Please help! Passport ?

smch916

Hi! Please help! My mom and I are scheduled to go on a cruise Saturday out of San Diego. She cannot find her passport anywhere!

I went to the US passport info site and it looks like it is still acceptable to travel by sea with a Driver's Liscense and Birth Cert. Does anyone know if this is true or if I'm reading this right? I know for air travel you have to have a passport.

Carnival's site is down so I can't look there and with us flying to San Diego on Friday, time is of the essence!

Thanks in advance!

Hi! Please help! My mom and I are scheduled to go on a cruise Saturday out of San Diego. She cannot find her passport anywhere!

I went to the US passport info site and it looks like it is still acceptable to travel by sea with a Driver's Liscense and Birth Cert. Does anyone know if this is true or if I'm reading this right? I know for air travel you have to have a passport.

Carnival's site is down so I can't look there and with us flying to San Diego on Friday, time is of the essence!

Thanks in advance!

Yes, she can cruise. Just hope she does not have to fly

Thanks in advance!

As long as she doesn't have to fly back to the United States you still don't need a Passport to cruise. You need a Passport to get on a airplane, not a cruise ship at this time

You should be fine for now...

But I am not sure about Mexico -if that is one of your ports of call???

Check out these sites...

U.S. Citizens

Air Travel

All U.S. citizens including children must present a passport or secure travel document when entering the United States by air.

Land/Sea Travel

Beginning January 31, 2008, the United States will end the practice of accepting oral declarations of citizenship at the border.

• U.S. citizens ages 19 and older must present documentation that proves both identity and citizenship. Identification documents must include a photo, name and date of birth. View the complete list of acceptable documents at CBP.gov for land travel and sea travel.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/ready_set_go/sea_travel/

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

You know she is going to find it as soon as you return!!

:)

As long as you don't fly (like evyone else said) and you don't need a passport to enter a port of call you should be fine (just check the website for what is needed to get off the ship at foreign ports. Ahhhh the fun of traveling with elderly parents - once this is solved you will have a great trip. Once on bard, take a deep breath and have a cocktail!

LAND AND SEA TRAVEL

The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Security’s website.

CURRENTLY:

U.S. citizens need to present either (a) a passport, passport card (scheduled to be in full production beginning in July 2008), or WHTI-compliant document; or (b) a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.

LATER:

On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document.

Note: The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory.

Thanks in advance!

If she's a U.S. citizen, she'll be fine. Meanwhile, she needs to file a lost passport form. You'll find it on the State Department website.

Thank you all! Thankfully it was mentioned about having the raised seal and thankfully she has that certificate...whew...with our luck she would have made a copy of the original to bring and leave the real one at home!

Happy cruising!

Thanks in advance!

There are no current or planned requirements to have a passport to cruise, nor is there a requirement to have one to fly domestically.

Make sure that her BC is a certified copy. It does not have to have a raised seal, BUT it must be certifed by the issuing government agency.

She is fine to go now and in the future unless of course Congress changes the law again, but if they do it will take five years like it did last time.

Here is where the rules can be found

DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY

U. S. CUSTOMS AND BORDER PROTECTION

8 CFR Parts 212 and 235

DEPARTMENT OF STATE

22 CFR Parts 41 and 53

Documents Required for Travelers Departing From or Arriving in the United States at Sea and Land Ports-of-Entry from within the Western Hemisphere

Archived