Eurodam cabin size

DougC43

We have a bit of a beef with HAL ... we just finished our first cruise with them (Copenhagen to NYC) and had as is our custom an inside cabin. I checked the HAL website ahead of time and learned that the size range for insides on the Eurodam is supposed to be 170-200 sq.ft., which sounded fine ... yes, the fine print says there may be exceptions, but ...

Our cabin (I checked afterwards with HAL to make sure) was 141 sq.ft. Previously with Celebrity and Princess we'd had 171 and 160 respectively, and those were both fine, but 141 just didn't work for us, and as we knew it was a full ship, we didn't even try for a change (why should someone else be stuck with it?). Apart from this, the cruise was good.

A conversation today with a HAL rep. revealed that cabin categories L, M, MM, N and NN on the Eurodam ALL include 141-square-foot cabins -- a far cry from 170-200, and clearly not just one or two exceptions, but a lot of them. I suggested to her that this in a way could be seen as false advertising, and she didn't contradict me.

This was only our third cruise: is this kind of thing unusual, or a frequent experience?

Comments appreciated.

I didn't measure it myself ... 141 is HAL's measurement, so I would assume it's measured on the same basis as any other cabin.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

When you measured your cabin -- did you include the bathroom??

Measurements include the bathroom -- not just the sleeping area -- also includes the closets.

Frequent posters who are long-time HAL passengers have been lamenting the size of the inside cabins on the Vistas/E-dam since the first Vista came out.

Think of them as cabinettes. :rolleyes: There isn't room to change your mind.

fyi: the J-category cabins on Main Deck are huge. If you can snag one of those you will be happy with the size. I understand the K-category on Main, aft of the atrium, are also large.

I didn't measure it myself ... 141 is HAL's measurement, so I would assume it's measured on the same basis as any other cabin.

According to Holland America Line's web site, the interior stateroom square footage range is from 170-200 sq. ft. Where is the 141 coming from?

141 is coming from two different HAL phone representatives I spoke with on two separate days. Anyone not inclined to believe me is welcome phone HAL himself or herself.

My whole point (well, half of it) is that the web site is seriously inaccurate on that matter.

According to Holland America Line's web site, the interior stateroom square footage range is from 170-200 sq. ft. Where is the 141 coming from?

DougC43, you will be interested to know that I sent an email inquiry into HAL 24 hours prior to my phone call. I received an email response today, which is contradictory to the phone call and not in agreement with your experience. My email requested verification that all cat L verandah, K main, and K upper verandah were within 170-200 sq ft and not 141 as being reported on message boards. That HAL email states:

"Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line regarding the size of the inside staterooms on the Eurodam.

You are correct that the size of staterooms will vary between 170 and 200 sq. ft. The size of the cabin will depend on the location regardless of the category. I would recommend that at the time of booking your cruise to take a stateroom assignment, not a guarantee, and ask the Holland America Line reservations agent the size of the stateroom you are considering. If you book through a travel agent, the agent can also check on the size for you.

If you have any additional questions please feel free to contact us. Holland America Line is confident our "Signature of Excellence" will surpass your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you onboard in the near future."

I appreciate the sound information provided by you and others on the board; maybe HAL will catch up soon.

That is interesting. Your email apparently didn't ask about M, MM, N or NN cabins, and my direct experience is only with NN, but their email does seem to contradict the information they give by phone.

DougC43, you will be interested to know that I sent an email inquiry into HAL 24 hours prior to my phone call. I received an email response today, which is contradictory to the phone call and not in agreement with your experience. My email requested verification that all cat L verandah, K main, and K upper verandah were within 170-200 sq ft and not 141 as being reported on message boards. That HAL email states:

"Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line regarding the size of the inside staterooms on the Eurodam.

You are correct that the size of staterooms will vary between 170 and 200 sq. ft. The size of the cabin will depend on the location regardless of the category. I would recommend that at the time of booking your cruise to take a stateroom assignment, not a guarantee, and ask the Holland America Line reservations agent the size of the stateroom you are considering. If you book through a travel agent, the agent can also check on the size for you.

If you have any additional questions please feel free to contact us. Holland America Line is confident our "Signature of Excellence" will surpass your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you onboard in the near future."

I appreciate the sound information provided by you and others on the board; maybe HAL will catch up soon.

Archived