Your first cruise ship

Berwyn, Hello! Did you ever find anything out about Captain Osten Andreassen? he was our captain on our first cruise.

I have a picture taken of him on our Cruise on the Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines' M/S Song of Norway in June 1972. The ports were Nassau, San Juan & St. Thomas. It's just a coincidence but my twin brother and I were born in Berwyn quite a few years ago! (I think I told you that on a post a few years ago). We are getting ready for our 21st & 22nd cruise in Nov & Jan.

Ruth

Berwyn, Hello! Did you ever find anything out about Captain Osten Andreassen? he was our captain on our first cruise.

I have a picture taken of him on our Cruise on the Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines' M/S Song of Norway in June 1972. The ports were Nassau, San Juan & St. Thomas. It's just a coincidence but my twin brother and I were born in Berwyn quite a few years ago! (I think I told you that on a post a few years ago). We are getting ready for our 21st & 22nd cruise in Nov & Jan.

Ruth

Captain Andreassen was great.

Norwegian Wind in 2005, also still sailing as SuperStar Aquarius http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuperStar_Aquarius

My husband and I were very unimpressed initially but had gotten a killer deal we were sailing a 12 day Hawaiian Islands itinerary and for an inside cabin and round-trip airfare we paid only $1400 (yes, for the 2 of us and it included airfare! what a deal) but by the end of the cruise we were totally hooked. To date, that was still the least impressive ship we've sailed so far. Next up for us is Crown Princess in November :)

I had a picture of him that I saved from photobucket but the owner took it down. He captained our honeymoon cruise in May 1980. That cruise got us hooked.

I lived at 23rd.st. and Wesley where are you from.

Wesley sounds familiar. My parents lived in Berwyn and then moved to La Grange, IL when I was about 2 or 3 yrs old. Many of my friends that I went to

school with were born in Berwyn. My father worked at Western Electric in Cicero for for about 40 years. He was born & died, age 60 in La Grange. He never left. My husband and I were back in the La Grange neighborhood about 5 yrs ago. My neighborhood is now beautiful tree lined streets and part of the Historical District on So. Ashland Ave.

Here is the photo I took of Capt.Osten Andreassen.

Ruth (crusingalong)

SongOfNorwayCaptain1972.jpg.e3376d4a6e6f65cffb752af9440ea44d.jpg

Wesley sounds familiar. My parents lived in Berwyn and then moved to La Grange, IL when I was about 2 or 3 yrs old. Many of my friends that I went to

school with were born in Berwyn. My father worked at Western Electric in Cicero for for about 40 years. He was born & died, age 60 in La Grange. He never left. My husband and I were back in the La Grange neighborhood about 5 yrs ago. My neighborhood is now beautiful tree lined streets and part of the Historical District on So. Ashland Ave.

Here is the photo I took of Capt.Osten Andreassen.

Ruth (crusingalong)

I remember him so well. A great captain.

Carnival Jubilee in 1994 as my high school graduation present! I got to take a girlfriend and I was totally hooked after that trip. We went to Puerta Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas. That boat was a bit dated and worn down even then. Wonder where it is now!

Carnival Jubilee in 1994 as my high school graduation present! I got to take a girlfriend and I was totally hooked after that trip. We went to Puerta Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas. That boat was a bit dated and worn down even then. Wonder where it is now!

Here's info about the Jubilee:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henna_(ship)

Celebrity Century in 2007 - she certainly made a great impression, I loved it, and it got me hooked on cruising (I guess it helped that she was less than a year out of dry dock at the time, after undergoing a major refurbishment).

She's still around but leaving the Celebrity fleet and going to a French subsidiary next April.

Clemmie, that is strange that you mentioned The Love Boat. :) The reason I say this, and you may have never heard of her, but Janet Dailey wrote books on each state of the USA, and I believe she passed away a year or two ago. She was living in Branson, Missouri.

What I'm trying to get at is, I am reading the book that she wrote that is all about The Love Boat which was on TV years ago. I didn't realize that Princess was the one that had that ship. Even though it was years ago, I am reliving some of the things the characters are doing on The Love Boat, as I have done in the past on my cruises. :)

Twenty-five years ago my friend and I took (my husband won't fly) our first cruise together on Holland American Neu Amsterdam. What a cruise that was, not knowing what to expect. :) The end of April of this year, my friend and I took (I have cruised with others since) our 2nd cruise together after 25 years. :) I have probably taken about 14 - 16 cruises, and HOPE to do more!

Interesting information! I'll have to find that book. I think the Starward had about 650 passengers, and I remember how we laughed at how small the cabins were compared to the cabins on the Love Boat (we had the least expensive room there was...inside, deck 2, twin beds that did NOT move.) Good times!

You might enjoy this book as well it's called "Love Boats" and was written by Jeraldine Saunders. It was the book that the show was based on. It isn't as timely now as when it was written but still fun. I remember the first time I saw the T.V. show "The Love Boat" I had been on several cruises and my first thought was that first time cruisers are going to be disappointed when they board and find that their cabins are not as large as hotel rooms.

