$10.00 per person per day, thats all !!!!!!!

Terry305

Okay Guys

Not all ( thank God) but few dont get the $10.00 per day per person thing, is not complicated, is very easy, why we see all the time educated people looking for silly excuses and pretending not to understand a very simple thing to do once you go in a Cruise???

Please people this people work hard, is not to be debated over and over, if someone cannot afford that on a cruise perhaps they shall plan another type of vacation seriously.

Okay Guys

Not all ( thank God) but few dont get the $10.00 per day per person thing, is not complicated, is very easy, why we see all the time educated people looking for silly excuses and pretending not to understand a very simple thing to do once you go in a Cruise???

Please people this people work hard, is not to be debated over and over, if someone cannot afford that on a cruise perhaps they shall plan another type of vacation seriously.

Why start another thread on this?....there is one already brewing.

Okay Guys

Terry, often, in the past, I have said that ALL questions about tipping were really asking, "How can I get out of tipping with nobody finding out?" So you wonder how can so many be confused about such a simple thing? Maybe they are not confused about how, but HOW not to.

Dan

Please don't forget that Camp Carnival or any other Kid Activity Program on the cruise ships are not included in the gratuities. Parents entrust them with their kids from 9am to 10pm and then forget to include them when they are passing out their envelopes! $5 per day per kid on a cruise = 50 cents per hour :eek:

Okay Guys

If its so simple,so easy,that they even have auto-tipping,why not just include it in the fare?

If everyone is so educated,then why auto-tipping?Are people not educated enough to figure it out for themselves?

All tipping should be in cash so there is no fee taken out from any source.

Steve

If its so simple,so easy,that they even have auto-tipping,why not just include it in the fare?

If everyone is so educated,then why auto-tipping?Are people not educated enough to figure it out for themselves?

All tipping should be in cash so there is no fee taken out from any source.

Steve

I'm guessing for accounting purposes. The jobs are tip heavy in compensation and my guess is for legal reasons they have to separate out the tips from the fare. This also allows them to say for x position, x is the expected salary including tips. We treat it like it is part of the fare and I never understood all the whining about it from people who think children should pay less (why,they use towels, sheets, eat, etc), or that just because they eat in the buffet, they should pay less, or my favorite, that they're neater than other cruisers and pick up after themselves so it's "less work" for their steward. And you can pay your tips in cash. Just go to the pursers desk and pay cash on your S&S. Also, there are people working in the lido and under the stewards who you will never get a chance to tip because you might not actually see them do their job, but they are paid out of the auto - tips.

I won't dip into the rampant speculation of personal motives on this subject. For those guests not familiar with the "tipping culture" in the U.S. , a 15% tip for good food/beverage service is customary, and is the amount any good server will be expecting. The daily food service tip is $5.50 per person which (if converted to the meal equivalent) is the same as paying a 15% service charge on a $36.67 daily food bill. (breakfast + lunch + dinner + between meal cafeteria visits).

Here's Carnival's statement on the subject:

------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Gratuities_Tips.aspx

What is the tipping policy onboard?spacer.gif

Service Gratuities

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $10.00 per guest, per day (our recommended guideline) as follows:

$ 3.50 Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.50 Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 1.00 Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to other kitchen and hotel service staff

For Cruises-To-Nowhere, gratuities of $10 per guest, per day must be prepaid.

Our Staff is totally committed to exceed your expectations in every way possible. If you are not satisfied with the service you receive, we encourage you to contact the Purser’s Information desk while onboard. This will allow us to address your concerns in a timely and appropriate fashion. At your discretion, you may adjust the gratuities at any time.

For beverage purchases, fifteen percent of the bill is automatically added to the Sail & Sign charge. Room Service staff may be tipped as service is rendered. Tipping your Maître d’ is at your discretion, based upon the service you receive.

Snorkel2much, that's all well and good (and informative), but the vast majority of those that try to figure out how not to tip are US citizens and that's who the op is addressing. Those that aren't familiar tend to ask advice, not how to get out of paying it.

Steve

Probably 2 reasons.

1. The first mass market line to do so would see the base price of a cabin go up by $70 per person for a 7 night cruise. Bargain hunters or even just shoppers for a cruise would not necessarily see the reason for the $140 difference in the base price for a couple.

2. That $140 in the price would then be subject to any taxes imposed on the base price driving the cost even higher.

So, if you like sending the government more tax money, petition for the gratuities to be added to the base price:D

I think that the wave of the future will be for the mass markets to follow the NCL lead and call them a "service charge". Which makes sense since the tips are not really tips but pay for the crew.

Just my 2¢

Charlie

Snorkel2much, that's all well and good (and informative), but the vast majority of those that try to figure out how not to tip are US citizens and that's who the op is addressing. Those that aren't familiar tend to ask advice, not how to get out of paying it.

