$10.00 per person per day, thats all !!!!!!!

Terry305

The number I remember is 92% of those that remove the auto-tip to tip in cash, do not tip at all. Your number 3 of 5 is 60% cheap screws. So I can accept that 60 to 92% of those "CASH TIPPERS," ARE NOT tippers of anybody.

Dan

I'll buy into your 92%... I was surprised that the other 2 percentage points actually followed thru and TIP'd at all.

May take on it is, if you can't afford to TIP, then you can't afford to cruise. I've always found a reason to TIP above the suggested amount... I can't imagine a situation where I would TIP less than the suggested amount.

I'll buy into your 92%... I was surprised that the other 2 percentage points actually followed thru and TIP'd at all.

May take on it is, if you can't afford to TIP, then you can't afford to cruise. I've always found a reason to TIP above the suggested amount... I can't imagine a situation where I would TIP less than the suggested amount.

The sad thing is that I believe that many or most of the "tip removers" could well afford to tip. It is just their nature to take whenever possible.

Charlie

I have a friend who has cruised several times. This last trip she told me her DH removes the auto-tips and tips in person. I tried to explain to her that they were stiffing people by doing this but she just brushed me off and said her DH likes doing it that way. She really didn't seem to care that it affected other people who had provided service to them. So, basically he tipped the waiter and the steward and no one else. I gave up when she basically pled ignorance and that her DH wanted to do it. I think it's an ego and control thing for some people. For others, it's about being cheap, although for what service you get, the auto-tips are low which is why we always hand extra to the waitstaff and steward.

The sad thing is that I believe that many or most of the "tip removers" could well afford to tip. It is just their nature to take whenever possible.

Charlie

I think they removed them to save, not to pay, the person that wants to tip just leaves it the way that is and hands the extra on hand and thats the whole story, the other ones with the silly excuses are just getting a free ride. :) I get so frustated when I read my kids are so neat, I help the steward clean the cabin, maybe we will go to the main dining room 1 night, my steak was hard is the waiters fault, all those pathetic excuses they put to feel good that they made someone work for them for free. They shall stay home, Carnival implemented the automatic tips cause of the big percentage of guest that wont tip only to deal with this other amount of people that shows up to the concierge to removed them. To me they just want a frebbie.

a BIGGG Man interupted me and the purser, to "remove his tips"..he asked how to go about it...Purser told him to wait his turn.. Me, of course, m2cw..asked why R U removing your tips?..BM..I always do..(hummm, he just asked how to do it, and he cruzes allda time, and didnt know how?)...Little lady..(ty BM,) I always tip in CA$H.., of course I told him about the turn-in pool,and that the personnell was q'd as to their service to the BM.... OH'. I tip at least $20 to each one every day, even more..umm humm...I dont like to judge, but...hummmm..

So what were trying to accomplish by grilling this guy?:confused:

Are you trying to determine if he is pond scum? You don't like to judge?

When you spoke to the pursers,did you ask them why they don't pay the crew a salary?Do you ask them how a big corporation like they are can allow the crew to be stiffed?

Why does everyone take it out on the guy who removes the tips and not the actual entity that has the power to prevent this from happening. The solution is with CCL itself and why everyone continues to ignore that is beyond me. It appears they are aware and that is why they instituted auto tipping but since the problem is still there,thay have all the power to fix it.

So next time your on a cruise,your sailing with a company that has little regards for it staff since they allow them to be stiffed so easily when they can put a stop to it in an instant just so they can give the public an illusion they are a great deal.:rolleyes:

That makes everyone an enabler.

Steve

So what were trying to accomplish by grilling this guy?:confused:

Are you trying to determine if he is pond scum? You don't like to judge?

When you spoke to the pursers,did you ask them why they don't pay the crew a salary?Do you ask them how a big corporation like they are can allow the crew to be stiffed?

Why does everyone take it out on the guy who removes the tips and not the actual entity that has the power to prevent this from happening. The solution is with CCL itself and why everyone continues to ignore that is beyond me. It appears they are aware and that is why they instituted auto tipping but since the problem is still there,thay have all the power to fix it.

