Zuiderdam

kdowneymd

I am mystified.

I also checked the Member List and could not find "gaylec" anywhere.

It was my understanding that you have to be a member to submit a Review??? Am I wrong??

I could not find a 2005 review by her -- someone maybe can lead me in the right direction?

Maybe a Host will drop by and clear up about whether or not you need to be a member to write a review.

When I read the Zuiderdam review, I then clicked on Gaylec's name and the other review came up as well. I then read it. It seems Gaylec does not have a good cruise history.

Terri

I am mystified.

I also checked the Member List and could not find "gaylec" anywhere.

It was my understanding that you have to be a member to submit a Review??? Am I wrong??

I could not find a 2005 review by her -- someone maybe can lead me in the right direction?

Maybe a Host will drop by and clear up about whether or not you need to be a member to write a review.

2005? I wouldn't put much stock in a review from 2005 and the person who posted it may have been a member then but no longer is.

Anyway, the Zuiderdam has been refurbished recently.

I’ve been reading the Ms Zuiderman reviews too because we will be on her this October. We are very excited about our voyage and reading such dire reviews can be discouraging. But I must say, last year when my niece and I went on the Star Princess, it was first time on the Star so I read up about the ship. Same kind of review the Zuiderdam is getting, stinky sewage problem, I was troubled about it. We get on the ship and never, not once did I smell anything as bad as the review stated.

And honestly, truth be told every ship I’ve ever been on has had some kind of poo smell, it can be very faint or somewhat strong at times. Also, I’ve gone into many ships public bathrooms that had an overflow in the little girls room, why? People are gross and put things down the drain they shouldn’t! This is why you get public notice memos in your stateroom, to remind people only to depose tissue paper in the toilet. This is why some ships have permanent signs place above the toilets telling you not to put anything else down the drain. Do people read this? Seems like a few do not care and causes a nasty problem. Do I think they should have closed the restroom and cleaned it up fast? Certainly, I do.

I think it would be very unpleasant to have a stateroom that stank non-stop, matter of fact, not sure how I would handle that, but I’m not so convinced this problem is solely on the Zuiderdam, I think it is on every single ship. I’ve been on 7 different cruise lines, they all have been smelly from time to time. I’ve never let this have an effect on my trip. For me cruising is and I hope always will be to some extent magical. I love waking up in a new destination and then sailing away at sunset, gazing at the stars at night, watching other ships pass by from afar, feeling and smelling the sea breeze, I love the feeling at sea and I also I love getting to meet people on the ship from all over the world, even if I don’t understand every word they pronounce, it adds to my experience. I can still say in all honesty, my most horrible cruise experiences (I’ve had a few) have been amazing.

Really sorry so many have had some bad times on this ship. I hope all of us sailing her soon will end up having a better time.

I’ve been reading the Ms Zuiderman reviews too because we will be on her this October. We are very excited about our voyage and reading such dire reviews can be discouraging. But I must say, last year when my niece and I went on the Star Princess, it was first time on the Star so I read up about the ship. Same kind of review the Zuiderdam is getting, stinky sewage problem, I was troubled about it. We get on the ship and never, not once did I smell anything as bad as the review stated.

And honestly, truth be told every ship I’ve ever been on has had some kind of poo smell, it can be very faint or somewhat strong at times. Also, I’ve gone into many ships public bathrooms that had an overflow in the little girls room, why? People are gross and put things down the drain they shouldn’t! This is why you get public notice memos in your stateroom, to remind people only to depose tissue paper in the toilet. This is why some ships have permanent signs place above the toilets telling you not to put anything else down the drain. Do people read this? Seems like a few do not care and causes a nasty problem. Do I think they should have closed the restroom and cleaned it up fast? Certainly, I do.

I think it would be very unpleasant to have a stateroom that stank non-stop, matter of fact, not sure how I would handle that, but I’m not so convinced this problem is solely on the Zuiderdam, I think it is on every single ship. I’ve been on 7 different cruise lines, they all have been smelly from time to time. I’ve never let this have an effect on my trip. For me cruising is and I hope always will be to some extent magical. I love waking up in a new destination and then sailing away at sunset, gazing at the stars at night, watching other ships pass by from afar, feeling and smelling the sea breeze, I love the feeling at sea and I also I love getting to meet people on the ship from all over the world, even if I don’t understand every word they pronounce, it adds to my experience. I can still say in all honesty, my most horrible cruise experiences (I’ve had a few) have been amazing.

Really sorry so many have had some bad times on this ship. I hope all of us sailing her soon will end up having a better time.

Thank You. You have expressed my sentiments, exactly. While I don't have the cruising experience you have had, I can say I was on the Zuiderdam last summer and did not experience these problems. However, we were in Alaska and maybe the cold air helped dispel some of the odors. I have a very sensitive nose, and I did not notice any odors. I expect to have a good time and will keep an open mind.

Terri

Members on our roll call for the Zuiderdam - October 23 - have been very concerned about gaylec's review of the Zuiderdam.

Several of you have said what I expected - that you did not experience the same things. I wish one of you would also post a review to counter gaylec so there is a more balanced review of the Zuiderdam.

Did you notice that gaylec also posted a reivew in 2005 where she trashed the Carnival Glory? I wonder if there is a pattern here? Also, she mentioned that her husband had died recently - unexpectedly. I feel very sorry for her but wonder if that impacted her review.

I have no doubt that she disliked her cruise but many of you have seen it differently. This is consistent with our cruising history - there are many people who just enjoy being unhappy or showing off that they have travelled widely. Also, there are cruise lines for everyone - we did not care for Royal Caribbean - does that make it a bad cruise line. No - just not the one for us.

Doug

Yikes. Four people (including 2 teenagers) "crammed" into two rooms. I know not all rooms are large, but I haven't seen a balcony room that would be "crammed" by 2 people.

As another member says, "Your mileage may vary"

Unless the Zuiderdam has totally deteriorated, I find the subject review hard to believe. We had one of our best cruise vacations (of 17 total) on the Zuiderdam. We loved it so much, that we've booked the Maasdam 14 day holiday sailing this year.

Granted, we are not hard to please and find something to enjoy on every cruise. We also work hard to overlook things that don't go as well as expected.

I have no doubt that she disliked her cruise but many of you have seen it differently. This is consistent with our cruising history - there are many people who just enjoy being unhappy or showing off that they have travelled widely. Also, there are cruise lines for everyone - we did not care for Royal Caribbean - does that make it a bad cruise line. No - just not the one for us.

Doug

Same here -- we did 1 RCI cruise many years ago -- it just isn't for us. And I have actually recommended RCI to aeveral people -- all because of the rock climbing and ice rink, etc.

I was on the Zuideram Eastern Med cruise which finished on 24 August. Only 1 review has been posted about the cruise and it was broadly complimentary. And thats out of 2,000 passengers. I think that if the Zuiderdam was really so bad you would have had lots of negative reviews. Statistically out of 2,000 people there's bound to be someone on every cruise for whom everything goes wrong, from flights to lost luggage to problems with the cabin. That is unfortunate and isnt pleasant if you happen to be that person.

Archived