Merc or Mille?

4yanx

My wife and I have cruised on several occasions but not on Celebrity. We are planning to book a short 3-4 day northwest coastal cruise as a late-added supplement to 25th anniversary plans next month. Food quality and presentation, cabin comfort, and live entertainment probably rank 1-2-3 as far as priorities go. Shore excursion, kids activities, pool fun, etc. rank with little to no importance for THIS cruise.

All else being equal, which it never is, and assuming a veranda stateroom, which ship is the better choice, Mercury or Millenium? We could also do a three day on the HAL Statendam duirng our opportunity window, as well.

Mercury and Millenium are of two entirely different Class ships. I've always enjoyed Mercury for longer cruises. It's a great ship, with lovely public spaces...but I think that the Millie for a shorter cruise, may fit your plans.

My wife and I have cruised on several occasions but not on Celebrity. We are planning to book a short 3-4 day northwest coastal cruise as a late-added supplement to 25th anniversary plans next month. Food quality and presentation, cabin comfort, and live entertainment probably rank 1-2-3 as far as priorities go. Shore excursion, kids activities, pool fun, etc. rank with little to no importance for THIS cruise.

All else being equal, which it never is, and assuming a veranda stateroom, which ship is the better choice, Mercury or Millenium? We could also do a three day on the HAL Statendam duirng our opportunity window, as well.

Hi 4yanx :)

For a verandah cabin that is not a suite I would recommend booking a concierge class cabin on Millennium because it is 191 Sf while the largest non suite cabin, with the exception of a family cabin, on Mercury is only 170 Sf.

However, Mercury has awesome sky suites on its sky deck, with huge balconies that are partly covered and partly exposed to the sun.

Millennium has a wonderful specialty restaurant, but based on our experience, the food in the main dining room was much better on Mercury than it was on Millennium.

For a verandah cabin that is not a suite I would recommend booking a concierge class cabin on Millennium because it is 191 Sf while the largest non suite cabin, with the exception of a family cabin, on Mercury is only 170 Sf.

However, Mercury has awesome sky suites on its sky deck, with huge balconies that are partly covered and partly exposed to the sun.

Millennium has a wonderful specialty restaurant, but based on our experience, the food in the main dining room was much better on Mercury than it was on Millennium.

Hi SS, thanks, and thanks to all others, too. Your very last notion is what may have us the most torn. We DO like good food and factor it heavily in the overall equation. To us, as one goes up the cruise ladder, this becomes even more of a determinent to us. If it were only, say, room size, we'd jump on a superior suite on Oosterdam 370-odd sf for about the same price! :) ;)

Is the competition keen enough for the specialty restaurant on Mille that it would be hard to get reservations for EACH of the 3-4 nights? These days, I do not relish the idea of rushing to get aboard and then rushing to see the maitre'd, or whomever, to secure reservations before someone else. Perfectly basted bird in hand...ya know. ;)

Hi SS, thanks, and thanks to all others, too. Your very last notion is what may have us the most torn. We DO like good food and factor it heavily in the overall equation. To us, as one goes up the cruise ladder, this becomes even more of a determinent to us. If it were only, say, room size, we'd jump on a superior suite on Oosterdam 370-odd sf for about the same price! :) ;)

Is the competition keen enough for the specialty restaurant on Mille that it would be hard to get reservations for EACH of the 3-4 nights? These days, I do not relish the idea of rushing to get aboard and then rushing to see the maitre'd, or whomever, to secure reservations before someone else. Perfectly basted bird in hand...ya know. ;)

If I was in your position and could get a superior suite on Oosterdam for the same price, I would grab it. We had a superior suite on Westerdam, its sister ship, and it was significantly superior to Celebrity's Concierge class cabins, and even nicer than Celebrity sky suites.

Celebrity has a better specialty restaurant than Holland America but Holland America has a much better buffet. The food in the main dining room is very comparable on both lines.

Archived