First Maui whale sighting

Maui_Wahine

We are scheduled to be in Maui Nov 27 & 28 and were hoping to see some whales. All of the on-line sites say Dec - March. Will I be able to reserve with someone early since they are starting to be sighted?

Maui Wahine .....

should have checked the first page before I posted on the 5th page! Do you know if the PWF is still selling tours? I'm having a little trouble with their website so I called and a lady told me that they have discontinued the tours. Have you read anything about this? Do you know of another 'company' that has excursions? My husband is really sold on whalewatching. We live on the east coast in Virginia and he can't talk me into going on a whalewatch. Too cold!

Thanks for any comments!

We have a whale watch tour booked with the Pacific Whale Foundation on December 3rd. Just double checked website and it seems to be working right now. Try this link....

[url="http://www.pacificwhale.org/adventures/whalewatch.html"]http://www.pacificwhale.org/adventures/whalewatch.html[/url]

[quote name='va4lovers']
should have checked the first page before I posted on the 5th page! Do you know if the PWF is still selling tours? I'm having a little trouble with their website so I called and a lady told me that they have discontinued the tours. Have you read anything about this? Do you know of another 'company' that has excursions? My husband is really sold on whalewatching. We live on the east coast in Virginia and he can't talk me into going on a whalewatch. Too cold![/QUOTE]
Too cold? Here? Shouldn't be, especially for mainlanders coming from winter weather.

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, but this work stuff sure gets in the way.

As other posters have noted, Pacific Whale Foundation is still in business. The news about the first sighting came from PWF. They act as a clearing house for humpback sightings.

While going out on a whalewatching cruise is fine, you can still see them from the land. McGregor Point is a prime vantage point, and PWF usually has a table set up to dispense information (and solicit donations). Bring binoculars if you have room.

Enjoy your visit.

[quote name='va4lovers']
should have checked the first page before I posted on the 5th page! Do you know if the PWF is still selling tours? I'm having a little trouble with their website so I called and a lady told me that they have discontinued the tours. Have you read anything about this? Do you know of another 'company' that has excursions? My husband is really sold on whalewatching. We live on the east coast in Virginia and he can't talk me into going on a whalewatch. Too cold![/QUOTE]
Too cold? Here? Shouldn't be, especially for mainlanders coming from winter weather.

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, but this work stuff sure gets in the way. As other posters have noted, Pacific Whale Foundation is still in business. The news about the first sighting came from PWF. They act as a clearing house for humpback sightings.

While going out on a whalewatching cruise is fine, you can also see them from the land. McGregor Point is a prime vantage point, and PWF usually has a table set up to dispense information (and solicit donations). Bring binoculars if you have room.

Enjoy your visit.

Just to clarify that "too cold", I meant in the Atlantic at this time of year when the whales are migrating south and then springtime when they head north again.
My goodness, no, I know it isn't too cold there! [b]Thanks so much for your[/b] [b]response.[/b]

My confusion came from the phone call there and being told they weren't doing the tours anymore. (Maybe she was having a bad day!)

We have made on-line reservations and have gotten a confirmation. :)
Can't wait.

Maui_Wahine, thank you so much for posting that the first ones have been sighted! I am so looking forward to actually seeing them! We will be in Maui on December 3rd, and from what you say, we should actually see them this time!!! Yahoo!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Hello! I am thinking about doing the 11/27 "welcoming" whale watching. With any luck we will see some whales. We will be on the POA. How do you get from the ship to the whale watching? Are there cabs available or are we better off renting a van that day? There are 10 of us.
Thanks!
Kathy

Archived