West Coast - Hawaii Roundtrip Cruisers Thread

karatemom2

Any of you that have done this cruise can you please let me know a little about kauai, we are thinking of renting a van here and touring the island on our own, this is our shortest stay 8-5 at the island, the canyon is not a must for us since we have all seen the grand canyon but would like some help with what is a must to see and do.(ei: fern gotto, waterfalls, etc.) thanks

Any of you that have done this cruise can you please let me know a little about kauai, we are thinking of renting a van here and touring the island on our own, this is our shortest stay 8-5 at the island, the canyon is not a must for us since we have all seen the grand canyon but would like some help with what is a must to see and do.(ei: fern gotto, waterfalls, etc.) thanks

There is quite a bit to do besides Waimea Canyon, and I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions. I just want to mention that the Grand Canyon and Waimea Canyon are completely different experiences. We've been to both. We stayed at the Grand Canyon for four days many years ago and were amazed and overwhelmed by it. However, that doesn't mean I think you must make it priority (in fact, with 1 shortish day, I don't think it is), but I wanted to let you know that it is worthy of a visit in its own right, regardless of whether you've been to the Grand Canyon.

This is a wonderful site. We are going in November and have never been to Hawaii. We were wondering what excursions we should do.

Thankyou

Are you asking a general question of "what excursions should we do on all the islands"? If so, that's a hugely broad question. There really are literally hundreds of things to see and do in Hawaii. Your must do/see things will depend on your own preferences, ages, fitness/activity levels, and so forth. It would take hours and many, many pages for me to talk about our personal favorites--and that's just us. Others will have a different take on what's most important. You might want to scroll around the forum and read some of the various threads discussing different activities/excursions. If you haven't already, you'll want to either borrow or invest in at least one good guidebook. The Revealed series (one full book for each primary island--which should give you an idea of just how much is available) is excellent. There are some good websites, such as gohawaii and 101thingstodo, as well. Plus, you'll want to explore your cruise line's excursion offerings both for ideas and to see if you want to do excursions through the cruise line, book on your own, or rent cars and go off exploring.

We love to "talk" about Hawaii, but most of us need more ideas and more specific questions to help narrow things down and give our best opinions. Truly, you will likely get better and more comprehensive answers this way.

beachchick

This is a wonderful site. We are going in November and have never been to Hawaii. We were wondering what excursions we should do.

Thankyou

For any first time visitor to Hawaii two things I always recommend are Pearl Harbor for your Honolulu port stop and Volcanoes National Park for your Hilo stop. Beyond that the options are many as beachchick points out. Do you like to snorkel?

Does anyone know how far it is to Waikiki area from wherever Golden Princess will dock? Is it walkable?

Thanx in advance, Steve

If the Golden docks the same place we docked with Princess last year it is at the Aloha tower. While it is walkable to Waikiki, it is a pretty long walk. Unless you really want to walk it in order to explore on the way, I would suggest taking a cab, shuttle or The Bus.

I love Kauai. It is so lush and beautiful. Last year when we were there we rented a convertible and just drove and explored (with the top down of course!) My favorite drive is to head north and drive all the way to Hanalei where the road ends at Kee Beach. There are lots of stops to make along the way to see waterfalls, the lighthouse, gorgeous views, etc.

Thanks Mary, I was thinking of going north and seeing all the sights in that direction. Do you think that will take up most of our day? or will we have any time to go south/east?

The wagon trip on Hilo looks wonderful, If we did not already have plans I would really like to do this tour maybe next time.

If the Golden docks the same place we docked with Princess last year it is at the Aloha tower. While it is walkable to Waikiki, it is a pretty long walk. Unless you really want to walk it in order to explore on the way, I would suggest taking a cab, shuttle or The Bus.

This thread is wonderful! We are cruising on Carnival the Spirit in a couple weeks. I hope it's Ok to be a part of this thread as a Carnival cruiser. I'm still trying to figure out the funnest things to do in ports of Honolulu, Oahu and Maui Kahalui overnight, and in Hilo and Kona, Hawaii for the day.

How far walk is it to Waikiki beach, 1/2 or mile walk, from port of Aloha tower? We walk a mile nonstop in 15 minutes.

Thanks Mary, I was thinking of going north and seeing all the sights in that direction. Do you think that will take up most of our day? or will we have any time to go south/east?

The wagon trip on Hilo looks wonderful, If we did not already have plans I would really like to do this tour maybe next time.

It would probably take up most of the day if you plan to stop and enjoy all the different sights along the way and not feel rushed. Plus you have to allow time to drive back too.

This thread is wonderful! We are cruising on Carnival the Spirit in a couple weeks. I hope it's Ok to be a part of this thread as a Carnival cruiser. I'm still trying to figure out the funnest things to do in ports of Honolulu, Oahu and Maui Kahalui overnight, and in Hilo and Kona, Hawaii for the day.

How far walk is it to Waikiki beach, 1/2 or mile walk, from port of Aloha tower? We walk a mile nonstop in 15 minutes.

All cruisers welcome here!! I mapquested it and it's about a three mile walk from the Aloha Tower Marketplace to the Hilton Hawaiian hotel which is one of the hotels right at the top of Waikiki Beach. (It's the one with the big rainbow on the side) So it's doable, but a long walk, especially if it's hot.

For any first time visitor to Hawaii two things I always recommend are Pearl Harbor for your Honolulu port stop and Volcanoes National Park for your Hilo stop. Beyond that the options are many as beachchick points out. Do you like to snorkel?

Unfortunately, we don't swim. Wished we did because I'd love to snorkel. We are in our 50's and are looking for reasonably priced excursions.

There is a roll call for the 11/22/2008 Zaandam sailing to Hawaii, but it is not very active. There were only two of us that were posting regulary and unfortunately the other gentleman and his wife had to cancel their plans due to his wife's illness.

