Need help with formal attire

We are heading off to our first Med cruise the end of the month and I was wondering if long dresses are still the norm for formal night. We haven't cruised in 5 years so I am out of the loop. Trying to recycle some of the old dresses, but don't want to stand out as someone who isn't in the know. NO ONE knows better then cruise critic so I am counting on you all. Thanks in advance.

Much depends on what line you are cruising. On HAL or Costa you will likely see a lot of long dresses. On most other lines things have become less dressy (sadly, but that's a different topic!). You will see people in cocktail dresses or dressy pantsuits more so than long dresses.

Much depends on what line you are cruising. On HAL or Costa you will likely see a lot of long dresses. On most other lines things have become less dressy (sadly, but that's a different topic!). You will see people in cocktail dresses or dressy pantsuits more so than long dresses.

I agree. We've done both Celebrity and RCL in Europe and formal night wasn't terribly formal. On Celebrity, some cocktail dresses, some pants with a dressy top or just a regular dress. On RCL, not even as dressy as that.

TBH, I don't mind it one bit. I don't have to drag around that extra 30 lbs of luggage...........

We saw just about everything on formal nights on our Med cruise on Royal Caribbean.

Long dresses, short dresses, dressy pants........but most were pretty dressy.

I would wear what you feel good in.....and just keep it dressy.

I have seen some pants outfits that were alot more formal than some of the cocktail dresses.

I too recycled some of my longer dresses ( I chopped em off) to a mid calf length and bought some sexy strappy new shoes to match since they really showed then :D

We enjoy the tux and formals and find it sad that so many choose not to dress up for these two nights.....( see Cruisermom we do agree on some things !!! ) As for extra 30 lbs ????? I know I don't own 2 dresses that weight that much :eek:

I agree with th the other 2 posters re long dresses and we cruise Silverseas(which used to be waaay formal) and even then short dresses or pants are the norm now.I think it all goes to the weight of the luggage imposed now for all who travel. I realize it will not matter to some,but most yes.If your long dresses are not fancy,beaded etc.,but more casual ,if you get my drift, you will be fine.Even the men are otpign for dark suits rather than pack a tux.

We will be spending 8 night on land and 12 nights on ship with only 2 days "at sea" which will be the "formal nights." As a guy, I'm really trying to convince my bride of 40 years to pack far less. Just read about getting around in Venice and add to that 50 pound weight limits on suitcases! People who come from major urban centers and love to get dressed up for dinner should select Caribbean cruises out of southern Florida (JMHO). Most Mediterranean itineraries are port intensive and people return tired and want it comfortable with rest to prepare for the next day. August 07 I packed both suit and sport coat for an Alaska cruise out of Seattle and was sorry that I packed the suit. My intention is, with anytime dinning, to wear dark grey slacks, shirt & time, and black blazer and sit at a table for 2! A black blazer is one of those pieces of men's clothing that can be dressed up and dressed down and you could wear on the plane when returning at the end of your trip. I mean, don't you expect to buy stuff? Even guys buy t-shirts on these trips (and wear them when the need arises)! We are pleased that we will have apartments with washing machines and will cruise on a new ship with laundry rooms on most passenger decks. As for my wife, I will be most happy having her with me at dinner and won't care what she selects to wear as long as it fits in one rolling case and less than 50 pounds!

Good luck all,

David

I leave this fri. for our Med. cruise on RCL! I purchased 2 long formals and some other dressy dresses and now ya tell me I will be one of the few? Oh well...I love cruising because its so fun to get dressed up but we have never cruised the Med. before - just Caribbean and Tahiti where most did dress up. Should be interesting...I hope I don't feel out of place! I actually assumed most would be more dressed up on this cruise - should have asked CCritic first I guess!

I leave this fri. for our Med. cruise on RCL! I purchased 2 long formals and some other dressy dresses and now ya tell me I will be one of the few? Oh well...I love cruising because its so fun to get dressed up but we have never cruised the Med. before - just Caribbean and Tahiti where most did dress up. Should be interesting...I hope I don't feel out of place! I actually assumed most would be more dressed up on this cruise - should have asked CCritic first I guess!

I don't think you'll feel out of place at all. There will be some people in tuxes and long dresses, and it's a festive evening. Just enjoy it. :)

We enjoy the tux and formals and find it sad that so many choose not to dress up for these two nights.....( see Cruisermom we do agree on some things !!! ) As for extra 30 lbs ????? I know I don't own 2 dresses that weight that much :eek:

:rolleyes: It's not the extra piece of luggage, dresses, shoes, bags, DH's suit, shoes, ties, or shirts that add up to 30 lbs, it's my tiara. That dang thing is so heavy it's become a pain to haul around and Lord knows a Texan can't go anywhere without her tiara, right????

:rolleyes: It's not the extra piece of luggage, dresses, shoes, bags, DH's suit, shoes, ties, or shirts that add up to 30 lbs, it's my tiara. That dang thing is so heavy it's become a pain to haul around and Lord knows a Texan can't go anywhere without her tiara, right????

OMG......LOL......ROFL....... :D

Iwas ROFL too!! And it must be a big tiara for all that BIG HAIR!!!:D

You're going to have to give me a break .....There's only so much "Texas" stuff a transplanted Chicagoan can take on. I haven't worked my way up to the big hair yet I've only been here 24 years............................................(But bless your heart....) :D

Archived