Kids w/Swim Diapers CAN Swim on Princess Cruises

Suzanne2

I called Princess and children who are NOT potty trained CAN swim in all the pools with a Swim Diaper.

My children (1 and 3) LOVE swimming and I just didn't know how I was going to explain the no swimming policy to them, so this is HUGE for my family.

Do swim diapers or swim pants prevent fecal matter from entering the water?

Not likely.

Swim diapers are unlikely to prevent diarrhea (which may contain germs) from leaking into the pool. Even though diapers or swim pants may hold in some feces, they are not leak proof and can still contaminate the pool water. Therefore, it is recommended that you change your child often and make frequent trips to the toilet. Swim diapers or pants are not a remedy for frequent diaper changing.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyswimming/...mmers_print.htm

According to CDC, you might as well throw them in naked for all the good that swim diapers will do.

That's awesome-thanks for letting me know! I want to be able to take my 20-month-old swimming next month on our cruise since he loves the water. He's got a strong immune system so I'm not too afraid of germs and he probably wouldn't put his face in the water anyway. We're going on a 10-day cruise and just found out that 2 of our 6 ports are cancelled, so we're going to have alot of sea days, and I would be so sad if I couldn't take my boy into the pool during those many days at sea. Yippee! :D

I posted the same message on the Princess thread and they called my children "fecal tea bags" and "Mr Nasty Pants" and said that Princess won't allow them in the pool with swim diapers. Now I just don't know what to think. They said Princess lied to me on the phone.

I can't believe people would call kids those names. I've cruised on Princess for 10 years and hope this isn't a sign of the way they are going to treat my children on the ship. I know some kids are out of control on board, but mine are not and have wonderful manners. I am really dismayed by the comments about me being a horrible mother for letting my children swim in public pools in swim diapers.

Im sorry that people called your kids names. Now thats really sad. I also dont think the person at princess lied to you- i trully believe they just dont know what they are talking about. Its only since the outbreak of Norwalk Viruses that the ships have taken this rule of no swim diapers into consideration for the pools. Not only is it unsafe for your child but its also unsafe for everyone who swims in the same pool as your child.

If you call customer service 5 times and ask the same question- I bet youdont get the same answer.

I ws really surprised that someone told you that your kids can swim with diapers on. This is a well known rule that has been in effect for quite some time. Just be prepared when you are onboard.

Suzanne, name calling is against the rules here at cruise critic and you should report it. You should contact a host and let them know about the situation. Your post will more than likely go "poof" and be no more in no time.

Children who are not potty trained that swim in the pool is a very touchy subject here at cruise critic. I've seen the same name calling nastiness on several other boards when this subject is brought up. Regardless of how a person feels about a subject, rude comments and nasty name calling is just a sign of bad manners and overall lack of intelligence. Don't feel too bad, anyone who would make the statement you did would probably get "flamed" pretty bad.:(

Don't take the way they behaved on the boards as an indication of how cruisers will treat your kids while cruising. After all of the kid bashing here on the boards, I was worried about how my kids would be treated on board. I soon realized that the behavior here on the boards was not indicative of the behavior on the ship. Everyone was very polite and friendly toward my 2 kids. They are not as young as yours and didn't start cruising until they were 3 and 6, but they really enjoyed their cruise. Now, we always take them along.:D

I posted the same message on the Princess thread and they called my children "fecal tea bags" and "Mr Nasty Pants" and said that Princess won't allow them in the pool with swim diapers. Now I just don't know what to think. They said Princess lied to me on the phone.

I can't believe people would call kids those names. I've cruised on Princess for 10 years and hope this isn't a sign of the way they are going to treat my children on the ship. I know some kids are out of control on board, but mine are not and have wonderful manners. I am really dismayed by the comments about me being a horrible mother for letting my children swim in public pools in swim diapers.

Suzanne,

People weren't calling your children Fecal Tea bags or Mr. Nasty pants. They were using those terms in reference to swim diapers.

There are signs posted on board that nonpotty trained children can't swim in the pool. Doesn't matter what the Princess rep said - rules on board over rule anything corporate will say.

Many resorts and public pools are now restricting nonpotty trained children from swimming in pools due to ecoli and other bacteria. It's ok in your backyard but not in a public pool. Why expose your children or other people?

You knew you were posting on a hot topic....why the thin skin?

