Age of Cruisers - 11 mo. too young?

intotheoh

My wife and I are looking at booking a Nov. 2009 double dip cruise and our son will be about 11 months old by then.

We want to go visit our grandparents (NY snowbirds) in FL so they can see their grandson for the first time and thought "well why not take a cruise too!?"

Do you think 11 months is too young?

We took our son on a Carnival cruise in April and he was 11 months old. We had an awesome time. He loves to travel and be in new places so his personality really helped to make it an enjoyable time. He's normally in daycare, and he really loved spending the week with us and was always smiling that week. It's definitely not the same as cruising adults only, but we had a great relaxing week. We enjoyed it so much, that we have another one planned in October when he's 17 months old.

You see lots of kids 1 or under.

It is totally up to you. Me I would do it. It is no more work than staying home with him.

They have a nursery and your allotted 10 hours per cruise but can often pick up extra hours. That will give you some adult time for visiting. You will have a beeper so they can reach you ASAP if needed, also a 2 way window where youc an sneak in and observe your child.

$6 per hour, 2 hour minimum.

True he cant go in the pools,

however both ships have a toddler play area.

Swim diapers required.

On the Wonder it is a new splash zone beside the slide with a soft floor and water spouts that spurt now and then. Toddlers love it.

The Magic dedicates one ear to toddlers with the same set up, although after September dry dock I am hoping the Magic will have the same splash area as the Wondernow has, it is great for little ones to get wet and have fun.

Opt for early dining if you can. Most people with young kids try for early, so it is a bit more noisy than late dining.

Use an umbrella type stroller if possible to fit more easily in the halls, restaurants, and in your room or on the islands you go to.

The Promenade lounge in the evenings has music and many people have young kids there on the dance floor, your is too young for that, but if you sit to the side there is always room for him to stretch out or nap while you enjoy some music.

Deck 4 is a great place to push the stroller til he falls asleep. It is very quiet on 4 if you want to let him nap while you enjoy the view from a nice padded lounge chair.

If you decide to go, request a port a crib when you book. They are free and it will be waiting in your cabin for you. They do run out sometimes, so request at booking.

mom x4,grandma x4

Something tells me he wouldn't have fun with Grandma and Grandpa in a retirement community while we cruised.

I am well aware that he wouldn't be able to swim, but I was under the impression that there was a splash zone.

I think we will probably go and just get the insurance. That way if there is any chance of him being sick we can cancel.

I just booked 4 day on the Wonder and my daughter will be 11 mos. when we sail. I think it would be a great time. I didn't hesitate to book because of her. One of the reasons I picked Disney was because they do have a splash area with a special filtration system for babies that aren't potty trained.

Go, bring your child, and have an awesome cruise!:)

Our son was 9 mo when we took him on a 10-nt RCCL cruise. It was a great experience and the staff couldn't have been nicer or more accomodating.

Just remember that at that age it's definitely not going to be a relaxing vacation for YOU, even if you have grandparents along to help out. We did have DS's grandparents with us, but when his nap/sleep schedule got all screwed up due to the time changes and was up A LOT during the night and got up WAAAAY too early in the mornings (5:00am!) it was us who had to deal with him. And when he pitched a fit at dinner every night because it was too late for him (second seating) and we couldn't get a table at the main seating since it was filled up before we booked it was us who had to take turns taking him out of the dining room to let off some steam. Don't get me wrong - it was a great experience and DS had a lot of fun, it just wasn't the time of relaxation that I'd been hoping for. ;)

Not true. There are special water areas for him on both Magic and Wonder. My daughter was 8 months old on Magic.

intotheoh - Come on over to the family board if you want advice about cruising with infants...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

But those aren't the pools... I know about the splash areas, I was just pointing out no babies in the pools. :)

But those aren't the pools... I know about the splash areas, I was just pointing out no babies in the pools. :)

I think it's less important that the baby gets to go in the deeper pool but more important that Disney (and RCCL) are the only cruiselines that try to provide a water area for babies on their ships. ;)

It is actually great that they do that. And if anyone wanted to take a baby on a ship, Disney would be a good choice.

We took our son at 13 months - we all had a great time - he was happy to stay in the Mickey ear at the pool, loved the shows, the beach, the deck parties- go and enjoy yourself!! I think cruising at age 1 was easier than cruising at age 2 - at 2 he wanted to do everything his older sibs were doing & was not allowed because he was not potty trained...

My advice though is to try to stick to nap & bedtime schedule as much as possible to avoid meltdowns ;)

Our 9 mo is going in May. We have talked about bringing her with us to dinner and taking her to Founders before our entree. The other thought is taking her to the buffet area for dinner. That way we hope she won't be as fussy when we have dinner.

Archived