Venice - ship to hotel

Staying in Venice for 2 nights post-cruise. We're thinking of taking the vaporetto to our hotel (the hotel is right near a stop). Two questions:

Can we get on the vaporetto with 4 pieces of luggage (2 each)?

How do I get from the ship to Piazzale Roma to catch the vaporetto?

Thanks!

Others have posted there can be a charge for luggage on the vaporetti.

Check out this website, there be more info.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice_transportation.htm

Your ship should have a shuttle to Piazzale Roma where the vaporetto stop is. And sometimes, the city of Venice offers shuttles too.

You might want to buy the vaporetto pass, at the ACTV office at Piazzale Roma. I plan to get a 72 hour pass, but I think they come in 24 & 48 hours too.

If you roam around the above website, there is so much info.

Basically three or four ways to leave the ship: Alilaguna gets you to St. Marks square and expects and deals with your luggage. Vaparetto charges for luggage is not expecting any and you deal with it (from P. Roma, not port). I would expect when crowded with tourists this would be a real memory and not pleasant. Water taxi charges and gets you to/close to your hotel if there is a waterway. If your hotel is walkable from P. Roma and you are in great health with only one large suitcase each, you are on the ground. The best thing to do is to email your hotel and ask them?

David

Our hotel is a 30 second walk from the St. Stae Vaporetto stop. I asked the hotel about it and they said luggage is no problem on the vaporetto but I've read more than once that if they're crowded it could be a problem - thus my posting.

Trying to avoid water taxi since its so expensive. I plan on taking one from the hotel to the airport when we fly home so I don't want to have to fork over the dough if I can help it.

We'll have 4 pcs of luggage (hey - it's a 17 day trip!)

AGabbyMama - just checked out the site - what a terrific tip! Super helpful. Thank you! Anyone going to Venice for the first time that is worried about transportation should check out this site.

Our hotel is a 30 second walk from the St. Stae Vaporetto stop. I asked the hotel about it and they said luggage is no problem on the vaporetto but I've read more than once that if they're crowded it could be a problem - thus my posting.

Trying to avoid water taxi since its so expensive. I plan on taking one from the hotel to the airport when we fly home so I don't want to have to fork over the dough if I can help it.

We'll have 4 pcs of luggage (hey - it's a 17 day trip!)

Auntiejo.

A couple of questions. How old are you and your fellow traveler and how fit are you?

There will likely be steps to get to the landing and the dock to vaporetto is not necessarily level or smooth, and there will be a throng of people in front of you and behind you as well, and none of them will be "happy" to see you getting in their way.

Also, depending on the time of day, the vaporetto could be packed, as in standing room only, and will you also have a purse, camera or other such item handing around your neck.

Picture getting on a bus or subway in your home city during rush hour.

And if there's an issue, how fluent are you in Italian?

Just some things to consider.

a

You make a good point.....

We're late 30's and active but speak no Italian whatsoever. After reading your posting I am picturing myself getting very irritated and full of anxiety trying to navigate my luggage, handbag, camera, etc., etc......not the best way to start off my tmie in Venice!

We're very savvy travelers and do not fear getting lost or on the wrong vaporetto - however I do not want to make a scene dragging all my junk onto the boat! I see the dollar signs of a water taxi in my future!

You make a good point.....

We're late 30's and active but speak no Italian whatsoever. After reading your posting I am picturing myself getting very irritated and full of anxiety trying to navigate my luggage, handbag, camera, etc., etc......not the best way to start off my tmie in Venice!

We're very savvy travelers and do not fear getting lost or on the wrong vaporetto - however I do not want to make a scene dragging all my junk onto the boat! I see the dollar signs of a water taxi in my future!

You are clearly a very wise woman!

Being on the wrong vaporetto is one thing, being on the wrong vaporetto with your hands full of "stuff" and arguing with the vaporetto's crew is another. The water taxi is a FUN ride.

a

You could always pack 1 bag for the hotel & check the others at the bag storage in P. Roma area.

Take the vaporetto to the hotel then later get your other bags when it is less crowded.

You are allowed 1 suitcase free of charge on the vaporetto (check the dimensions allowed) they will charge for extras

This is a good site to show the routes

http://www.venice-rentals.com/info/routes.html

Great advice for LHT28 - just take what you need into Venice and leave the rest a P. Roma for your return trip. Left bags cost around €3 per day.

Don`t forget, if you shell out for a water taxi on the way there, you will need to shell out for one on the way back if you take all your luggage.

1 bag is OK on the Vaporettos. Take Nr 1 to S. Stae.

Archived