Wine in Papeete

Katiekakes

Is there a place that anyone knows where you can purchase wine where the Tahitian Princess docks in Papeete? Can you buy it at the big shopping area, the Marche? Is it any cheaper buying it there, or should we just buy a couple bottles on ship? I keep reading how expensive everything is so I am thinking maybe it is not a deal to buy it before boarding.

There are a couple of grocery stores within walking distance from the ship and they carry wine. I don't remember seeing anything being offered at Le Marche - those are more locally produced items, but I could be wrong.

In reality, nothing is cheap in Tahiti and you will proably get a better deal onthe ship, especially if you prefer California wines. You can also take a couple of bottles of wine in your checked luggage. Princess allows one per person, but doesn't give you grief if you bring more

There is a very good wine shop across from the Government House grounds in Papeete, directly up three blocks from the port, catty-corner to the small Meridan boutique hotel. Nice French whites and reds. There are several other places to buy wine in port - ask for direction at the information office at the port, very helpful and pleasant folks there. Le Marche has no wine period and is a filthy pit.

There are several large discount French hypermarkets in Papeete that you can buy wine at (Carrfours is one) that are walkable from the pier. However, with the oppressive heat and humidity I do not recommend this idea. You can also buy wine in Moorea at a big market near the ferry port (but not where the Princess tenders - nothing near there except good French bread).

As a wine drinker, I thought the selection and prices on board were fine. The ship ran out of several choices and it is apparently difficult to replenish wine in Polynesia due to the erratic nature of government regs and, as I was told by someone with direct knowledge, due to the hostile attitude local authorities have to the cruise ships. I know that is backwards since we cruisers spend a lot in port. But there is a strong undercurrent rallying against "day trippers" and a bias toward longer stays for tourists at island hotels.

My vote would be not to stress yourself and just order what you want on board. Plenty of good choices at very reasonable prices.

A few years ago friends found wine at a store in Papeete. They bought a couple of bottles and brought one to a cocktail party at our cabin. OMG, not sure what had happened to that wine, but it ended up in the sink. These friends were big wine drinkers and they actually gagged when they tried it.

I would recommend purchasing your wine onboard the ship. What they had purchased was quite expensive and it was horrible.

We do enjoy our wine and haven't had a lot of problems finindg something both palatable and reasonably priced on the ship. We will take our own champagne (being balloonists has corrupted us), but will just get wine on the ship and save the weight.

Still, do go and check out the local grocery stores - they are really interesting. It's one of the things we try to do no matter where we sail.

Last time, my DH found two bottles of Creme de Grand Mariner (sp?) - he'd been trying to get it for years and they just happened to have two bottles in a small grocery store in Fare, Huahine. Go figure! And a Duncan Hines Passionfruit cake mix - it was very yummy! My culinary professor told me that you can best learn about people by looking at the food they eat. So check the local stores out, you'll never know what treasures you might find.

We have an eight night land trip, prior to our PG cruise. Does it make sense to buy wine/liquor from duty free while in transit from the US? Has anyone tried this? Obviously we only need a couple bottles since our cruise is all inclusive of beverages.

Cheers, Pam

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Cruising April 2014. Staying in Papeete for 2 nights prior to sailing. Cruising Oceania.

Is it advisable to purchase a few bottles before embarkation for use in our cabin? Would be nice on our veranda.

There is a high-end wine shop upstairs in the shopping center (Vaima?) across the street from the port. We happened to find the wine we had enjoyed in the French restaurant at Le Meriden the night before so we picked up two bottles. Even with the corkage it was a better deal than the same quality wine would have been on the ship. They had a good champagne selection too.

One of the cheapest places within walking distance of the cruise docks will be the large Market at the corner of Rue du Lieutenant Varney & Avenue du Commandant Destemau. This is about a 3/4 mile walk from the ships back toward the airport.

Edited by Tikiintahiti

There is a high-end wine shop upstairs in the shopping center (Vaima?) across the street from the port. We happened to find the wine we had enjoyed in the French restaurant at Le Meriden the night before so we picked up two bottles. Even with the corkage it was a better deal than the same quality wine would have been on the ship. They had a good champagne selection too.

Thanks for this valuable information. I'd sure like to know the name of the wine and how much it cost. Did you bring these two bottles on board in addition to two you brought on at check in?

Thanks for this valuable information. I'd sure like to know the name of the wine and how much it cost. Did you bring these two bottles on board in addition to two you brought on at check in?

It was a Les Granges de Rothschild- 2008, I think. We actually carried on 4 expecting to pay corkage on two at embarkation, but they must not be doing that program yet. We popped back off for some souvenirs and flowers for the cabin and made sure we could bring back wine; they said sure, one per person!