Eggs Benedict

calikak

Some people are connoisseurs of wine...and then there's my husband, a connoisseur of eggs benedict. Has anyone tried the eggs benedict on the Sun, Dawn, or Golden recently? Are they good, or just so-so? Do they make them with any weird extra ingredients (dill, salmon, crabcakes instead of english muffins)? A good eggs benedict might convince him to get up out of bed and go to the dining room for breakfast with me. A bad eggs benedict will convince him to just stick with the Horizon Court.

Good thing you're one of my best friends, or I'd have to kick your bootie for a comment like that! :D Like you and your DH aren't also Captain Random from time to time, seriously!

For those of you who don't know us, PrincessXena lives two doors down from me, and we were bridesmaids in each other's weddings, and our husbands work together, and she and my DH and her DH all went to college together, and...well, the list is too long to bother posting here! :D

I think they're excellent. Even if they're not on the menu, you can talk to the Maitre D the night before and let him know that you'd like Eggs Benedict the next morning. Then, when you get to the dining room, just order your E.B. :) Others will be wondering how you did that and why you're so special.

Thanks, everyone! Like I said, my DH is crazy about eggs benedict, but only if they're done well. He really is a snob, I mean, connoisseur, about his eggs benedict-if it's not good, then he turns up his nose and says, "I've had better." :rolleyes:

Thanks, everyone! Like I said, my DH is crazy about eggs benedict, but only if they're done well. He really is a snob, I mean, connoisseur, about his eggs benedict-if it's not good, then he turns up his nose and says, "I've had better." :rolleyes:

Hi Beth, I have been told I make the best Eggs Benedict ever! A suite is not necessary, just a nice Balcony cabin and I will make them for him to order whenever he wants! I can do Eggs Hussard, Sardou.... etc as well. Brabant potatoes are a nice compliment to them too!

I think they're excellent. Even if they're not on the menu, you can talk to the Maitre D the night before and let him know that you'd like Eggs Benedict the next morning. Then, when you get to the dining room, just order your E.B. :) Others will be wondering how you did that and why you're so special.

My husband loves Eggs Benedict too. They only offer them one morning in the dining room. We learned early that you can order them the night before and have them every morning if you like. My DH loved them. I think they were fine. Not the best I have ever had, but not bad either.

Like your DH I am also a big fan of eggs benedict. We were told on one of our recent cruises that they can't make them when they are in a US port becuase of the raw eggs used in the sauce. We "take care" of our head waiter and in addition to the fresh squeezed OJ each morning I get the benedict, except in St. Thomas, San Juan and Florida.

Like your DH I am also a big fan of eggs benedict. We were told on one of our recent cruises that they can't make them when they are in a US port becuase of the raw eggs used in the sauce. We "take care" of our head waiter and in addition to the fresh squeezed OJ each morning I get the benedict, except in St. Thomas, San Juan and Florida.

The eggs aren't raw..... they are fully cooked........ but glad u take care of the staff........

I don't know if they are perfect as i am not much for eggs, but they do have eggs benedict in the Horizon Court most mornings........i have had them a couple of trips and they are very nice.......nothing weird..........

On Pacific Princess (new), they served eggs benedict at the Captain's Circle Brunch for most travelled couples, this past Nov., Papeete to Sydney.

I thought they were OK, our tablemates thought they were outstanding. Varying tastes, I presume.

I personally would rather have an egg over easy!

Ok, I'm not sure if the eggs in the Hollandaise sauce are fully cooked, semi-cooked, or raw, but what difference does being in a U.S. port make? Fine restaurants serve Eggs Benedict with Hollandaise sauce all the time (and many of those restaurants have a note in fine print on their menus that uncooked or partially cooked eggs and meat may cause diseases such as salmonella) but it doesn't stop them from serving Hollandaise sauce and rare steak in the U.S. Why the ports? It would seem logical you can't order rare steak in port either then. Doesn't make sense to me.

Unless the egg is solidly cooked all the way through, it's not cooked either. So can people order eggs sunny side up or over easy in US ports? I find it hard to believe that eggs benedict isn't served in US ports for that reason.

I also love eggs benedict. Our family tradition for many years is eggs benedict for breakfast on all the big holidays. There would be a mutany if I didn't!! In fact we will be cruising over Thanksgiving this year and already my oldest son has mentioned the fact that there won't be eggs benedict and how will I make it up to him. :)

The hollandaise sauce I make is in a blender, the egg yolks and melted butter are blended together and it's the best hollandaise sauce I have ever had AND it NEVER separates!! I doubt the melted butter cooks the egg yolks. :)

I've run into the "no raw eggs" rule a couple of times. Most recently at a local steak house here in Denver when I asked for Hollandaise Sauce on my asparagus, they told me they could not longer serve Hollandaise because of the raw egg but could server a Béarnaise which apparently doesn't use raw egg.

On our Star Princess Alaska cruise last year we could only have Eggs Benedict on our sea day and when we were in Victoria due to US health department rules.

I fully agree it is pretty stupid!

Here is a recipe for Hollandaise Sauce:

3 egg yolks

1/2 t. salt

dash of cayenne pepper

1 t. cream

cup melted sweet butter, heated until bubbling but not brown

1 T. lemon juice or white wine vinegar

Place egg yolks, salt, pepper and cream in blender. Blend for a few seconds at high speed until you have a smooth

frothy mixture. With the mixture still going at high speed, start adding the hot butter in a thin stream. As you add

the butter, the sauce should thicken. When half the butter has been added, add lemon juice or vinegar. Continue

blending until all the butter is used. Use at once or store in well-sealed container for later in the day. Reheat slowly!

Do they place the American eggs and Canadian Bacon on a real Holland rusk and sprikle all with Hungarian Paprika????? Which ports?

I make both bernaise and hollandaise sauces over an open flame careful not to overheat it. The eggs are cooked in this method. They come out very creamy and rich. Like a prev post, an over easy egg is prob cooked less than the sauce.

Archived