his wife (a former purser) at dinner. Based on their own experience, they recommended taking a postcard of the ship (found in your cabin folder) if you didn't speak the native language of the port. Just show it to a taxi driver and you are on your way back to the port.

janem2,

My first cruise is also on Ventura (N812) and I am staying on for N813.

We are having a bit of a get together on 1st Sept in Metropolis at Noon, why not come along and ask me (and my wife Claire) what the ship is like. As I say N812 is my first ever cruise and I am going fully expecting it to be excellent. With never having cruised before (like yourself) I do not have any preconceived ideas about service, standards, quality of food, yob element or anything really. I am not overly concerned with others negative opinions, I will judge for myself and use the experience when booking future cruises.

So don't worry, come and have a chat and I'm sure everything will be fine.

Just in case it is awful though and you see a fat bloke crying his eyes out in the corner screaming "two more weeks", stay away from me :-)

Pete.

janem2,

We are having a bit of a get together on 1st Sept in Metropolis at Noon, why not come along and ask me (and my wife Claire) what the ship is like. As I say N812 is my first ever cruise and I am going fully expecting it to be excellent. With never having cruised before (like yourself) I do not have any preconceived ideas about service, standards, quality of food, yob element or anything really. I am not overly concerned with others negative opinions, I will judge for myself and use the experience when booking future cruises.

So don't worry, come and have a chat and I'm sure everything will be fine.

Just in case it is awful though and you see a fat bloke crying his eyes out in the corner screaming "two more weeks", stay away from me :-)

Pete.

Pete, you really are music to my ears , hope you don't end up in tears ;) had we had been on your cruise, it would have been a pleasure to join the get together, (if invited- of course):D

SunnySideofSale, nice to know you feel as me, I have a very open mind regarding the Ventura and have to say I am really very excited...only 8 weeks to go for me:)

janem2,

We are having a bit of a get together on 1st Sept in Metropolis at Noon, why not come along and ask me (and my wife Claire) what the ship is like.

Hi Pete, me and the OH are also on the N813 and like you were for the N812 we are first time cruisers. We are doing the cruise as a reward for making it to our siliver wedding.

Know off the meet in Metropolis hope to so see you there along with the CN's & CC's.

P.s if you haven't registered with P&O I suggest you do so before you go as the CC (cruise community) on the site is free to use and you can post your musing of the N812 for all to see :)

Happy cruising for the N812.

How one can visit Vigo and not want to lunch on superlative sea food, beats me.

There are some superb sea-food formica-table-top cantinas a couple of blocks from where the ship docks.

Thanks!

We're calling at Vigo as the last stop on our Ventura 12-nighter in late September/early October (N816). We were going to do an excursion to Santiago de Compostela, but in view of all the comments about over-crowding, etc, on Ventura, we've decided that for this day we'll relax and enjoy the ship when most other passengers are on excursions. We were assuming that at some time we would go ashore to wander around and if we have a sea-food lunch to aim for, that gives a short trip ashore a purpose.

I've never been to Vigo: are these 'formica-table-top cantinas' hard to find?

How one can visit Vigo and not want to lunch on superlative sea food, beats me.

There are some superb sea-food formica-table-top cantinas a couple of blocks from where the ship docks.

My hubby and m-i-l love seafood and I indulge them 364 days a year...for my birthday I choose the food that I love...pity we are in a good seafood place on that day but hey, if you can't be selfish on your birthday, when can you be ?? :-)

Pete.

Oh Pete I'm sure it won't be like that. We will be picking your brains at the meet, I'm sure you will be a font of information for us.:)

Looking forward to seeing you.

Regards

Hi Jane, we too have booked on Ventura , we sail October 10th (N817). After reading so many negative reviews, like you, I wondered if we booked the right cruise? Hubby and myself talked it over, we gave it a lot of thought and decided to go ahead as planned.

Just go on your cruise, be open minded and you never know, it may be absolutely brilliant! Fingers crossed, maybe you will be able to give me some useful tips and positive reviews on your return...I do hope you have a wonderful holiday.

Janet

Hi JimJams (Janet) - I totally agree with you and Sunny Side of Sale. It must be awful for everyone reading these negative reports, having to pay thousands of pounds in balances and not being sure what to do for the best! I think like this, it is a brand new ship, in the style of Princess's tried and tested Grand Class (with a few tweaks here and there granted), it is P & O which is a good start, it has LOTS of dining options if your not happy with one,try another or tell someone in authority like the head waiter or maitre d', all the cabins should be in pristine condition so something less to be unhappy about about, ban on smoking most of the way (yippee!!! - sorry I know this might provoke an adverse reaction to some:rolleyes: ) - Kid areas in abundance so there should not be problems with kids in the bar areas ( I know in school holidays there may be a higher number so this might account for the disgruntled customers who travel in high season without kids complaining.....lesson there also I think, ....July/August... more expensive, more kids... figures surely?..... the long and the short of it... a cruise is what you make it. I would not cancel on the basis of a few moans and groans, albeit more than a few...I love Royal Caribbean personally (but have been on three p & O) and you still get similar reviews about them (RCI) but no cruise is perfect and there will always be some things that people like and others hate... I for one do not go to the shows much so would not notice the rush from dinner or shortage of seats etc etc. If I cannot get a sunbed because I came down later, I find a deck chair on the top, at the back...or a seat at the bar:D ...Nothing will spoil my cruise, I wont let it!