So next time your on a cruise,your sailing with a company that has little regards for it staff since they allow them to be stiffed so easily when they can put a stop to it in an instant just so they can give the public an illusion they are a great deal.:rolleyes:

That makes everyone an enabler.

Steve

...Steve... Seems you have been enabling for 28 years... LOL;)

Who are they stiffing? Are you refering to the $1 bistro incentive? Exactly what is that? We have never been told what they really do with it.

Steve

Well, the fact they dont' eat every meal in the dining room and do eat in the Lido quite often and don't tip while in there. I do not agree with taking off the auto-tips because you want to "tip them yourself" since you can't possibly tip everyone that is serving you/ cleaning up after you, etc. I really wish they wouldn't make it removeable and just add it as a service charge because you do realize some people remove it and never tip no matter how good of service they receive. I have little use for cheap and greedy people.

ummmmm i agree, who knows , but sounds fishy.

Maybe he is justa another cheapooo!!!

That word has become incredibly irritating to me in almost every post you have written.

I'm 21, going on 22. I am buying a cruise for both my girlfriend and me, and it is not easy to save up that cash to pay for it. I am going to pay the tip because I had a job where I have soley relied on tips alone to make money and I do know very well what it feels like to go above and beyond, and get nothing for it. I still did not judge because I had no idea what their financial standings was like. What I have a problem with is the judgements made about those who do have tips removed. Maybe they are in a similar boat as me and are saving up money to make the trip. If they are paying both sides of the tips, the "minimum" tip of 10 dollars a day adds up to at least $140 for two. For me, 140 dollars is not something easy to come by.

Unless you actually ask those people you consder to be cheap, why they are actually removing their tips, I really do not think it is appropriate to criticize.

I'm not posting this to stir and mix up the pot. I just really have yet to see somebody post whom appears to find tipping not a burden, but still another hill to over come to finish saving for this trip. I am sure others have to save for their trips as well, andare actually in the same position.

I am cruising because I love the entire concept. My financial position or anybody elses should really not be an excuse to prevent somebody from cruising unless they can't cover the actual costs of the trip.

Those are my thoughts...

That word has become incredibly irritating to me in almost every post you have written.

I'm 21, going on 22. I am buying a cruise for both my girlfriend and me, and it is not easy to save up that cash to pay for it. I am going to pay the tip because I had a job where I have soley relied on tips alone to make money and I do know very well what it feels like to go above and beyond, and get nothing for it. I still did not judge because I had no idea what their financial standings was like. What I have a problem with is the judgements made about those who do have tips removed. Maybe they are in a similar boat as me and are saving up money to make the trip. If they are paying both sides of the tips, the "minimum" tip of 10 dollars a day adds up to at least $140 for two. For me, 140 dollars is not something easy to come by.

Unless you actually ask those people you consder to be cheap, why they are actually removing their tips, I really do not think it is appropriate to criticize.

I'm not posting this to stir and mix up the pot. I just really have yet to see somebody post whom appears to find tipping not a burden, but still another hill to over come to finish saving for this trip. I am sure others have to save for their trips as well, andare actually in the same position.

I am cruising because I love the entire concept. My financial position or anybody elses should really not be an excuse to prevent somebody from cruising unless they can't cover the actual costs of the trip.

Those are my thoughts...

Hello Tgreene

You really should not take it so personally.. It's just that in many posts regarding this subject it becomes obvious the main reason some people, not all- remove the auto tips is because they do not want to tip.

People who have cruised many times realize how great the service is and how hard the staff works-witness silly greivances at the pursors desk, or people not showing up the last night at dinner... making mountains out of mole hills to avoid the tip. It is a matter, again for some, of cheapness. If you do not fall into this category it should not bother you.

I also think there is an opinion shared by many- that if one cannot afford the minimal tip -one should not go on the cruise. I have to say i agree with this. I feel one should calculate it into their costs of the cruise. You say you have yet to see someone post that it is not a burden? I dont find it a burden-as I stated -I consider it part of the cost.