True, but I think the threads become contentious only when people begin getting obnoxious and lecturing the OPs, which is counterproductive. If the OP's rationale is misguided ("I only eat in the buffet", "I'm neat," etc.) the responders should simply correct their thinking in a polite way, and encourage them to tip according to how things are set up. If someone's determined to be cheap, no sense lecturing them anyway, and if they're leaning towards cheap but on the fence, you only risk alienating them.

It would make things easier if they just called it a service charge and made it unadjustable, but I suppose they want to have some way of identifying when staff might be providing less than satisfactory service. Anyone who adjusts their tips downward should be asked to fill out a brief service form indicating which tips they want to reduce, and why.

Back when the tips were paid by envelope I would round up,

$5.50per day for 7 days=$38.50 The envelope would have 2 $20's.

Ever since the tip was added to the S&S bill I just walk off the ship.

I wonder what the crew's opinion is and which way they would handle it.

True, but I think the threads become contentious only when people begin getting obnoxious and lecturing the OPs, which is counterproductive. If the OP's rationale is misguided ("I only eat in the buffet", "I'm neat," etc.) the responders should simply correct their thinking in a polite way, and encourage them to tip according to how things are set up. If someone's determined to be cheap, no sense lecturing them anyway,

Correct! Don't know who said it but I love the quote, "Never try to teach a pig to whistle. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

and if they're leaning towards cheap but on the fence, you only risk alienating them.

It would make things easier if they just called it a service charge and made it unadjustable, but I suppose they want to have some way of identifying when staff might be providing less than satisfactory service.

The NCL system is adjustable only after you have expressed the reason and given them a chance to correct the situation. So far it has seemed to work for them.

Anyone who adjusts their tips downward should be asked to fill out a brief service form indicating which tips they want to reduce, and why.

Charlie

I won't dip into the rampant speculation of personal motives on this subject. ....

:confused:

Why are you so obsessed with this that you had to start another thread? Tipping is a personal matter, and people are going to be as generous or as cheap as they want - no amount of chatting on a message board is going to change that person's mind.

Why are you telling me that I am obsessed?

There is a new thread in this forum about a simple issue almost daily.

Do you tell the other membes that are obsessed??

Yes is a personnal matter but some compalint and put all kind of excuses to follow a guideline on a cruise as simple as the fuel charge, if you want to cruise you have no choice but to pay the fuel charge, tipping shall be the same way, is part of a vacation.

Is very simple, if a person cannot afford the tips maybe they shall stay home.

Please don't forget that Camp Carnival or any other Kid Activity Program on the cruise ships are not included in the gratuities. Parents entrust them with their kids from 9am to 10pm and then forget to include them when they are passing out their envelopes! $5 per day per kid on a cruise = 50 cents per hour :eek:

I totally agree, the other day I got upset when someone here said that her plan was to deduct her tips in her coming cruise that her kids hardly eat in the restaurants so therefore her tips were going to the camp personnel, this is simply people trying to save a buck, they shall tip the dining personnel and the camp is they are leaving the littles ones on it, is common sense.

Terry, often, in the past, I have said that ALL questions about tipping were really asking, "How can I get out of tipping with nobody finding out?" So you wonder how can so many be confused about such a simple thing? Maybe they are not confused about how, but HOW not to.

Dan

Yes Dan maybe is that is not how, is how not to.

pathetic lol

Why are you telling me that I am obsessed?

There is a new thread in this forum about a simple issue almost daily.

Do you tell the other membes that are obsessed??

Yes is a personnal matter but some compalint and put all kind of excuses to follow a guideline on a cruise as simple as the fuel charge, if you want to cruise you have no choice but to pay the fuel charge, tipping shall be the same way, is part of a vacation.

Is very simple, if a person cannot afford the tips maybe they shall stay home.

I agree with you that if you can't afford the tips, you shouldn't cruise.

You started a very similar thread the other day. Why is it necessary to start another? Usually, the other tipping threads are started by different members.

I agree with you that if you can't afford the tips, you shouldn't cruise.

You started a very similar thread the other day. Why is it necessary to start another? Usually, the other tipping threads are started by different members.

With all respect I have the right like any member of this forum to start a thread, if you are not interested just don't read it. What are you a cop???

With all respect I have the right like any member of this forum to start a thread, if you are not interested just don't read it. What are you a cop???

With all respect to you, in many online forums it is considered disrespectful to the other forum members for someone to repeatedly create threads on the same topic. :)

Of course you do. You already started one though. Like snorkel said, it's bad forum manners for the same poster to repeatedly start a thread of the same topic (in less than a week's time).

Archived