Fantasy Class Longer Cruises Poll

AberAlex

In general: How many days would you like to spend on a Fantasy Class ship?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. In general: How many days would you like to spend on a Fantasy Class ship?

• Less Than 7 Days
    • A Week
    • More Than 7 Days

I just read a post on CC and the Carnival webite about the Elation dropping its 4 & 5 day itenerary to Cabo in favor of a 3 & 4 day trip to Catalina and Ensenada like the Paradise. This has prompted me to post a question I have been wondering for some time: How many on this board would be interested in a longer cruise on a "Fantasy Class" ship? Seems to me when I sail on the Elation this October it will be the last 6 day cruise I can see for any "Fantasy Class" ships and I certainly don't see any 7 dayers out there. Given all the options out there would you sail on a Fantasy Class ship for a week or even more?

Some in the industry would argue that the larger ships are more economical for longer cruises but what about a Fantasy Class ship sailing in tandem with a moderately larger Spirit or Destiny/Triumph Class ship?

I know that for at least a couple years in the mid-90's Carnival ran the smaller, older Festivale alongside the then new mega-ship Fascination on week-long cruises out of San Juan. And that the former Jubilee of the "Holiday Class" was carnival's workhorse on their 7 day+ iteneraries to Alaska, Hawaii, the exotic Caribbean and the Panama Canal until the Spirit took most of those iteneraries over a few years ago.

I have heard Carnival has people read these boards so if you have any advice for an itenerary or the ship for that route, no harm in posting it. It's all wishful thinking right now but you never know what will happen down the road. With the success of the "Evolutions of Fun" revamp Carnival might be tempted to put one or two of their good as new "Fantasy Class" ships into serivce on longer runs again. :D

Carnival is actually moving in the opposite direction. Destiny will be doing 4/5 day cruises this fall. Triumph just announced it will be doing 4,5 day cruises next fall.

Unless they decide to send one of the Fantasy class through the Panama Canal to switch it from one of the coast, not sure you will see any of the Fantasy class ships used in 7+ day runs.

I'll start off by suggesting either the Elation which I personally feel will be doing a ridiculous itenerary when it starts its 3 & 4 day cruises next spring or the Sensation, which I believe was going to go to Mobile until the Fantasy claimed that spot, would be good candidates to do 7 day cruises with the Victory out of San Juan during the winter and week long cruises to New England during the summer. :cool:

I'll start off by suggesting either the Elation which I personally feel will be doing a ridiculous itenerary when it starts its 3 & 4 day cruises next spring or the Sensation, which I believe was going to go to Mobile until the Fantasy claimed that spot, would be good candidates to do 7 day cruises with the Victory out of San Juan during the winter and week long cruises to New England during the summer. :cool:

I have been 99% sure the Fantasy was going to Mobile at some time. The Fantasy and Holiday's cruise schedule both ended the end of Dec 09, coincidence??? Hardly.

I dont believe it was ever in the plan to send the Sensation to the gulf. Not with the schedules by Carnival such as they were.

One thing about a shorter cruise, they are often cheaper on a per day cost basis, a real bargain. cheaper to do a B2B on two shorter cruises than one 7 day cruise. I did that on RCL last fall, because it was cheaper and 2 cruise credits.

I have been 99% sure the Fantasy was going to Mobile at some time. The Fantasy and Holiday's cruise schedule both ended the end of Dec 09, coincidence??? Hardly.

I dont believe it was ever in the plan to send the Sensation to the gulf. Not with the schedules by Carnival such as they were.

One thing about a shorter cruise, they are often cheaper on a per day cost basis, a real bargain. cheaper to do a B2B on two shorter cruises than one 7 day cruise. I did that on RCL last fall, because it was cheaper and 2 cruise credits.

I agree a lot with what you had to say about just doing a B2B cruise. My only concern with most B2B's, not all, but most, is that you tend to see the same ports on a 3 day cruise as you do on a 4 day, usually with one missing or a day at sea gone. An example off the top of my head would be the Paradise's (and now the Elation's) itenerary on the west coast: the four day goes to Ensenada & Catalina, the three day just goes to Ensenada. On a B2B you'd see Catalina but have to see Ensenada twice. If it were a week long cruise you could go to say Catalina, Ensenada ONCE (or maybe not at all ;)), Cabo and maybe either La Paz or Mazatlan before returning home.

Archived