Agree!! And the room keys were just that -- a key on a room tag. Don't tell, but I kept one of those tags. Still have it, too. :D

• 3 weeks later...

The "Liberte" in 1958. I was in the army on a thirty leave and my parents took me along (in third class, they had classes back than. The folks were in first but my father took care of a door keeper and I had free access to first including dining) . NYC to England somewhere. Who could afford to get hooked on army pay?

Next 1990 Celebrity NYC to Bemuda THAT hooked me. Have about 19 completed

• 2 weeks later...

First was on the original Queen Mary in Sept. 1955. Loved it. And you couldn't lock your cabin when you left it...the steward told me if anything was stolen "they" (crew members?) would find it, not to worry. No problem at all, or on the return in November 1955 on the Queen Elizabeth, except we bounced around a lot in rough seas when dancing.

Royal Caribbean's Nordic Prince in July 1990. NYC to Bermuda, I was 13 years old. Yes, I was hooked from then on, even though I was just a kid.

How things have changed since then...we had a real key for our cabin, it was an option to pay for onboard expenses with either cash or to open up an onboard account (my parents opted for cash), the only venue open for dinner was the dining room, we had a set breakfast, lunch and dinner time in the MDR with the same wait staff for all 3 meals, and we got to know them so well. The exception was while in port, MDR lunch was open seating. The buffet was very small and less crowded than the MDR at breakfast and lunch, and the food was much better in the MDR so we ate there. It was a small ship but felt huge back then!

Hi, My first cruise was the MS Sunward out of Miami. Cruising to the Bahamas. This was in 1969. I'm learning that this was one of the first cruise ships out of the port of Miami (NCL) The co-owner went on in a few years to become the founder of Carnival Cruise Line and the rest is history. (Tony Arison) We just returned from our 10th cruise on Carnival. My love for cruising began in 1969 and now cruise with family and friends and they are addicted. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Norwegian Majesty in November 2005. We sailed out of Charleston SC (just a 4 hour drive from our home in Charlotte NC at the time) but the ship ran into rough seas so we had to cancel our call to Cayman Islands. We were literally the first ship back to Cozumel after Wilma just about destroyed them. The main pier was gone, so we had to tender in. Only one block was open, but we took a catamaran beach break and rode past all the broken-down hotels and trees blown everywhere. Needless to say they were more than happy to see us. Weather was perfect, our guides were wonderful. Best day of all! :cool:

Even with the rough weather and my husband getting sick (he had an abscess under one of his teeth and had to go to the dispensary) we were already talking about our next one which ended up being the Norwegian Sun in 2007. I so want to take another cruise, Lord willing.

Our first cruise was on the Nordic Empress out of Miami to the Bahamas in 1980. The name was changed to Empress of the Seas before it was sold. Saw pictures of it recently in Europe. Yes it did hook us. We have been cruising ever since.

Grannybush

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My first cruise was in 1964 on a Transatlantic from Liverpool, England to Quebec, Canada on the Cunard R.M.S. Carinthia. Although, too young to remember it, I would say that I have been hooked ever since :)

Spent our Honeymoon on the NCL M/s Seaward......and even though we had a tiny, tiny, tiny inside cabin with twin beds that didn't move!!!..........we made the most of it....;) . LOL :p

Counting down 39 days now until our next cruise!!

~~Craving A Cruise~~

Edited by Craving A Cruise
Typo

• 2 weeks later...

Our next door neighbors treated us to a cruise on the Sun Princess in Feb. 1998 and were our hosts, showing us the ropes. as they say. That really got me hooked and I was totally fascinated by the entire thing.

They moved away and we were able to afford our own cruise in Oct. 2001 on the Golden Princess. That cruise really spoiled us, as we were given a handicapped room with a balcony upon arrival at the terminal. There was lots of security only being one month past 9/11.

Our latest cruise card stated 10 Princess cruises, the latest being a return to the Caribbean Princess in Sept. 2014 after being on her in Sept. 2004. Last year, we tried the Royal Princess. We also sailed on the HAL Zuiderdam in 2003; Carnival Legend in 2006; Norwegian Jewel in 2010.

Other Princess ships were: Grand, Star, Emerald twice and Ruby twice.

I gradually get over each cruise when my husband says it will be awhile until the next one. However, it is he who starts researching another one. :)

I'm already hoping to get back on the Caribbean Princess once more, to finish the reunion, before moving on to another one again.

Take care, Everybody. Enjoy your cruises!

Lynne

My first cruise was last September on the Golden Princess. I loved it...a road trip on water with no driving!

We did a post Thanksgiving cruise on carnival Fantasy. Was less than thrilled with ship and clientele. I do not hold the ship against carnival because it was their oldest in the fleet.

Just did the maiden TA of the Regal. I'm smitten with all things cruising and love boat. We are doing the Emerald for New Years.

4 in 15 months...I'm hooked, wish we would have found it sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums