$10.00 per person per day, thats all !!!!!!!

Terry305

Some here had some nervs.

Instead of jumping at me jump in the others than find all the excuses to be cheap.

You think you are going to made me feel bad telling me in my face that I have no manners??? what you are doing is also rude and shows lack of manners by the way.

Terry

Dan40- Excellent post

Terri- Imagine if Carnival invoked a 15% gratuitiy based on the value of each meal.. not other services but each meal... LOL.. That $10 per day would become a real bargain to them ... :)

Some here had some nervs.

Instead of jumping at me jump in the others than find all the excuses to be cheap.

You think you are going to made me feel bad telling me in my face that I have no manners??? what you are doing is also rude and shows lack of manners by the way.

Terry

That's not what was said, but you're going to read into it what you want to read into it as you've done on numerous other threads.

I'm not going to try to reason with you; I'm going to ignore you in the future.

Dan40- Excellent post

Terri- Imagine if Carnival invoked a 15% gratuitiy based on the value of each meal.. not other services but each meal... LOL.. That $10 per day would become a real bargain to them ... :)

100% correct Trock

Dan great also

10.00 is nothing compare to the service most of us received.

I think I asked this question before but I cannot find the thread with the answer. Anyway, my man does not want to do the auto tip at all, but I want to. Will me setting that up affect him since we're in the same stateroom???

I think that the wave of the future will be for the mass markets to follow the NCL lead and call them a "service charge". Which makes sense since the tips are not really tips but pay for the crew.

Just my 2¢

Charlie

That's one thing I like/appreciate about NCL - the "service charge" designation that makes it very difficult to lower or remove the amount you are charged. I've seen way too many Carnival cruisers at the pursers desk removing tips just because they "can" and it really troubles me, This would be an excellent way to keep the cost out of the fare, but make sure the staff that works so hard gets the money they are expecting. As with NCL, if there is a problem with service, a paper trail should have to commence from the outset, documenting the problems and whether they were properly dealt with. Only when problems are not dealt with satisfactorily should the passenger have the option of removing a portion of the charge.

Can I add my 2p's worth from across the pond?

In the UK, as a rule we do not tip, with the probable exception of in a restaurant, and here any waiter would be glad of a 7-10% tip.

I have never tipped in a hotel in the UK, not for a room maid, or barman, and before you flame me, this is the norm here. However, when I am in the USA, I do tip accordingly. Although It wasn't until my second visit that I know about tipping room maids.:o

In fact on traditional British cruising (P&O), we in the main only tip the room steward, and waiter, and probably the wine waiter. It would not even occur to me to tip the head-waiter or even a barman (Maybe £5-10 at the end of the cruise, if it was my regular haunt for the fortnight). I was shocked on NCL Gem last year to have 15% added to my 1st beer, and genuinely thought that the barman was taking the P. Ok, now I know, I accept it - just.:D

In defense of some comments from this side of the atlantic, especially if people are on their first cruise, a lot of these customs / practices will be new to them. Yes, we will find a guide to tipping with our tickets and the small print of the brochure, but it would be very easy for someone over here to book a cruise without realsing that at the end of a 2 week cruise, a family of 4 would have spent c. $800-1,000 on tips!

One other point...If I am on a Norwegian ship...in the Mediterranean..having paid for my cruise in the UK...Why am I even paying $$$'s on board, let alone tipping? :rolleyes:

Happy cruising....

Can I add my 2p's worth from across the pond?

In the UK, as a rule we do not tip, with the probable exception of in a restaurant, and here any waiter would be glad of a 7-10% tip.

I have never tipped in a hotel in the UK, not for a room maid, or barman, and before you flame me, this is the norm here. However, when I am in the USA, I do tip accordingly. Although It wasn't until my second visit that I know about tipping room maids.:o

In fact on traditional British cruising (P&O), we in the main only tip the room steward, and waiter, and probably the wine waiter. It would not even occur to me to tip the head-waiter or even a barman (Maybe £5-10 at the end of the cruise, if it was my regular haunt for the fortnight). I was shocked on NCL Gem last year to have 15% added to my 1st beer, and genuinely thought that the barman was taking the P. Ok, now I know, I accept it - just.:D

In defense of some comments from this side of the atlantic, especially if people are on their first cruise, a lot of these customs / practices will be new to them. Yes, we will find a guide to tipping with our tickets and the small print of the brochure, but it would be very easy for someone over here to book a cruise without realsing that at the end of a 2 week cruise, a family of 4 would have spent c. $800-1,000 on tips!

One other point...If I am on a Norwegian ship...in the Mediterranean..having paid for my cruise in the UK...Why am I even paying $$$'s on board, let alone tipping? :rolleyes:

Happy cruising....

Last time, 2006, I checked into a hotel in London, the desk clerk saw me tip the porter for hauling our bags from the taxi. She told me that there was no need to tip him as there is a service charge added to the bill to cover tips. And in many countries, leaving the odd change is considered the thing to do because 15% has already been added to the dinner bill.

