History of the name "Grills"

AMScruiser

I don't know if this is a very silly question that has been answered a hundred times or that the answer is obvious for any 'native' english speaker but I'll put it to you anyway:

Where does the word "grill" for the upper level accomodation/restaurants historically stem from?

Many thanks for your input,

Bas.

I actually agree with you, really good question, where did the grills name come from ? I must admit i am in a Q5 this week but never understood the grills name... why not name it say premier or gold or first class... grills to stupid americans sounds like a bbq. and believe me i have met them all, they think europe is acountry. lol...

Ed

On the Cunard "Queens", the Grills originated with the Verandah Grill, first aboard the RMS Queen Mary and then the RMS Queen Elizabeth.

These were small First-Class-only , reservations-only venues for lunch, dinner, and late-night entertainment.

They were considered to be the most exclusive rooms at sea, and amongst the most desireable places in the world to "see and be seen".

Tables for a particular crossing would be booked solid months ahead of time.

The idea of a smaller thus more exclusive place on board for First Class passengers didn't originate with the Cunard Queens though.

Germany's Hamburg-Amerika Line pioneered the concept over a century ago, in partnership with a Mr. Ritz and the Grill Restaurant of the Ritz-Carlton Hotel

On the Cunard "Queens", the Grills originated with the Verandah Grill, first aboard the RMS Queen Mary and then the RMS Queen Elizabeth.

These were small First-Class-only , reservations-only venues for lunch, dinner, and late-night entertainment.

They were considered to be the most exclusive rooms at sea, and amongst the most desireable places in the world to "see and be seen".

Tables for a particular crossing would be booked solid months ahead of time.

The idea of a smaller thus more exclusive place on board for First Class passengers didn't originate with the Cunard Queens though.

Germany's Hamburg-Amerika Line pioneered the concept over a century ago, in partnership with a Mr. Ritz and the Grill Restaurant of the Ritz-Carlton Hotel

Thanks for those details. But it still leaves open the question where the TERM Grill comes from. Why did the Ritz-Carlton name their top restaurant thus?

If my memory serves me correctly, the first restaurant called the "Grill Room" was opened on the HAPAG liner "Deutschland" of 1901. It was designed as as "extra tariff" eating place which was open outside normal restaurant hours where items such as chops and steaks could be ordered.

A few years later, Albert Ballin, as head of Hapag, contracted with the Ritz Cartlon organisation opened a more extravagent affair on the Kaiserin Auguste Victoria culminating with the fanatatsic creations on the "Imperator Trio" from 1913, where Msr. Escoffier was the "Todd English" celeb chef of hs day.

In fact, HAPAG offered a discount for those pax willing to eat in the "Grill".

White Star introduced "Gatti's" on their Olympic trio as their extra tariff resturant, but there was a bit of a black mark when their staff mysteriously "went missing" on the Titanic.

Cunard had a "Grill Room" on the "Aquitania", of 1914, but this was not an extra tariff restaurant, rather an overspill for the first class restaurant.

Transat then added a "Grill Room" on their fabulous "Normandie" of 1935, followed by the Verandah Grill on the Queen Mary the following year......

Both liners had their "super first-class" restaurants aft on the Sun deck, high up and away from the other publc rooms.

Cunard resurrected the "Grill" as a way of "eating out" for first class on the QE2, now re-named "Princess Grill". The rest is history.

I hope this hasn't bored you too much!

:)

If my memory serves me correctly, the first restaurant called the "Grill Room" was opened on the HAPAG liner "Deutschland" of 1901. It was designed as as "extra tariff" eating place which was open outside normal restaurant hours where items such as chops and steaks could be ordered.

A few years later, Albert Ballin, as head of Hapag, contracted with the Ritz Cartlon organisation opened a more extravagent affair on the Kaiserin Auguste Victoria culminating with the fanatatsic creations on the "Imperator Trio" from 1913, where Msr. Escoffier was the "Todd English" celeb chef of hs day.

In fact, HAPAG offered a discount for those pax willing to eat in the "Grill".

White Star introduced "Gatti's" on their Olympic trio as their extra tariff resturant, but there was a bit of a black mark when their staff mysteriously "went missing" on the Titanic.

Cunard had a "Grill Room" on the "Aquitania", of 1914, but this was not an extra tariff restaurant, rather an overspill for the first class restaurant.

Transat then added a "Grill Room" on their fabulous "Normandie" of 1935, followed by the Verandah Grill on the Queen Mary the following year......

Both liners had their "super first-class" restaurants aft on the Sun deck, high up and away from the other publc rooms.

Cunard resurrected the "Grill" as a way of "eating out" for first class on the QE2, now re-named "Princess Grill". The rest is history.

I hope this hasn't bored you too much!

:)

Bored??? No I find this stuff fascinating. Do you mean on the "Deutschland"the chops and streaks were actually grilled and hence the name?

ps: The original Grill Room was called that so that short order fast meals could be ordered for an extra cost outside regular restaurant hours.

The later creations on the "Imperator" class vessels were merely called "Ritz-Carlton" restaurants, not Grills because they were full scale restaurants.

The name came from Caesar "Ritz" and the "Carlton" hotel, in London, long since demolished. Hope this helps! :)

Archived