Best Side for Panama Canal Cruise?

happyvalley

We're thinking about going on the 10-day Panama Canal cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Acapulco. What do CC'ers recommend for the best side--port or starboard? Thanks!

It really does not matter as there is two lanes that the ships can enter and that you never know ahead of time which lane the ship will use. Besides the best places for you to view the entering of the canal is on the Promenade deck, way up at the bow and way Aft of the ship. Have fun.

Marilyn

I have to agree that both sides are good. We have stayed on the balcony for a while and then have gone topside for more pictures. You will have time to go from your cabin to open decks and back again if you wish. There will be lots of opportunities for great pictures.

Going all the way through the canal is great and it does get hot and humid. We were there in November.

I have a question sort of related. When going through the Panama Canal locks, and the water is at the lowest in the lock. How many decks of the Coral or Island Princess are below ground level until the water raises the ship up?

I am trying to figure out if we will see the walls of the lock from our balcony. Or do we need to go down a few decks to see this? We are on the Caribe, which is high up so I am thinking we will still be above ground level even at the lowest point.

Would we see the walls of the lock on the Promenade?

I have a question sort of related. When going through the Panama Canal locks, and the water is at the lowest in the lock. How many decks of the Coral or Island Princess are below ground level until the water raises the ship up?

I am trying to figure out if we will see the walls of the lock from our balcony. Or do we need to go down a few decks to see this? We are on the Caribe, which is high up so I am thinking we will still be above ground level even at the lowest point.

Would we see the walls of the lock on the Promenade?

Usually to the Promanade deck which is deck 7.

You would see the walls in the dining room but the Promanade is level or higher the then walls. :D

We're thinking about going on the 10-day Panama Canal cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Acapulco. What do CC'ers recommend for the best side--port or starboard? Thanks!

We prefer the port side when going e to w and starboard when going w to e. Perhaps lucky, but we have been on the 'shore' side each way and not had another ship blocking our balcony view. Of course, there is the rest of the ship that we also use extensively! I believe we walk more going thru the canal than on any shore excursion. If you are on the Island or Coral Princess, you also have forward and aft decks for public use. Don't tell anyone, the forward decks are secret.

Archived