I am a mommy of a 17 month old - hopefully she will be potty trained for her next cruise.

Suzanne,

If you didn't know, then why the post with CAN in caps - ie 'yelling'?

"Kids w/Swim Diapers CAN Swim on Princess Cruises"

Why did you call Princess and ask if you didn't think it was a hot topic? You must have read other threads.......

Also, you didn't give any credence to people who gave you links to the CDC etc. You were not open to anyone's opinion but your own.

Personally, I think it's a tough rule but a safe one. Kinda like trying to put a toddler in a car seat when they don't want to be in one :) .

I tend to compare it to the dawn of car seats:

I survived not being put in a car seat when i was a toddler so why should I put my child in a car seat? I don't think anyone today would question the use of a car seat, but I bet there was a lot of flack when states first started imposing car seat rules. There is a lot of grousing with parents in the states that are imposing booster seat rules for children up to 80 lbs. We have a lot more safety information and data today than before.....Same with diapers in pools.

but I wouldn't really bring my diaper-aged children into those pools either. We shouldn't worry about kids in diapers but kids between the ages of 3 (not in diapers) to 13 who could potentially pee in the pool if they can't make it out in time. I'm always wary of public pool when lots of children are present. I don't think they can clean the pool fast enough!

My father is an avid swimmer and swims religiously twice a day when on a cruise. The last time he swam on one of the Princess ships, he ended up with red-eye (infection of the eye). It was a good thing that I had Eurythromeycin with me and treated his condition.

My point is if your ports of call are beach areas, just take your children off the ship to enjoy the beaches or one of the luxurious hotel pools. We did.

I think some of the Grand size Princess ships may have kiddie wading pools in the kids' club areas. Maybe that's the pool which allows kids in swim diapers. But as far as I know, kids in swim diapers are not allowed in Princess ships' pools.

HTH.

Jennifer

In the Carnival documents it says that there is a wading pool provided for young children. Then a couple of sentences later it says no children allowed in pool in diapers or children not potty trained. Do you think they are going to allow children to swim in the children's wading pool with a swim diaper? My son is 2 1/2 and is half-way potty trained. He has tee-tee under control, but we are still working on #2. Maybe he will be trained by our cuise in another 3 weeks, but I am not looking forward to the wars when he sees the pools and can't get in. We went swimming all summer and he will not be able to understand why he can't go.

"If you didn't know, then why the post with CAN in caps - ie 'yelling'?

"Kids w/Swim Diapers CAN Swim on Princess Cruises"

Why did you call Princess and ask if you didn't think it was a hot topic?"

Because I had seen one post that said you could not, and I wasn't sure if the person was right so I called Princess to find out. We are leaving on 2 back to back Princess cruises a week from tomorrow, so I wanted to find out for packing purposes.

I have been on 6 Princess Cruises. Then DH and I took 3 years off while we had our two kids. This is the 1st time we are crusing with children and had absolutely NO IDEA that this was an issue at all.

I was stunned at the response I got. I honestly had no idea it was such a huge deal here. We live in a town of 20K in Kansas where everyone and everything is kid friendly, so I wasn't prepared for this at all.

I was recently on the Golden and had no problems with my 2yr old in swim diapers in the pool. There are signs at every pool that say "children with diapers not allowed in the pool". It doesn't specify if it means all diapers or non swim type diapers. My DH was worried that someone would throw us out of the pool so we folded down the top of the waistband and made sure his swimshorts were always covering it. We also always went swimming in the least crowed pool. I wasn't worried about my son pooping in the pool because he is very predictable about potty times. My son would have been crushed if he wasn't able to so swimming. The pool was his favorite part of the ship.

"I was stunned at the response I got. I honestly had no idea it was such a huge deal here. We live in a town of 20K in Kansas where everyone and everything is kid friendly, so I wasn't prepared for this at all.
Sorry you got such snotty responses. Some of us ARE kid-friendly and don't freak out about babies in pools. :D I hope you have an awesome trip!!!

I like kids just fine, and I don't freak out about babies in pools. It's poop in pools that freaks me out - either the baby or adult variety. I'm no happier about adults wearing Depends in the pool than I am about babies in diapers - swim or otherwise. Sometimes parents (not all parents) act as though baby poop is some sort of special non-toxic substance. Sorry, it's just as unwelcome as the adult variety.

Archived