In the US, that would be insulting because it would be the entire tip. Signaling that the service was poor. [Or that the servee is cheap!:rolleyes:]

That's why many young, not yet worldly, US servers think all Europeans are cheap. While it is just that they are not used to adding on a tip. Assuming it is in the total just like at home.

Dan

Dan40- Excellent post

How do you figure that?

The dinner is worth $15 tops when averaged out over a weeks menu,its just glorified pre-prepared cafeteria food.

The burger or pizza for lunch, is no different than a fast food place with no tipping and I don't eat breakfast as a rule.

So where's the bargain?:confused: Don't try and tell me that that is fine dining either.Whooping and yelling color wars and table dancing is not fine dining.

Steve

Probably 2 reasons.

1. The first mass market line to do so would see the base price of a cabin go up by $70 per person for a 7 night cruise. Bargain hunters or even just shoppers for a cruise would not necessarily see the reason for the $140 difference in the base price for a couple.
  2. That $140 in the price would then be subject to any taxes imposed on the base price driving the cost even higher.

So, if you like sending the government more tax money, petition for the gratuities to be added to the base price:D

I think that the wave of the future will be for the mass markets to follow the NCL lead and call them a "service charge". Which makes sense since the tips are not really tips but pay for the crew.

Just my 2¢

Charlie

So let me see if I understand.:)

1.They screw the crew because they want to give the illusion of a cheap vacation?

2.Foreign flagged ships are subject to US taxes?:confused:

Steve

How do you figure that?

The dinner is worth $15 tops when averaged out over a weeks menu,its just glorified pre-prepared cafeteria food.

The burger or pizza for lunch, is no different than a fast food place with no tipping and I don't eat breakfast as a rule.

So where's the bargain?:confused: Don't try and tell me that that is fine dining either.Whooping and yelling color wars and table dancing is not fine dining.

Steve

To you can be cafeteria food to some not, to me is not lol

Still the $10.00 per person is very reasonable.

I do tip 15% when I go to Jhonny Rockets or Dennys and is no fine dining.

I do think is a bargain.

Most people here do not have any problems with the $10.00 per day, some do, some get upset about threads on tipping, one member said no one is changing and she/he is correct.

Is really up to the guest , just the majority of us think is reasonableand fair how is now.

I guess this can go on and on.:)

Dan40- Excellent post

Value is subjective.

Actually food costs are under $11 per passenger per day even in today's economy.

My eggs benedicts breakfast with Juice and fruit can cost me in a Restaurant in Miami $15.00 one person

Lunch- $15.00

DInner $30.00

total $60.00

15% $ 9.00

I dont see how is $11.00 per day in food, someone wrotte that.

Someone also called it cafeteria food, is not Ruth Chris but is good.

we still saving at the end guys lol

Is a BARGAIN!!!!!

:)

Value is subjective.

Actually food costs are under $11 per passenger per day even in today's economy.

How do you know that??do they posted, to me seems very little, specially considering that every night they serve Filet mignon, lobster, shrimp. lol

how can it be just 11??

Value is subjective.

If a restaurant on land had a food COST of $11.00pp, the menu price would be about $35.00pp. $22.00 would be the lowest possible, "stay in business, but make no money, price."

Dan

How do you know that??do they posted, to me seems very little, specially considering that every night they serve Filet mignon, lobster, shrimp. lol

how can it be just 11??

I asked.

If you buy in the quantities Carnival does, it isn't hard. Even so, they are always looking around the world for the best deals, even though most food comes from the United States.

If a restaurant on land had a food COST of $11.00pp, the menu price would be about $35.00pp. $22.00 would be the lowest possible, "stay in business, but make no money, price."

Dan

Obviously the labor costs and fixed costs add a significant price to the actual meal cost, but unlike a land restaurant, the ship restaurants don't have to make a profit.

Obviously the labor costs and fixed costs add a significant price to the actual meal cost, but unlike a land restaurant, the ship restaurants don't have to make a profit.

I agree with that and you could say their labor costs are even lower than a land restaurant's. But the way Carnival watches the company profits, I imagine the dining rooms have to operate to budget just like a for profit place. And it would hardly be fair to think tips should be reflective of raw food costs.

Dan

I agree with that and you could say their labor costs are even lower than a land restaurant's. But the way Carnival watches the company profits, I imagine the dining rooms have to operate to budget just like a for profit place. And it would hardly be fair to think tips should be reflective of raw food costs.

Dan

Carnival does watch every penny and I understand they are even considering getting beef from South America to save a few pesos.

Tips shouldn't be based on food costs, especially at Carnival's prices.

I think $10 day is low for the services received and should be considered a minimum if you receive any service at all.

Carnival does watch every penny and I understand they are even considering getting beef from South America to save a few pesos.

Tips shouldn't be based on food costs, especially at Carnival's prices.

I think $10 day is low for the services received and should be considered a minimum if you receive any service at all.

A rare event, you and I in agreement.:eek::cool:

Dan

Archived