Journey Civitavecchia to Rome

tory707

Hi All...Question for you. We are on the Journey and stopping at Civitavecchia/Rome on October 27th. My question is for prior azamara travelers. What would be the earliest we get off the ship if it pulls in Civitavecchia @ 7AM. I was looking to book a train ticket on-line @ 8:41AM and want to know if I have enough time to get to the station. Also has anyone ever purchased a train pass prior to leaving for the trip? they say they mail it to your home? Is it safe?

You will have no trouble finding the station because so many people know that this is the inexpensive and fast way to get to Rome.

We bought our tickets at the station when we got there, rather than booking ahead. Very easy. We used the tickets on the subway in Rome (all one price), which is much faster than using the buses. And the subway map is easy to understand.

I don't know that I would count on the ship getting into port at the designated time because weather conditions can change everything. And you never know how fast it will be given clearance. The station was about an easy 15 minute walk from where we docked.

Keep in mind that this is a commuter line and can be very crowded early in the morning. You may want to wait a little while, rather than getting on an early train and not having a seat.

I haven't been on Azamara (it's coming up next month) but when we were on Celebrity Millennium, we docked at 7 and were able to get a train at 8:05. We took the first port shuttle at 7:30, and bought our tickets at the station (9 euros for a B.I.R.G. ticket that will take you to Rome and back and includes use of the subways and buses in Rome.) It wasn't busy the day that we went, so getting the ticket was easy, as was finding a seat on the train.

Someone posted recently on another thread that if the ticket booth at the train station is busy, you can buy tickets at the newspaper stand in the station. Don't forget to stamp your ticket in the machine in the station before boarding, and write your name (and I think D.O.B.) on the back of the ticket.

Thank you for the information. We are taking the Journey next year and are busy reading up on everyone's experiences and all of the helpful information that people are posting.

Is there a website for the train information? We were wondering how long a train ride it is from the port to Rome?

The train takes ~ 70-80 minutes (depending on the # of stops for that train) if you take the Regional train (there are faster ones, but the Regional ones run more frequently and are the ones that you'll find around 8-9 a.m.)

The website is http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=ad1ce14114bc9110VgnVCM10000080a3e90aRCRD

When entering the arrival city, use Roma Termini or Roma San Pietro, depending on where you want to get off (if you are going to the Vatican first, then Roma San Pietro).

Once the schedule comes up, click on "detail" and then the route number ... it will show all of the stops between Civitavecchia and Rome so that you can follow the stops along the way...particularly helpful on the return trip.

The Europe/Mediterranean forum has quite a few threads on taking the train to Rome, with lots of helpful info.

Good luck with your plans.:)

Archived