need help about westerdam

the col.

we have never been on the westerdam-we are going in nov. have a guarnteed sy room =no room assignment yet==are there any really bad sy rooms? Is there someone out there that can tell me if there would be any hope for a upgrade--is the food really good?thank you in advance for your help--any other great tips for new cruiser--the col.

please someone help---we are booked on westerdam in nov--in a sy room with something called a guarantee for that type--are there any Bad sy rooms on that ship--whats are chances of getting a upgrade?Is the food good?Any additional tips for 1st timers woulld be just great --please help ---the col. thanks:)

Welcome to Cruise Critic and the HAL forum. :)

IMO there's no such thing as a bad SY cabin on any Vista ship! :) There's always a chance of an upgrade, but I would be perfectly happy in an SY.

We think the food is generally just fine, although some gourmands may disagree. If you are served anything that you dislike just send it back and get something different!

I suggest you join your Roll Call. You didn't mention any date so I can't post an exact link, but CLICK HERE and then search for your date. If you can't find one, start one!

I think you'll fall in love with HAL as most of us have. Have a great cruise! :)

I agree with JTL, SY cabins are great. Have been on the Westerdam on two back-to-back cruises in SY cabins and had a fabulous time. The cabin, bathroom, and balcony are spacious and you shouldn't be disappointed if you don't get an upgrade.

My husband and I love HAL -- it's our favorite line. Up until several years ago, RCI used to be our favorite. However, we had some awful experiences 3 times in a row and decided it was time to try HAL. HAL's been our favorite ever since. HAL's service can't be beat and the food is very good. The entertainment is good, although I have to say that Royal does better in this area. Overall, as far as I'm concerned, HAL can't be beat.

Have a wonderful cruise!:)

I agree with JTL, SY cabins are great. Have been on the Westerdam on two back-to-back cruises in SY cabins and had a fabulous time. The cabin, bathroom, and balcony are spacious and you shouldn't be disappointed if you don't get an upgrade.

My husband and I love HAL -- it's our favorite line. Up until several years ago, RCI used to be our favorite. However, we had some awful experiences 3 times in a row and decided it was time to try HAL. HAL's been our favorite ever since. HAL's service can't be beat and the food is very good. The entertainment is good, although I have to say that Royal does better in this area. Overall, as far as I'm concerned, HAL can't be beat.

Have a wonderful cruise!:)

thank you so much for your info --any relly good insider tips for us new guys--thanks --the col.

We love the Westerdam, she's a great ship. As others have said, there are no bad SY cabins on the Westerdam. They generous in size and have great bathrooms. Don't be let down if you don't get an upgrade, your cabin should be fine.

I enjoy the food on the Westerdam, although not exactly up to many "foodie's" standards, I found everything adequately prepared and tasty. If you haven't done so already you may want to make reservations for dinner in the Pinnacle Grill. At $20 pp it is a real bargain; the steaks are wonderful and the creme brulee is to die for as is the chocolate volcano cake.

The beds on HAL are very comfortable, the verandah furniture is superior to most we have found on other ships. We love that HAL has a true Promenade deck that circles the ship, great for a brisk walk or for sitting in a deck chair reading or watching the world go by. HAL ships usually have good libraries, you can also check out board games and that's where you'll find the daily trivia, crossword and sudoku games.

You will find wonderful ice creams in the Lido buffet area, available all day at no charge. I blame that ice cream for the weight I gain while on a HAL cruise.:p :o

Enjoy your Westerdam cruise, then come and tell us all about it.

thank you so much for your info --any relly good insider tips for us new guys--thanks --the col.
Are you a first-time cruiser, or just first time on HAL? There's an entire forum for first time cruisers (click here), but that is not HAL specific. There are tons of tips on HAL here, and you've got 3 months (or so) to do some reading! I'll try to find a link or two to some "newbie HAL threads" and post again.

I couldn't find the thread that I really wanted to send you to (it was something like "Everything a Newbie Should Know ...) but here's a few that have some "lists" in them:

ONE

TWO

THREE

Just ask us a lot of questions! :)

p.s. Here's a post by NYGirl1002 that might be useful:

As you know we will be cruising for the very first time on Saturday. We are flying to Seattle tomorrow so I wanted to thank you all for imparting your knowledge and experiences to a novice. In a few short weeks I learned so much that no one will even know it's my first time. Thanks to you I will do the following:

I bought a plug strip for charging several things at once

I am whale watching on the MildredG rather than glass bottom boats

I am going to get a spa pass for the three of us

I am going to do the mush dogs because we get to play with puppies

I am bringing my own thermal cup for coffee and/or hot chocolate

I bought my husband lots of collared shirts for dinner

I can tip my steward and/or waitstaff in cash after my cruise

I am going to make dinner reservations early in the morning for that night

I got trip insurance

I am going to try and bring wine on to the ship

I am going to leave my finished book in the HAL Library.

I'm sure there's so many more things that I will remember as they happen and rest assured that I will think of all of you wonderful posters.

So, again, thank you all for helping me out on my first cruise.

I will write a review when I get back.

Fran

Archived