Closest to San Pedro - LAX or LGB

Can anyone tell me which airport is closest to the cruise port in San Pedro, LAX or LGB. I'm looking at a JetBlue flight out of LGB at 10:40AM

the day our cruise comes back into port. I don't think I would even consider a flight that early if I have to use LAX. Thanks for any info.

As everyone has correctly said Long Beach is much closer than LAX. Just check with your cruise line before you book the air to see what the earliest flight they recommend you booking.

Just undrerstand that sometimes ships are cleared later than expected should insufficient customs personnel come on board. When we boarded our ship earlier this year the previous voyage had been delayed a couple of hours as there were not enough customs people. So, also be sure to understand what the penalty would be should you miss your flight.

Keith

The downside of LGB is far fewer flights than LAX. JetBlue and Alaska are the predominant airlines at LGB; Delta and USAir have flights to SLC and PHX on regional jets with several flights daily. If you find a flight out of LGB at an acceptable time and fare, go for it!

From San Pedro, SNA is a 3rd option but it is the farthest of the three. However there more flights and airlines than LGB. Ship to plane time can rival LAX depending on traffic and LAX security delays. The Sunday paper lists fares out of all the LA-area airports to various destination. LGB tended to have the highest fares. Compared to LAX, about 2/3 of the SNA fares were the same or lower while the rest were horrendously more expen$ive.

I always fly Ft. Lauderdale to Long Beach on Jet Blue to cruise out of San Pedro. I love Long Beach so much I even stay at least 1 or 2 days pre-cruise.

Nice city, lot's to do. Just take a cab to the port in San Pedro.

I live in Miami, but drive to Ft. Lauderdale to take Jet Blue, great prices as well. I would avoid LAX if you can.

• 8 months later...

We flew to LGB for a cruise last Nov. Very small airport which was nice for dropping off luggage, you are about 20 feet from curb to counter. You go outside to get on the plane and luggage pick up is outside as well.

Only problem I had was one piece of luggage didn't show up on are arrival and there was no one at the counter for about 20 minutes after our flight got in. Lights were off no around to ask for help...finally someone showed up. :rolleyes:

I'd fly into there again though if cruising from LGB...very convenient!

the 2 hotels that are used most in SP are Crown Plaza and Doubletree.Both have shuttles. We have stayed at DT a number of times andf always had great experiences. The breakfast is good, the shuttles are timely and we always take advantage of the park and cruise option and leave our car there rather than paying each night at the terminal

Archived