South America Cruise

CruisinJohn14

I have been looking into a South American cruise and I have a few questions since I have never been to South America before. I been looking at a 2 week cruise going around Cape Horn. I am trying to do as much as possiable while I am there. I was wondering what are the must see places in South America? What are the best ports of call? Also is there any cruise line or itenerary that does Anartica too? I highly doubt there is but i just thought I would ask to because a few members in the group would love to go to Antartica.

I've never been there but I am booked on the Sun 2/15 to 3/1 and plan to do the Antarctic excursion.

A while back they were running a 50% off 2nd person special. Wonder if it is still available (I did not get this booked before).

Good Luck.

I believe Princes Cruises does a 16-day Antarctica & South America cruise. Holland America also does a S.A. trip that includes a ‘scenic cruise’ along the Antarctic Peninsula.

I went on a 18-day NCL Repositioning cruise from Santiago to Buenos Aires last year and I must say, I found it to be very exciting and would do it again. NCL did not offer any excursions to Antarctica although regular scheduled NCL cruises offer a Antarctica 'fly over’ which is quite costly.

We did the Buenos Aires to Santiago and Santiago/Panama Canal to Miami just on the Norwegian Crown in 2007. Try to go down early and take the trip to Iguazu Falls. That was the most amazing 2 days I've ever experienced. Yes it's expensive but you'll never forget it. Try to take one of the penguin tours. We did the one on Falkland Islands (never sure you'll get ashore there because of the weather) but we also went to Punta Tombo where there is the largest penguin colony in the world. Loved just walking around Ushiaia (end of the world) and don't miss the chocolate shop on the main street in Ushuaia, so many choices! People who booked the Antartic excursion had it cancelled because of bad weather - seems it happens a lot. I thought cruising the fjords was better than Alaska. My favourite cruise ever!

bjay3 -

Thanks for the info. Am really bummed about Antarctica. They substitute another ecursion that costs about $900 for Antartica (which costs $2,500) that is not one I am thrilled with. Guess I will have to wait and see.

If you have your heart set on experiencing Antarctica, you may want to consider an Antarctic expedition cruise, that actually lets you land there in zodiacs, go kayaking, etc. Lindblad Expeditions has some great trips on the National Geographic Ships. I saw the N. G. Endeavour in Ushuaia, Argentinia last year – very nice ship.

We did the Celebrity version around the Horn which was an incredible experience -- each port offering so many exotic sites. My favourite was the Falklands -- a childhood dream to visit this desolated British outpost.

We did Peru and Argentina on our own. Peru and it's Machu Picchu are must sees as are the Iquazu Falls best seen from both Argentina and Brazil. It was far more economical to do these on our own than as ship tour options. We're seniors and feared this might be our only trip to South America so wanted to touch all the highlights.

Archived