Have a great cruise Jane and DO NOT WORRY.... bet you write after saying you had a the time of your life;) Hollyanna

I for one do not go to the shows much so would not notice the rush from dinner or shortage of seats etc etc. If I cannot get a sunbed because I came down later, I find a deck chair on the top, at the back...or a seat at the bar:D ...Nothing will spoil my cruise, I wont let it!

Hollyanna, I couldn’t agree with you more!

I noticed the very same problems with QM2, you could not get a sun-bed for love nor money, Oriana same, so VENTURA can’t be singled out in that department. Like you, I am not too bothered with the pool areas! It’s just as nice to be decked out on one’s balcony with a G&T. Can take or leave the Theatre, would much rather enjoy our dinner then stroll on to some nice water hole for cocktails to finish off the evening.

It all depends what one is looking for in a cruise. We met a wonderful couple on QM2 who said VENTURA was a fantastic ship and when I told them about all the negative feedbacks they were shocked as they both had a great holiday. They added that the food was excellent, ( in fact they said it was better than the QM2), and the staff were lovely and stressed that they just couldn’t do enough for you.

As for the children, I would think that there are enough play areas and fun things to do for the duration of a cruise , so why would they annoy ppl especially when most seemed well behaved and enjoying themselves. One thing I have promised myself, if I do have the misfortune of meeting up with some of these whinging moaning cruisers, I will NOT let them spoil my holiday.

I am really looking forward to our Indian summer cruise in October and we are going to take it as it comes, enjoy every moment. Only 7 weeks to go and I just can’t wait…especially Rome & Monte Carlo

Having just returned from N811 please, please, please don't be put off by all the negative things that people are posting! We had a great time and absolutely loved it! :)

Thanks Fireflyuk for offering your very welcomed, positive comment! I am delighted that you had a wonderful holiday on board VENTURA .:)

I am also booked on Indian Summer on Ventura 10th Oct 08.We were considering cancelling after all the negative reviews but decided to go ahead and are now really looking forward to it.Peoples expectations of having a perfect holiday can sometimes be a bit over the top.We were on the Sea Princess 28th June 08 and had the misfortune of sitting next to an elderly couple at lunchtime that were causing such a scene because one their cups had a crack in it.You would not believe how they carried on.We had to leave.We then heard the same couple a few days later in one of the bars moaning how the cup incident had ruined their holiday.!All I can say is if a cracked cup can ruin your holiday,get a life.On the countdown now for Ventura.7 weeks on friday!!!!!!!Yippee

I am also booked on Indian Summer on Ventura 10th Oct 08.We were considering cancelling after all the negative reviews but decided to go ahead and are now really looking forward to it.Peoples expectations of having a perfect holiday can sometimes be a bit over the top.We were on the Sea Princess 28th June 08 and had the misfortune of sitting next to an elderly couple at lunchtime that were causing such a scene because one their cups had a crack in it.You would not believe how they carried on.We had to leave.We then heard the same couple a few days later in one of the bars moaning how the cup incident had ruined their holiday.!All I can say is if a cracked cup can ruin your holiday,get a life.On the countdown now for Ventura.7 weeks on friday!!!!!!!Yippee

Totally agree Tracie...

Some ppl are professional moaners and in doing so can spoil other ppls fun! I am a great believer of seeing for myself . I have only cruise twice before, last September on Oriana for 1 week, absolutely loved it. The staff were wonderful and the stateroom with balcony was spotless and well looked after.

July, went on QM2....only 4 days but again I loved it and it was completely different from Oriana, food and ppl, fantastic! However, we heard a few moaners but managed kept clear of them.

I am sure I will love Ventura, just go with an open mind and enjoy the experience....I am so excited, ditto YIPPIE....

Janet

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

we are booked on ventura in january, we are paid up in full and were counting down the weeks, and then i found this website!!! we were shocked at the comments and started to wish we had chosen another ship. we have previously done orianna and ocean village and had a great time on both.( although we did encounter the usual whingers )........ escuse the pun but we really pushed the boat out with ventura booking a delux balcony and premium flights so were in two minds as to change ships, but after reading tracie and janets comments we are determined to go and have a damn good holiday. I will write a review to let you know how we get on.

Lisa

Hi Guys

we are booked on ventura in january, we are paid up in full and were counting down the weeks, and then i found this website!!! we were shocked at the comments and started to wish we had chosen another ship. we have previously done orianna and ocean village and had a great time on both.( although we did encounter the usual whingers )........ escuse the pun but we really pushed the boat out with ventura booking a delux balcony and premium flights so were in two minds as to change ships, but after reading tracie and janets comments we are determined to go and have a damn good holiday. I will write a review to let you know how we get on.

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

We (hubby and me) sail VENTURA in just over 4 weeks and are looking so forward to it. Like you we have booked stateroom and balcony, booked our holiday as soon as details released back early 2007. At first I was horrified at some of the negative comments ppl were posting day after day. But you know there are also many reviews from ppl who absolutely loved VENTURA and I am willing to believe them and so should you Lisa.

On QM2, ( we did the mini cruise to Hamburg in July) we sat at a table for 4, our tablemates were lovely ppl and had sailed on VENTURA earlier in the year, they loved every minute and said we would have a brilliant cruise .

Go with a very open mind , ignore the moaners and you will have a great cruise Lisa.

Janet

Archived