Ryndam involved in rescue at sea

cf_chuck

Thanks for the link - those folks adrift were very lucky the honeymoon couple were out and about to spot them instead of otherwise occupied, doing what honeymoon couple on cruise ships do;)

HAL crews are very impressive to watch in rescue operations. They drill long hours on just that

On other thing that caught my attention was this reference in the article:

"Andrew, 26, ran to the cockpit to alert the captain who immediately contacted the coastguard and began to turn the liner back towards the stranded vessel."

I knew Ryndam can go fast but not that fast!;)

Shouldn't the Bridge Crew have seen the small boat on radar, and seen them with the binoculars that Bridge Crews typically use....? I'd like to think that the OOD would have a pretty good idea of everything that was happening within a mile or two of the ship!

Good thing that the groom figured out a way to get into the "cockpit," since that is usually closed to passengers. I always figured the only way to get a message to the bridge would be by going to the purser's desk, or something like that.

That couple on the small boat was lucky.

I was on the Ryndam in 2001, the San Diego to Rio cruise, when "we" rescued a jet-skier. The jet-ski had run out of gas and the poor kid was carried out to sea on the currents. He had been floating around for almost two days when we found him - he must have thought that he was hallucinating when he saw the ship come over the horizon. He did promise faithfully that there would be no more jet-skiing for him.:D

As a matter of interest, regarding Timethief's post: it was the Bridge Crew that spotted him.

Valerie:)

Archived