Also if $140 is tough to come by, and I completely understand that at 21 it would be-you need to investigate travel insurance. You dont want to be in a situation cashless and g'forbid you need xtra cash.... well you get the point, I am sure.

I would not want to discourage you from cruising, but have you thought about an all inclusive- tips and alcohol all included? This would eleviate the burden you feel due to tipping...

You say you are going on 22- How are you booking a cabin? Minimum age is 25 -You may want to look into that.. unless your gf will be 25 by the time you cruise

...and those are my thoughts as well..

Have a great cruise

Tgreene there are those who feel that if you don't have enough money to leave the suggested tip, you have no business going on a cruise anyways. I am not of that camp. I feel if a person wants to remove all the tips or if they are experiencing a financial hardship, they should remove them forthwith. For a family of five, it is a BIG additional expense to cruising. I am stunned by the number of folks who assert they give their cabin stewards $20.00 upon meeting them to insure they are taken care of. The additional tips seem to flow as the week goes on. So my feeling is that they are already making a small bundle on the folks who do this, so if a lone individual doesn't tip, well they still aren't being stiffed.

Just as an aside, I do tip, but I would not feel the least bit guilty for removing tips for poor service or if I simply could not afford it.

Steveaaaa I know you are often beaten up about your views on tips and even though I frequently don't agree with what you have to say, I do appreciate hearing a different voice and take on the situation. There are always new folks on this site on a daily basis so repeating what you've said previously is not a bad thing.

You say you are going on 22- How are you booking a cabin? Minimum age is 25 -You may want to look into that.. unless your gf will be 25 by the time you cruise

You bring up a very important point regarding minimum age requirements.

from Carnival Frequently Asked questions: spacer.gifHow old do you have to be to travel alone?spacer.gifGuests are required to be 21 years old (on embarkation day) to travel. Guests under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom by a parent or guardian 25 or older. The exceptions Carnival will make to this policy are:

Married minor couple - The booking must be documented that the couple is married. The couple must have proof of marriage at embarkation or they will be denied boarding without the benefit of a refund.

Domestic Partners/Same-Sex Union minor couple - The booking must be documented that the couple are legal Domestic Partners/Same-Sex Union. The couple must have legal proof of partnership/union at embarkation or they will be denied boarding without the benefit of a refund.

Guest ages will be verified at embarkation. Guests not conforming to this policy will be denied boarding and assessed a 100% cancellation penalty. NO exceptions will be made at embarkation.

Those are my thoughts...

Let me start by saying that I do not find tipping, gratuities, or service charge (whatever it is called) a burden nor is it a hill to overcome. It is, to me, a part of the cost, period. If someone is cruising and leaving the minimum for tips, I have no quarrel at all.

But, there are apparently those who feel that the tip is something they should not have to contend with. They understand how the system works and will take advantage of the crew to save some money. The fact is that they remove the tips and either tip less or not at all, and not because of lack of service. Those are the ones that have moved the cruise lines to change from gratuities to a service charge and require the opportunity to rectify any problems before allowing a passenger to reduce the staff's pay at will.

Charlie

Tgreene there are those who feel that if you don't have enough money to leave the suggested tip, you have no business going on a cruise anyways. I am not of that camp. I feel if a person wants to remove all the tips or if they are experiencing a financial hardship, they should remove them forthwith. For a family of five, it is a BIG additional expense to cruising. I am stunned by the number of folks who assert they give their cabin stewards $20.00 upon meeting them to insure they are taken care of. The additional tips seem to flow as the week goes on. So my feeling is that they are already making a small bundle on the folks who do this, so if a lone individual doesn't tip, well they still aren't being stiffed.

Just as an aside, I do tip, but I would not feel the least bit guilty for removing tips for poor service or if I simply could not afford it.

Steveaaaa I know you are often beaten up about your views on tips and even though I frequently don't agree with what you have to say, I do appreciate hearing a different voice and take on the situation. There are always new folks on this site on a daily basis so repeating what you've said previously is not a bad thing.

