West Coast - Hawaii Roundtrip Cruisers Thread

karatemom2

What is a good time of the year to do this cruise if sitting on the deck by the pool is important to you?

We sailed on November 4 and you could have sat on the deck at least 7 of the sea days out of 9. But there is no guarantee.

What is a good time of the year to do this cruise if sitting on the deck by the pool is important to you?

We sailed over Christmas last time and it was nice once we were about a day out from the coast, but this year we are going October 21 as we have heard from many sources that October is the best month to do Hawaii...we shall see.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Keep smiling...make them wonder what you're up to!

We sailed over Christmas last time and it was nice once we were about a day out from the coast, but this year we are going October 21 as we have heard from many sources that October is the best month to do Hawaii...we shall see.

Hey stranger! Glad to know that about Oct. Myron gets sea sick, so one of the things I've been trying to find out is what the weather will be like in Oct.

If you dock at Aloha Tower (which Princess does most of the time), when you walk out of the terminal building you'll see the taxi stand right across the side street that runs out in front of the building. There was a dispatcher there. Everyone in line was going to the Arizona Memorial. He just fills the taxis with passengers. Most are 7 passenger vans. The fare back in 2011 was $30 plus a $5 tip, which came out to $5 a passenger.

For the return trip, when we left the Arizona Memorial, we followed the blue bus signs up to the street. The bus stop was just to the left of the parking lot entrance. Very easy to find. The fare was $2.50 a person. Here's a link to the Oahu city bus system:

http://www.thebus.org/

When we were in Honolulu last December, the owner of a kiosk at the Aloha Tower marketplace was telling us that the marketplace and the cruise terminal there was going to be torn down to be used as a facility for a college (I think she said some sorta athletic complex) sometime soon. So it may be safe to double check the cruise line calendar for the Port of Honolulu (it's someplace online) to make sure where your ship will be docked.

Hey stranger! Glad to know that about Oct. Myron gets sea sick, so one of the things I've been trying to find out is what the weather will be like in Oct.

The sea conditions can be affected more than just the weather. On our three cruises (all during the holiday time) had different weather and somewhat different sea conditions -- and it seemed like it wasn't always directly related to what the weather was at the time.

When we were in Honolulu last December' date=' the owner of a kiosk at the Aloha Tower marketplace was telling us that the marketplace and the cruise terminal there was going to be torn down to be used as a facility for a college (I think she said some sorta athletic complex) sometime soon. So it may be safe to double check the cruise line calendar for the Port of Honolulu (it's someplace online) to make sure where your ship will be docked.[/color']

Here's an article I found about the Aloha Tower Marketplace. It sounds like there will be dorm rooms for Hawaii Pacific University on the upper floors, and the ground floor will still be retail space. This might help re-vitalize the Marketplace, having students living there. I didn't see any mention of the fate of cruise ships there. But, in checking the Port of Honolulu schedule for the rest of 2013, the Star and Grand are still scheduled to dock at Pier 11 this fall, except for Oct. 27.

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news/2013/01/14/hawaii-pacific-university-gets-ok-for.html?page=all

http://hidot.hawaii.gov/harbors/files/2013/01/oahucruise2013.pdf

We sailed on November 4 and you could have sat on the deck at least 7 of the sea days out of 9. But there is no guarantee.

We are leaving the same date, but in 2014. I'm hoping it's that good.

Did you get the free gratuities?

I'm booked on a round trip Hawaii trip and am waiting to see if I qualify. If not, I will cancel and rebook to get the free gratuities. It will save up $720!

How does one get free gratuities?

It was a sale that Princess was having at the time. It is over now. Turns out that it wasn't that great of a sale anyways. I had my TA look into it and in order to get the free gratuities, our cruise price would go up.

We did the same thing and had same results so decided to keep the great price we already had...sometimes it works out good and sometimes not so... See ya all there.

Booked for RT on Star, Oct 6 to 21.

Checked out ship :eek: excursions.

Honolulu done. Oct 11

Kauai done. Oct 12

Maui Oct 13 looking for a good snuba excursion/tour. Anybody done this in 2013?

Hilo Oct 14 same as above.

Can anyone who has been there, done that, help with tours you would recommend?

I have checked out on line info, but am concerned that one would have to make their own transportation arrangements. Having done that 10 years ago on Kauai - took a cab to snorkel boat on Na Pali coast, asked for a pick up. Waited 45 minutes. Cab never showed and the boat captain gave us a ride back to our hotel. TG, it was in the middle of nowhere.

Either we get in too late for some tours, or you take a chance on a cab:eek:!

Thanks in advance for your info.:)

Booked for RT on Star, Oct 6 to 21.

Checked out ship :eek: excursions.

Honolulu done. Oct 11

Kauai done. Oct 12

Maui Oct 13 looking for a good snuba excursion/tour. Anybody done this in 2013?

Hilo Oct 14 same as above.

Can anyone who has been there, done that, help with tours you would recommend?

I have checked out on line info, but am concerned that one would have to make their own transportation arrangements. Having done that 10 years ago on Kauai - took a cab to snorkel boat on Na Pali coast, asked for a pick up. Waited 45 minutes. Cab never showed and the boat captain gave us a ride back to our hotel. TG, it was in the middle of nowhere.

Either we get in too late for some tours, or you take a chance on a cab:eek:!

Thanks in advance for your info.:)

How strange, we are on the Oct 21 to Nov 5 and our itinerary is different. What are your port arrival / departure times?

My biggest fear is getting back to the ship late on the last day in HI. :eek:

Our Booking Confirmation has the following times (as of July 8):

Honolulu 7A to 11P

Kauai 8A to 5P

Maui 7A to 6P

Hilo 8A to 5P

Have you been to Hawaii and done any excursions?

I've only been to Oahu, but I went to Tripadvisor and checked out Snuba excursions for you.

Out of Maui, assuming you are the same port as us, Lahaina, there are a couple of options for you I found on Trip Advisor. Lahaina is so small and they are so close that you should be able to walk so even if you couldn't get a taxi it wouldn't be a problem. Check out Trilogy Excursions. They have over 1600 reviews and 1500 are 5 star.

Your problem will be with Hilo. It appears the Snuba excursion or on the other side of the island. You might want tostick with a ship excursion on that one.

Thanks for checking them out for me; I had called a day or two ago and asked about their Molokini Crater trip; we get in at 7 and are then tendered in. They told me they were located 30 minutes away and left at 7:45. There was no way we could make it in time.:(

I will check back with them regarding snuba.

Thanks again for going over and above.:)

Archived