Helsinki/St. Petersberg/Tallin/ multiple ships in port?

bigwally

Looking at an itinerary that will have 2 ships, one large (2900 pax) and one medium (1800 pax), in Helsinki, St. Petersburg for both days, and then Tallin at the same time. Compounding St. Petersburg crowding will be a third medium to large ship (2400 pax) on the second day.

This is an early May sailing, so there won't be a whole lot of vacation traffic other than that from the ships. But is that too many people for any of those towns?

Oh, and that's only sailings from predominantly American market lines, which I know of from being interested in their itinearies. I haven't even checked for sailings by European market lines yet!

My opinion-

Helsinki absolutely no problem, we were there with 3 medium sized cruise ships and did not even notice it.

St Petersburg probably no problem as most take shore excursions. It is hard to tell how many cruise ships were there as the port has multiple docks and you cannot see any other ships. There was no real cruise ship terminal. The tours were timed pretty well and though it was very busy in July when we were there, we saw all we wanted with no problem.

We were in Tallin with 3 cruise ships also and though this city is much smaller than the other two, I thought it just fine. The shops were busy, but not packed.

When I was in the Baltics last year (HAL Veendam), we were in Tallinn with another ship (RCI I believe), in St. Petersburg with 2 other ships (Princess and a smaller ship, perhaps Seabourn), and in Helsinki with a Celebrity ship.

It was fine. St. Peterburg is a big enough city with tons of attractions that crowds aren't really a problem.

We didn't feel like it was a problem in Helsinki either with the Celebrity ship in town.

And Tallinn had a lots of tourists which I think added to the atmosphere, but I wouldn't call it crowded by any means!

Have fun!

Archived