I just want to make sure I understand your post.. If one party does not tip... (for whatever reason) it's ok because some other party who may tip more makes up for it?:confused: :confused:

Usually one who overtips, does so for the personal service they received.. not to cover John and Jane Doe who don't tip... :confused: :confused:

I just want to make sure I understand your post.. If one party does not tip... (for whatever reason) it's ok because some other party who may tip more makes up for it?:confused: :confused:

Usually one who overtips, does so for the personal service they received.. not to cover John and Jane Doe who don't tip... :confused: :confused:

I read it the same way as you did. I just don't get that logic.

I'm of the camp that if you can't afford the tip, you shouldn't take the cruise. Like you, tipping is just part of the cost. I can't imagine receiving service bad enough to warrant my removing the tip.

Tgreene, you are not one of the cheap people that terry305 is referring to (though I agree with you on her overuse of the word "cheap.") You are planning on the additional $140 for you and your girlfriend - you don't intend to stiff the staff.

I read it the same way as you did. I just don't get that logic.

I'm of the camp that if you can't afford the tip, you shouldn't take the cruise. Like you, tipping is just part of the cost. I can't imagine receiving service bad enough to warrant my removing the tip. me either! Even on my dreaded Victory I didnt remove the tips! LOL

Tgreene, you are not one of the cheap people that terry305 is referring to (though I agree with you on her overuse of the word "cheap.") You are planning on the additional $140 for you and your girlfriend - you don't intend to stiff the staff.

I think Tgreene needs to investigate the threads ... "how much cash you should bring.." ..."just in case cash"...:)

I think Tgreene needs to investigate the threads ... "how much cash you should bring.." ..."just in case cash"...:)

I'll have the costs covered for the cruise with extra to spend on other things. I wasn't taking offense to anybody's post on this thread. I understand there are those whom do wish to escape the payment of tips for the simplicity of making their trip cheaper. I was just more annoyed at how loosely the term Cheapo was being used.

Again, I was not intending to stir up anything, but was just sharing my thoughts. I've cruised before and I remember how well we were all taken care of, I personally have an issue not tipping. I just felt generalizations were being tossed around and all of you whom have defended themselves have clarified so I'm sorry for misinterpreting what you may have said.

Anyway, for all those who are cruising soon, enjoy!! I'm a neutral type of guy while still being incredibly opinionated so this will probably be my last time posting in this specific thread. I will have pleanty of questions more soon enough when January nears. Thanks for all the help CC has already provided me =)

I'll have the costs covered for the cruise with extra to spend on other things. I wasn't taking offense to anybody's post on this thread. I understand there are those whom do wish to escape the payment of tips for the simplicity of making their trip cheaper. I was just more annoyed at how loosely the term Cheapo was being used.

Again, I was not intending to stir up anything, but was just sharing my thoughts. I've cruised before and I remember how well we were all taken care of, I personally have an issue not tipping. I just felt generalizations were being tossed around and all of you whom have defended themselves have clarified so I'm sorry for misinterpreting what you may have said.

Anyway, for all those who are cruising soon, enjoy!! I'm a neutral type of guy while still being incredibly opinionated so this will probably be my last time posting in this specific thread. I will have pleanty of questions more soon enough when January nears. Thanks for all the help CC has already provided me =)

Well then have a great cruise!

I would still be curious to learn how you booked, at under 25 yrs old.. that question comes up alot on this board...

The only thing I was asked when booking the trip was if I was 21 years of age or not. I am, and at the time of my trip I will be 22. There was no issue that came up needing to be under the age of 25. Ventureman 2000 also quoted from the FAQ about the age requirements so I'm hoping no issues will arise at the time of the cruise. We are also traveling with my girlfriends sister and boyfriend both whom are 25 and 26. But even so, I don't think there is a problem with our age of only 22.

