Denali Day Trip

mjbelen

We have very limited time in Alaska prior to our cruise, so we are considering spending 2 nights in Talkeetna and flying to Denali for the day. We found a tour with Talkeetna Aero Services in which you fly to Denali, tour the park going as far a Wonder Lake, and fly back to Talkeentna the same day. Though it is not cheap, there are two for one coupons in one of the coupon books.

Has anyone done this trip, and if so, did you enjoy the experience. It sounds like a very long exhausting day, but it is the only way we can fit in a trip to Denali. This is our second trip to Alaska and we missed out on seeing Denali the first time.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. :)

You are at risk of putting all your eggs in one basket. You didn't say when you are traveling, but the risk of having poor weather and then having nothing to do for your trouble is something to consider. A lot of money and time on the line here.

Weather in Alaska is always a gamble, but this past summer the weather was rainy. cold and often miserable.

A lot depends on when you intend to visit Alaska and the depth of your pockets. Yes there are coupons, but they only honor so many per day and then seldom on days when the bookings come easily to them.

If the weather is against you, what is your Plan B?

Have they stated this coupon is going to be in the 2009 book??

It's up to you, if you want to see Denali park, then book it. It is a very long day and nothing some of us would do, but it's an option that only you can decide upon.

I'm not sure why you say this is the only way you can do it. If you have 2 nights to stay at Talkeetna, you have two nights you can stay in Denali instead. Drive to Denali one day, stay overnight, bus to Wonder Lake the next day, then either stay again in Denali or drive to Talkeetna for the night.

I was not impressed at all with Talkeetna, although I know others like it. It's very small, and we were glad we just went there to crash for a night.

We took the bus to and from Katishna and really loved the ride. We saw sooo much wildlife. In Katshna, we saw where we could fly out..... If we were to do it again, I would take the bus ride in and fly out..... There is nothing like the bus ride!!! You would miss a lot by flying both ways.

We have very limited time in Alaska prior to our cruise, so we are considering spending 2 nights in Talkeetna and flying to Denali for the day. We found a tour with Talkeetna Aero Services in which you fly to Denali, tour the park going as far a Wonder Lake, and fly back to Talkeentna the same day. Though it is not cheap, there are two for one coupons in one of the coupon books.

Has anyone done this trip, and if so, did you enjoy the experience. It sounds like a very long exhausting day, but it is the only way we can fit in a trip to Denali. This is our second trip to Alaska and we missed out on seeing Denali the first time.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. :)

mjbelen; we did this tour in 2006 thru Talkeetna Aero and absolutely loved it. It's an early start for the day and the folks at the Swiss Alaskan Inn in Talkeetna woke up early so we could have a hot breakfast before leaving for the airport. OK, this is bad but I can't quite remember if the folks from Talkeetna Aero picked us up at the Inn or the people from the Inn took us to the airport...but bottom line not having a car was not a problem.

We arrived at the airport to find out that the weather on the Mountain was a problem and it looked like the flight might be cancelled. We waited for a while and sure enough we were able to make the flight. They either take you on the flightseeing portion on the way to Denali or on he way back depending on weather. Since the weather cleared we had a FANTASTIC flightseeing flight around McKinley; and then we landed in Healy. On the way to the Park entrance where we boarded the shuttle; the driver of the van stopped to pick up our lunches... & really nice lunches I might add!

We were there on June 1st so that might be why we were only able to go as far as Tolkat on the shuttle; it would be great to go as far as Wonder Lake though! When we got back to the park entrance after our tour; we had some time-enough to have a nice cup of coffee and a snack; and oh yes, enough time to buy the Denali Park T-Shirt I'm wearing right now! The van arrived and we went back to the airport in Healy. Now here's my surprise. We had a great trip back; not over the MCKinley of course, but the MTN was now out I got some beautiful shots of McKinley in the distance. It was raining in one area so I got some beautiful rainbow shots!

We had a wonderful day and yes; the price is not cheap; but for our schedule it was a perfect option for us. I've worked with Talkeetna Aero on a previous trip and have always enjoyed working with them!

Hope some feedback from someone who has actuallydone what you're considering is of help! I agree; weather is always something to consider in Alaska; but talk to them at Talkeetna Aero and ask about your options!

Thank you so much for your insights on the tour. I really was hoping to find someone who has taken it in the past.

I know that weather is always a factor in Alaska, so we will just hope for the best. We are on such limited time, that this really is my only option if I want to try to fit in seeing Denali. At worst, we will either just take a flight tour if weather permit sometime during the day, or just spend the day touring around Talkeetna. It's all good.

We will be flying all day to Anchorage on Friday as we live in South Florida. I have checked the driving times from Anchorage and Talkeetna to Denali and it is just too far for us to consider driving. We are just not willing to spend that many hours driving as we will be exhausted from all that flying and time changes.

