restaurants in Moorea

2morrow

Ia orana, you rang ?

Best restaurants (personal favorites) are:

# Aito near the Sheraton. make a reservation and shoot for Friday or monday night for the excellent live band. Also for the fans many have spotted the local celebrity there Jan Prince (of" Tahiti and French polynesia guide" fame).

# Chez Roger / Honu iti on cooks bay for a special seat down dinnewr by the bay. Priciest but also the favorite for the locals for a special night out. Classic french cuisine there,.

# Chez Jean-pierre, at the end of Cooks bay for a fusion Chinese and Tahitian cuisine.

# Luciano pizza ( located near the Pearl Resort on the way to the airport, mountainside) Best value for the money

great choices of pizzas salads and regular dishes for a great price.

Try the luciano pizza with a salade paysanne ( and come back to write about it ).

In the Village of Maharepa, try Carameline for the chocolate coconut filled croissants ( addictive !!!).

I hope this helps

meherio

Ia orana

Aito would offer better value for your money.

The setting is more tahitian, by the lagoon with a great selection of fresh fish ( most sometimes unheard of but so good).

Try to get there on a Friday or monday evening for the live entertainment, the group is sooo good.

Meherio

• 3 weeks later...

Avoid the Blue Pineapple. Lovely setting on the water but the food and service were terrible. Part of a hotel - its lauded in guide books. Pass it.

Chez Roger has an excellent reputation (Honu Iti) with folks on the island. I am so sorry we missed out.

Ia orana,

Sorry to read your last post. Understanding that the forum is here to pass on personal comments, experiences and advice. i need to add one from a part time resident on Moorea. I have frequented the blue pineapple ( on either side of the road since the original one that burned a few years back was among my favorite spots to pick up my first meal on Moorea upon arrival) for the last 7 years.

The welcome offered by Virginie and Tiare has always been the highlight of our lunches experienced there.The compulsory order for us are the Chevrette curry (soft water shrimps served in a coconut milk curry sauce) for meherio vahine and chevrette cru ( like the poisson cru marinated in coconut milk and lime jiuice , the chevrette are prepared in the same manner) for your truly.

For the comment of the travel guide, I personnally only follow my " bible " written by Jean Prince " Tahiti and French polynesia Guide ". Jan is the only writer who lives on Moorea (compared with visiting writers for the other guides) and has on many occasions been spotted at the blue pineapple

( proof that the food and service there is as described in her guide).

The subject of the other travel guide brings its loads of interesting revision of information like the Linareva with 3 more bungalows than what one can count if ever on the grounds .... That alone made me put back that other Tahiti guide on the shelf.

Standing by my initial listing of places where the locals go to eat on the regular basis.

meherio

• 3 months later...

I highly recommend Allo's Pizza- walk up counter or table - they also deliver. Fresh, wood fired pizza after a relaxing day on the beach is perfect if you are looking for something fast and inexpensive. Also I would say Sheraton's beach bar is great for a fish burger and fries while watching the sunset over the OWB's.

Hi, I second that Aito's is a fun and good place to go. We had wonderful food and really enjoyed our time there (although not on a music night). We stayed at the Sheraton Moorea and loved it, by the way. The folk from Aito's picked us up for our meal and returned us (we gave a tip, of course).....And I also second that the food at the Sheraton in the open air restaurant was fun (the service was off one night when we were there) and tasty and very reasonalbly priced.

• 3 months later...

Any updates on Moorea restaurant suggestions? Also, are there any places particularly good for a vegetarian (no fish or any meat of any kind; dairy and eggs are fine) or places to avoid?

Thanks!

Any updates on Moorea restaurant suggestions? Also, are there any places particularly good for a vegetarian (no fish or any meat of any kind; dairy and eggs are fine) or places to avoid?

Thanks!

Here is the info I found on where to eat we when to Moorea. It's almost 2 years old at this point so some things may have changed .