The only thing I was asked when booking the trip was if I was 21 years of age or not. I am, and at the time of my trip I will be 22. There was no issue that came up needing to be under the age of 25. Ventureman 2000 also quoted from the FAQ about the age requirements so I'm hoping no issues will arise at the time of the cruise. We are also traveling with my girlfriends sister and boyfriend both whom are 25 and 26. But even so, I don't think there is a problem with our age of only 22.

Yes.. I know but it sounds like you do not meet those requirements, it would concern me if I were you.. I would double check... I mean, you dont want to get there only to be denied boarding...Unless they have one of each couple in a cabin.. that way there would be no questions.. dont be surprised if you get to the pier and the guys are in one cabin and the girls are in the other...

If you cruise come back and let us know how it was.. and if there were any issues due to your age.. Again, Enjoy

Yes.. I know but it sounds like you do not meet those requirements, it would concern me if I were you.. I would double check... I mean, you dont want to get there only to be denied boarding...Unless they have one of each couple in a cabin.. that way there would be no questions.. dont be surprised if you get to the pier and the guys are in one cabin and the girls are in the other...

If you cruise come back and let us know how it was.. and if there were any issues due to your age.. Again, Enjoy

I will definetly let you know how the cruise will be. I am a bit confused as to which requirement I do not fulfill, please expand so I can contact my TA. Thanks

I will definetly let you know how the cruise will be. I am a bit confused as to which requirement I do not fulfill, please expand so I can contact my TA. Thanks

You are not married and I assume you are a male and not gay because you have a girlfriend.

but you are traveling with another couple over 25 so its no longer a problem... if they do have the guys in one and the girls in another you can correct that either at the pier or at the pursors desk..;)

From Venture's post.. and FAQ~

Guests under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom by a parent or guardian 25 or older. The exceptions Carnival will make to this policy are:

The exceptions Carnival will make to this policy are:

Married minor couple - The booking must be documented that the couple is married. The couple must have proof of marriage at embarkation or they will be denied boarding without the benefit of a refund.

Domestic Partners/Same-Sex Union minor couple - The booking must be documented that the couple are legal Domestic Partners/Same-Sex Union. The couple must have legal proof of partnership/union at embarkation or they will be denied boarding without the benefit of a refund.

Guest ages will be verified at embarkation. Guests not conforming to this policy will be denied boarding and assessed a 100% cancellation penalty. NO exceptions will be made at embarkation.

You are not married and I assume you are a male and not gay because you have a girlfriend.

but you are traveling with another couple over 25 so its no longer a problem... if they do have the guys in one and the girls in another you can correct that either at the pier or at the pursors desk..;)

From Venture's post.. and FAQ~

Guests under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom by a parent or guardian 25 or older. The exceptions Carnival will make to this policy are:

The exceptions Carnival will make to this policy are:

If the rooms do end up being booked like that we will try to take care of it onboard. I guess what I'm still lost on if I do plan on cruising again before 25... Carnivals website states if you are UNDER the age of 21, not 21 and under. As long as you are 21 on the day of embarkment it appears you are okay. Anyways, I will make sure to get on touch with my TA anyways just to make sure no issues will arise.

I would also like to thank you for looking out for somebody you don't even know. This is the reason why i enjoy this community so much.

Those are my thoughts...

T greene is not my intention to irritate you, my daughter is almost your age and I do know the money is not the same at your age than at mine, dont get me wrong I do understand that putting together the money for a vacation is not easy for all and is very nice that you are inviting your gf, you said that you are paying the tips because you work in a line of work with tips, is true that at the end of the day everyone will tip what they feel like it, I just think that is a person goes in a cruise they have to be ready for the expenses they may have and tipping is one of them, thats just my humble opinion and I dont mean to offend anyone, My life situation has changed so I do know and understand things are not easy for all, I lost my job in a Contruction office last year due to the bad economy and I don't have the best job at this time so I do know, money is an issue to many including me but it will never crossed my mind not to tip , if I need to do something like that to save I stay home. This thread is not to offend anyone , we are talking about some that choose not to tip to save money.

Thanks

Terry

Archived