Thanks again.

I understand time restraints. It's easy to say you need to spend more time in Alaska; but those of us who work for a living and don't have that much vacation time just have to fit in the most we can! This year by hitting an anniversary date I now have more vacation; so I was able to have more time in Alaska AND be able to go down to Key West to visit my grandbaby!

Life is good!

You'll love Talkeetna. It's one of my favorite towns!

Although I understand the OP's time constraint, I don't understand why it requires flying to Denali instead of driving. Denali is about 3 hours drive from Talkeetna and it's an easy drive with spectacular scenery. A suggested rough itenerary:

Day 1- Drive from ANC to Talkeetna (2h), take a 11am or noon flightseeing flight to the mountain (weather and visibility permitting). Walk around Talkeetna, drive to Denali, arriving around 5pm. Visit the NPS exhibits and visitor center, take care of shuttle bus vouchers or payment at the WAC. Optional evening whitwater rafting.

Day 2- Shuttle Bus to Eilesen Visitor Center, about 8 hours (doesn't seem that long!). Optional 4pm tour of NPS dog kennels.

Day 3- Drive back to ANC, second chance for flightseeing if it didn't work on the 1st day. Arrive ANC early afternoon, visit a museum, stroll around downtown or the Weekend Market.

We did this iteneray in July at a leisurely pace. I did all the driving and was never tired from time behind the wheel. There are plenty of stops along the way. Remember there is 24 hour daylight in July and you will find yourself doing a lot of things in a day.

By the way, I'm a pilot and on Day 1 & 3 of our itenerary the flights were cancelled due to poor visibility around the peak; they would not have been able to land in the Healy area either. If you do decide to fly, have a Plan B if they have to cancel. Also ask what happens if the weather closes in during the day and they are unable to get you back to Talkeetna. All the flightseeing operators at Talkeetna will give you an honest answer.

Definitely tell us what you find out. You will have an amazing time either way!

We were there on June 1st so that might be why we were only able to go as far as Tolkat on the shuttle; it would be great to go as far as Wonder Lake though! previous trip and have always enjoyed working with them!

QUOTE]

The farthest point on June 1 would have been Fish Creek, not Toklat.

We were there on June 1st so that might be why we were only able to go as far as Tolkat on the shuttle; it would be great to go as far as Wonder Lake though! previous trip and have always enjoyed working with them!

QUOTE]

The farthest point on June 1 would have been Fish Creek, not Toklat.

We were there on June 1st and we went as far as Toklat. I just checked a map of Denali to make sure. One day I do want to make it as far as Wonder Lake for sure.

• 8 months later...

Thank you for your insight. Is the shuttle into Denali one of the ones offered by the park? Is it at least pleasant and comfortable? I was told that it will NOT be narrated - seems like an awful long time in a bus with no narration - how will we know what we're looking at?? We're not too concerned about the flight as we are about the 8 hours on the shuttle bus. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much for your insights on the tour. I really was hoping to find someone who has taken it in the past.

I know that weather is always a factor in Alaska, so we will just hope for the best. We are on such limited time, that this really is my only option if I want to try to fit in seeing Denali. At worst, we will either just take a flight tour if weather permit sometime during the day, or just spend the day touring around Talkeetna. It's all good.

We will be flying all day to Anchorage on Friday as we live in South Florida. I have checked the driving times from Anchorage and Talkeetna to Denali and it is just too far for us to consider driving. We are just not willing to spend that many hours driving as we will be exhausted from all that flying and time changes.

Thanks again.

Did you end up doing this tour?? Please let me know what you think!! We're really worried about spending all that money if it's worth it.

We do have limited time in that area - should we drive instead? We arrive into ANC around 3pm and we plan to drive straight to Talkeetna and spend the night. Next morning we were either going to take this Denali Day Trip with Aero or continue driving on our own, see Denali really quick (are there any bus tours that are shorter than 8 hours?) and head back to ANC. I know it all sounds crazy but unfortunately that's all we have time for! HELP!

You can't shut up most of the shuttle bus drivers. They talk your ear off with all kinds of good information about the park and the wildlife. Just that they are not "required" to narrate. My most recent driver lived in the area for 15 years before moving to the lower 48 and returning the past several years in the summer to continue driving the bus. She was excellent.

A day trip to the park without flying is hardly worth it - 3 hours from Talkeetna to Denali, 6-8 hour bus ride, 3 hours back to Talkeetna. And 3 hours each way is on a good day - no accidents, no mud or rock slides, no slow RV's ahead of you, etc. You spend as much time transiting as in the park, which is a shame.

Anything less than the 8 hour round trip Eielson shuttle means you give up the prime bear viewing area between Toklat and Eielson.

The itineraries suggested to you in the other thread are excellent and should be considered.

Archived