Aito - Good selection of seafood and meat dishes. Poisson cru was excellent with homemade chili pepper condiment. Very good Bloody Marys. Desserts very good: Banana crepes and baked papaya with coconut creme dessert were excellent. Great view of the lagoon with nice breeze.

Allo’s Pizza - near Club Bali Hai, will deliver to most hotels.

Alfredo’s – ( recommended ) nice ambiance, good food, better than most in service.

Some visitors report the food as so-so.

Blue Pineapple (L’ananas bleu) - located at the Club Bali Hai on Cook’s Bay, serves breakfast and lunch, great hamburgers and fresh seafood.

Carameline's: in Maharepa shopping center, walking distance from Moorea Pearl. Wonderul crepes, pastries and french fare. reasonable

Chez Michelle - at Cook’s Bay, next to the bridge, small place, Internet access available, good food with reasonable prices.

Chez Capo - located in Moorea Airport, nice place, very good Polynesian specialty food.

Coco D'Isle - at Hauru Point. Just down the road from Roulotte Royal chicken. Tel:56 59 07. Saturday night they have a live trio playing Tahitian music and a dancing performance. Traditional Tahitian food served in scooped out coconut shells. Also serve pizzas. Packed with locals. Dinner for 2 which included one entree, 2 mains and a bottle of wine was 7000 CFP.

La Licorne d'Or (Gold Unicorn) - Might be the finest on Moorea and certainly the prettiest. A ways south of the Sheraton, but they pick up and deliver (in an ancient Fiat).

Le Nouveau Monde - at Cook’s Bay, new management, rated highly by the locals.

Le Cocotier - excellent French Food. Near the Pear Resort.

Le Mahogany - nice ambiance, very good French, Tahitian and Chinese food.

Near the Pear Resort.

Le Motu Pizza - across from Club Med, excellent sandwiches and burgers.

Le Plantation - very nice, tropical plantation type ambiance.

Le Pecheur - on Cooks Bay, no other details

Le Sud restaurant is a 5 minute walk from the Pearl in Maharepa. Seemed to be a good mix of locals and tourists. Fairly large menu with lots of seafood/shellfish, southern French preparations, and pizza.

Les Tipaniers - nice place, good food.

Mayflower – Very good French Food, friendly staff, try the Curry Shrimp

Maria Tapas, ( lunch) which is about a five minute walk into town from the Peal Resort

Pizza Daniel - near marker 34, close to Haapiti, very unique setting and great pizza.

Roulotte Chez Mariana - in Maharepa. It's in the magasin parking lot right next to Le Mahogany. She's not there Mondays and Tuesdays. Best Chao men, poisson cru, and boeuf au legumes anywhere on the island.

roulotte (Royal Chicken) - on the road between the Hibiscus and Moorea Village for some of the best rotisserie chicken ever, call for take out/pickup

Roulotte Tavairai - in Maharepa. Look for the christmas lights and it has a semi permanent hut where you eat. Excellent chao men and poisson cru.

Roulotte in Pao Pao - at the mouth of Opunohu bay as you are coming from CBH. It's between the Sheraton and the sailing school. It's also semi permanent, with a very small trailer and a separate cooking area. It has separate toilettes too. It's easiest to find if you look for the two 10x20 portable tents (car type) set up to shelter you as you eat. Excellent food.

Roulotte (Jules and Claudine )- at the wharf in Pao Pao. This is in walking distance from Club Bali Hai, before the supermarche. It has lots of bright yellow tables and chairs to eat at.

Roulotte Papetoai - near the magasin in the main part of the village

Sheraton Moorea BBQ - excellent food, very nice time.

Te Honu Iti - up scale, expensive, romantic, one of the nicest places on Moorea. Ask for a table by the railing so you can watch and feed the fish.

Tortuga’s – a good Pizza and Itallian seafood place, located n Haapiti between the

Hibiscus and Moorea Village hotels.

Archived