1/4 cup Corn Starch

1/4 teaspoon salt

½ cup butter

10 egg yolks

2 vanilla beans

5 cups milk

1/4 cup cognac

10 egg whites

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare 8 4 inch oven proof souffle dishes. Butter the bottom and insides of the dishes well. Coat the buttered surface with sugar.

Cream the flour, cornstarch, sugar, salt, butter and egg yolks together gently without incorporating too much air. Meanwhile split and scoop out the vanilla bean, add to the milk and bring just to a boil. Slowly add the hot milk into the egg mixture until it is well combined. Return the mixture to a moderate heat and continue to cook until well thickened, do not boil the custard or it will curdle. Remove from the heat, strain and cool. Stir the cognac into the mixture. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Gently fold the egg whites into the mixture. Fill the souffle cups to ½ inch from the top. Place the souffles in the oven and bake approximately 25 minutes until the souffles have doubled in size, browned and firmed slightly. Disturb the souffles as little as possible while baking, especially in the first 15 minutes.

Grand Marnier Sauce

½ cup sugar

6 egg yolks

2 ½ cups milk

1/4 cup grand Marnier

1/8 cup cognac

Prepare the sauce by creaming the sugar and egg yolks together. Bring the milk to a boil and slowly add the hot milk into the egg mixture. Add the Grand Marnier and cognac. Return to moderate heat and cook approximately 10 minutes until it thickens enough to coat a spoon well. Do not allow the sauce to boil.

The souffle has to be served immediately once cooked. Dust the souffles with the confectioner’s sugar and serve warm with the warm sauce on the side. When eating with the sauce, split the top of a souffle and pour a little directly into the center.

This recipe can be used as a base to add different liquers, flavors, nuts, chocolate etc.

Lenore

Lenore, thanks so much for posting this. I'm really not that great a cook but I think I can follow these instructions. I want to surprise my husband with this souffle! My mouth is watering just reading the recipe.

More than one souffle was served with vanilla sauce on our recent Tahitian cruise. My favorite was the Hazelnut souffle, the the three flavored/colored one a close second (can't remember what they called it...)

Hey Ben! Hope all is well with you and the Watcher family!

I think that would have been the Harlequin Souffle...Dang I want one now! :D

Cheers,

Bruce

Archived