Thanks., I had forgotten that I actually found that roll call and had even posted! You are right, it has been quiet over there.

Although I'm obviously not Mary, may I chime in?

IMO, you could cram in both in one day, but that's what it will likely be: Rushing from place to place to place to see/do as much as possible. Now, there are some people who don't mind that and are fine with just a quick stop or glimpse of things. We are not of that mindset. We'd rather do/see fewer things and really enjoy them. If you take your time and make stops, relax here and there on a beach or at a park or what have you, visit the lighthouse, walk through the Princeville resort, hike out at the end of the road, and, well, you get the idea, then you'll use most of your day going fully north.

If you head north, you'll actually see the east as well, so that's no problem. If you're talking about wanting to go "the other way" from Lihue (Nawiliwili), then that's the other story. There is no circle road on Kauai because of the Na Pali coast. From the north (at the end of the road just past Ke'e beach), it's about 1-1/2 to 2 hours straight driving time back to Lihue. So, you can see that there's a whole lot of car time just to get back to "square 1" (Lihue) in order to head west.

You really can't go wrong touring either direction. There's much to see and do all over the island. If I had to choose one, it would be east and north just because it's spectacularly beautiful and Ke'e beach is a wonderful end-of-the-road stop, regardless of whether the weather and water conditions are good that day.

All that said, there are people who have gone from one end of the road to the other all on the same day. As none of them have reported actually dying from all that driving, I'm going to say that it's an option that won't kill you. The big concern I often have is that many people plan days so crammed full, so scheduled to the minute (even including when, where, and how long potty breaks will be--not kidding) that when the time comes they're absolutely overwhelmed and exhausted. Of course, it doesn't sound like this would be the situation in your case, considering that you're asking whether we think it would be too much in the first place.

Bottom line is that I urge you to take your time and really enjoy yourselves. Take a few minutes to (as I am infamous for suggesting) stop and smell the plumerias. Allow the aloha spirit to soothe and relax you.

As always, JMHO.

beachchick

I read about the tour on some board - but can't remember where - senior moment :rolleyes: anyway, I also checked it out on tripadvisor and the reviews were good. It was not through Princess. The website for the KOS Hummer Tours on Oahu is http://www.hummertourshawaii.com/

Since I'm a big fan of Lost, I'm looking forward to this!

Carol

I am new to this website, glad to find it. We are on the Golden for 18 March 2009 14 days to Hawaii! I can't believe we are actually going. We will be celebrating our 30th anniversary. I have found a lot of information already. Just not sure what to explore yet.

As always you have so much great info, I have read many of your advice and suggestions and have found it very helpful, so thank you and continue to post all your conments I enjoy reading all that you have to say. you are right I do not wish to rush around just to see everything in one short day, so heading north and seeing the east and north area sounds like the perfect day at a slower pace, relaxed and happy. This then it gives me the prefect excuse to come back again to see the other half.

Thanks to all that have helped and for starting this thread it is one that I keep checking :)

Gail

Do you not sleep I always see that you post very late at night or early in the a.m. you must be a night owl,

I love those quite times when my whole house is asleep.

thanks again

Kind of a night owl (from 2 decades in theater). These days, I have trouble sleeping soundly for long stretches (even though I need to sleep or rest 14+ hours a day, which kind of stinks), so I get up and pass the time with my CC friends while I daydream about Hawaii, travel, and cruises.

As always you have so much great info, I have read many of your advice and suggestions and have found it very helpful, so thank you and continue to post all your conments I enjoy reading all that you have to say. you are right I do not wish to rush around just to see everything in one short day, so heading north and seeing the east and north area sounds like the perfect day at a slower pace, relaxed and happy. This then it gives me the prefect excuse to come back again to see the other half.

Thanks to all that have helped and for starting this thread it is one that I keep checking :)

Gail

Mahalo for your nice compliment. You have absolutely the right attitude about this: Oh dear! We didn't get to see and do everything; guess we'll have to come visit again and spend more time. (Repeat visits to Hawaii are always a good idea.):D

beachchick

Terrific board! Thanks everyone!

So excited and grateful to take my first trip to Hawaii! Everything sounds lovely, and I'm sure the perfect compliment to 4 fun-filled days on the islands will be the relaxing days at sea onboard the Golden Princess.

My only "concern" was the short stay on Kauai. Instead of worrying about returning a car and getting back to the ship, we went with a Princess shore excursion. (Ziplines at Princeville Resort) We figured, let them worry about getting us back on time! :)

On the other islands, we're doing it all on our own. So far, Blue Hawaii helicopter tour in Hilo, plus driving to VNP; Pearl Harbor and horseback riding on Oahu; and snorkeling on Maui.

Other than that, just enjoying the flowers, scenery, and the hospitality of the locals. :D

December 24th cruise to Hawaii

Decided to go on the Ensenada Wine Country tour and Maui Snorkeling.....

ok, three more to go....Hilo, Kauai, and Honolulu

Any tips...trying to get people to talk about other princess/ Hawaii excursions on an earlier thread...likes and dislikes but no responses as of yet. Can wait until the first cruise takes off and we hear the stories from it.

Talk soon

Celeste

I just booked for April '10. Seems like such a long way off, but I am definitely getting excited.

A question for those of you going on Golden Princess. I know that they took of the Kona itinerary, but I was wondering if they still sail past the volcano.

I have a friend who went on the Diamond last March, and he said they sailed past it at around 1 o'clock in the morning or so.

I would like to know if they still sail by it, and does the captain turn the ship 360° so everyone can see it? I have heard that some ships do that.

Maybe a stupid question, but I will be asking pretty much everything I can think of...:)

Archived