GCT Docs

7SeasLover

We haven't gotten any cruise ship docs for a couple of years now since they have all gone to the "E" docs. So, I thought it was fun to get some again for a change! Anxiously awaiting some new ones for my Christmas Markets trip!

I thought it was pretty neat to have it all in a book, so no single papers could get misplaced. Everything that you need is right there neatly in that book. Other cruise lines put theirs in books, too. I know Holland America has sent their's in a booklet and the RCCL that I went on this year came in a booklet. This was a first for me with GCT. Other years, it was in a vinyl or cloth document holder that you hang around your neck. But then some of the big ocean lines did that, too, in years past. Their book this year was kind of big and cumbersome though. Would be better if they made it smaller. I still use the things that hang around the neck to carry some money and boarding passes, passport, etc. That big book had to be in the carry-on. However, I printed off the airline stuff and put that paper in the little thing hanging around my neck so I wouldn't have to dig out that big booklet.

GCT sends out big booklets? I didn't expect that. I figured docs in a plastic pouch or something. I prefer e-docs.

Did they have any excursion info in the GCT docs?

I remember Globus used to give travel bags. They were nice bags!

Ginny, I received a travel bag with my first trip with GCT. The next one, they gave me one of those security things that you wear under your clothing to hide your money in. The next time I got a cosmetic bag that hangs on the bathroom door. The last two cruises I got jackets from them. Can't say what you'll get, but probably something. Things change every year and they do have new ownership this year. Guess you'll just have to wait and see next year when you go on your trip.

Carhut - did you say that GCT has new ownership????? There are two Lewis brothers, one owns GCT and the other owns Vantage. I do know that Vantage has sold one or two of their river boats. Both could save a lot of money on printing costs if they would stop sending brochures out every week. Curious about GCT. Willard

They send HUGE books! And very nice books too. They use heavy stock. I guess they're making big bux!

I just want to have a nice, relaxing, enjoyable time. I'm really looking forward to a riverboat, though I will miss the 24-hour food!

Carhut - did you say that GCT has new ownership????? There are two Lewis brothers, one owns GCT and the other owns Vantage. I do know that Vantage has sold one or two of their river boats. Both could save a lot of money on printing costs if they would stop sending brochures out every week. Curious about GCT. Willard

CARHUT : Perhaps you read this Article about an impending change of ownership from the Lewis' to a Private Equity Firm :

http://www.modernagent.com/Resources/Editorial.aspx?n=33697

However, this later published article would indicate the sale did not go through:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/cruiseline.cfm?CruiseLineID=100

Perhaps someone knows the most current status, but we have traveled with GCT both before and after this announced change and never gotten any written confirmation from them.

I don't know for sure. I do remember reading a while back about the proposed sale to some corp. but as DLHmlton says below that he thinks that it didn't go through.

• 1 month later...
I Agree With You. I Will Check Out Grand Circle. With The Economy The Way It Is I Think Late Bookings Are The Way To Go And I Am Sure There Are Some Good Deals At The Last Moment.:)

Yes, Grand Circle does have some great deals!

We just today signed up for a 16 day Romance of the Rhine and Mosel cruise in two weeks - where we saved over $2400 per couple. We are driving to Newark, and our trip from there, including air came to about $100/day /person - before fees and taxes. They also have a great deal on other trips if you can go SOON! Check their website under Last Minute Travel Deals.

Car-Stan (Stan)

Archived